Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008
I'm typing this from my PS3 so if the txt gets cut short please forgive me. Anyway, let me know if you need help. Check my thread on the Blu Ray Drive Fix for more visual support. I can't link those here at the moment but will probably be better able to help you later on when I get back to my computer
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 11 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Well I found out that one "metall wing" wasnt touching the rail that the lens is skliding on. So I just bent it back.

Now the disc spins and reads cds, but not the freakin' blu ray games ¤#!"&%

Ill test out some dvds, but its the blurays I wont working.

I just cant catch a break here

Now I will probably have to spend a new couple of hours researching the net for why the blu ray discs wont be read.... 'sigh' ..

Btw tiguy99 thanks for the help, you at least made the disc spin

If you know anything about this non bluray reading prob., then Ill be glad to here your thoughts

Edit: Btw my lens came from China (ps3 from US), so is it possible it wont play US games? Even though the stupid thing is supposed to play all regions ?

Message Edited by thostby on 12-13-2008 05:10 AM
Message 12 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

Well I found out that one "metall wing" wasnt touching the rail that the lens is skliding on. So I just bent it back.

Now the disc spins and reads cds, but not the freakin' blu ray games ¤#!"&%

Ill test out some dvds, but its the blurays I wont working.

I just cant catch a break here

Now I will probably have to spend a new couple of hours researching the net for why the blu ray discs wont be read.... 'sigh' ..

Btw tiguy99 thanks for the help, you at least made the disc spin

If you know anything about this non bluray reading prob., then Ill be glad to here your thoughts

Edit: Btw my lens came from China (ps3 from US), so is it possible it wont play US games? Even though the stupid thing is supposed to play all regions ?

Message Edited by thostby on 12-13-2008 05:10 AM

If it's a new drive you will need to remove the (Anti-Static solder point in order to read the blu ray's)..If it's a used drive you have to make sure you got the correct drive for you ps3...You can't put in a 60gb drive into a 40gb system drift the point.....SWIFF....
Message Edited by sickswiff on 12-13-2008 06:01 AM
Message 13 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 13, 2008

Ok, no its a new one, can you link me a picture with where the soldier point is, I think I know where, but to be safe.

And do I need some special tools? soldiering tools? I dont have that lying around atm.

Message 14 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2009 posts

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

I changed my lens (the hole deck) after figuring out it was the lens that was the problem.

Now I can't get my ps to spin any discs at all.

What could be the source of this problem?

Anyone had same problem and got it fixed?

I've been looking at so many forums now, but can't find a clear answer to the not spinning problem.

Should I get a new PS3 Driver IC BD7956FS or a Drive Board for PS3 ?

The lens I bought was the 400aaa or so, with the brown clip.

Appreciate all replies (except: ppl telling me to send it to sony, that is not an option!)

One of the failure modes of the PS3 that gives a disk error message results in the disk not spinning at all.  People think that it just doesn't read the disk; however, the disk doesn't spin at all.  Maybe, just maybe, that was your  error from the beginning and replacing the lens wouldn't have helped solve the problem.

Message 15 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

Ok, no its a new one, can you link me a picture with where the soldier point is, I think I know where, but to be safe.

And do I need some special tools? Soldiering tools? I don't have that lying around ATM.

You will need a soldiering iron/gun...Let me get you that link hold on a min.
Message 16 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2009 posts

Dec 13, 2008

tjnamtiw wrote:

thostby wrote:

I changed my lens (the hole deck) after figuring out it was the lens that was the problem.

I've been looking at so many forums now, but can't find a clear answer to the not spinning problem.

Appreciate all replies (except: ppl telling me to send it to sony, that is not an option!)

One of the failure modes of the PS3 that gives a disk error message results in the disk not spinning at all.  People think that it just doesn't read the disk; however, the disk doesn't spin at all.  Maybe, just maybe, that was your  error from the beginning and replacing the lens wouldn't have helped solve the problem.

OOPS, I should have read all the posts.  I see you got it to spin.  Are you sure you got the right lens system?  Isn't there a separate lens of BR discs???
Message 17 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

Dec 13, 2008

tjnamtiw wrote:

thostby wrote:

He's changing the complete deck....Not just the lens and it's a new one so once he removes the points then he will be o.k that his problem he didn't take the Antic points out the new lens...SWIFF.....
Message Edited by sickswiff on 12-13-2008 06:27 AM
Message 18 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Dec 13, 2008

tjnamtiw wrote:

thostby wrote:

I had the "loading forever circle" in the top right corner. When I replaced the lens it wasnt there anymore, and I have fixed the spinning error myself, there was a metal wing that didnt touch the rail that the laser moves on, so I bent it back and voila.

Now it seems obvious that I just need to fix the antistatic soldier.

Message 19 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5010 posts

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

tjnamtiw wrote:

thostby wrote:

I had the "loading forever circle" in the top right corner. When I replaced the lens it wasnt there anymore, and I have fixed the spinning error myself, there was a metal wing that didnt touch the rail that the laser moves on, so I bent it back and voila.

Now it seems obvious that I just need to fix the antistatic soldier.

Give me 1 more min..My pc is running slow today.
Message 20 of 31 (1,359 Views)
0 Likes