Reply
Dec 13 2008
By: thostby First Son 25 posts
Offline

PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

30 replies 3869 views Edited Dec 13, 2008

I changed my lens (the hole deck) after figuring out it was the lens that was the problem.

Now I can't get my ps to spin any discs at all.

What could be the source of this problem?

 

Anyone had same problem and got it fixed?

 

I've been looking at so many forums now, but can't find a clear answer to the not spinning problem.

 

Should I get a new PS3 Driver IC BD7956FS or a Drive Board for PS3 ?

 

The lens I bought was the 400aaa or so, with the brown clip.

 

 

Appreciate all replies (except: ppl telling me to send it to sony, that is not an option!)

 

 

 

 

Message 1 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/05/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

I changed my lens (the hole deck) after figuring out it was the lens that was the problem.

Now I can't get my ps to spin any discs at all.

What could be the source of this problem?

 

Anyone had same problem and got it fixed?

 

I've been looking at so many forums now, but can't find a clear answer to the not spinning problem.

 

Should I get a new PS3 Driver IC BD7956FS or a Drive Board for PS3 ?

 

The lens I bought was the 400aaa or so, with the brown clip.

 

 

Appreciate all replies (except: ppl telling me to send it to sony, that is not an option!)

 

 

 

 


 

Something's not lining up right. Go back, open up your PS3 again and reopen the blu ray drive down to the laser deck.....

put your old one back in and test it again.

 

There are 2 causes of your new drive not spinning discs....one things aren't lined up properly. 2 one of your cables isn't plugged in properly.

 

double check, triple check and come back and post your results....if you're still getting the same problem, let me know and I'll walk you through it. I think I have an idea what it could be but I want you to see if you can catch it first.

 

Is your system accepting discs at all or do you have to force them in?

Message Edited by tiguy99 on 12-12-2008 06:57 PM
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 2 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/19/2008
Offline
25 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

The ps3 is accepting all discs as normal.

 

The first two times I put the ps back together I got a strange clackclackclack sound and the disc wouldnt eject.

 

Third time was the "lucky" one, but now the disc wont spin at all.

 

I will open it again, now that Im a ps3 dissasembly pro, but I can swear the cables are inserted correct and I think everything is in its proper place.

 

Ill post back when I have probably failed againSmiley Happy

 

Message 3 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/19/2008
Offline
25 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

Ok, now I have put the old lens back in, still no spinning, but the loading circle is spinning...... forever, like before.

 

So the problem is something/hardware/controller-unit etc? is causing it not to spin..? and maybe the lens is still defect.. or not..

With the new lens it doenst show a loading circle more than a sec or so, like if you start up with no disc.. it doesnt acknowledge the disc maybe?

 

 

Message 4 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 08/12/2007
Offline
2156 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

just curious... is this what you used to replace your old one? I'm of no help but I have this bookmarked for the future.

 

http://store.richspsxparts.com/pl3laaskeke.html

 

 

Message 5 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/19/2008
Offline
25 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008
Yeah thats it wiskey_14
Message 6 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 08/28/2007
Offline
2627 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008
Ahhh i may be worng, but you may have bought a wrong lens. I think you need a KES not KEM. I'm not sure here but it could be the problem. I's do a little research on it. Search up "KEM les for ps3" or something and see what you get.
Message 7 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/19/2008
Offline
25 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

Kes is only the laser part while kem is the name of the bracket that holds the laser (bracket usually comes with laser) 

 

http://store.richspsxparts.com/pl3laaskeke.html

 

See under "Product description"

Message Edited by thostby on 12-12-2008 06:48 PM
Message 8 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 08/28/2007
Offline
2627 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

Kes is only the laser part while kem is the name of the bracket that holds the laser (bracket usually comes with laser) 

 

http://store.richspsxparts.com/pl3laaskeke.html

 

See under "Product description"

Message Edited by thostby on 12-12-2008 06:48 PM

Ohh sorry man. I didin't see it. Once again sorry. It could be a bad lens though.

Message 9 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 12/05/2008
Offline
308 posts
 

Re: PS3 disc not spinning after replacing lens

Dec 13, 2008

thostby wrote:

The ps3 is accepting all discs as normal.

 

The first two times I put the ps back together I got a strange clackclackclack sound and the disc wouldnt eject.

 

Third time was the "lucky" one, but now the disc wont spin at all.

 

I will open it again, now that Im a ps3 dissasembly pro, but I can swear the cables are inserted correct and I think everything is in its proper place.

 

Ill post back when I have probably failed againSmiley Happy

 


I bet your forgetting to checkone thing.....the new lense assembly probably doesn't come with these two things you desperately need in order to swap out any laser part... Flip your old laser over. Locate the white plastic gear guide. Also, locate the small L shaped metalwing looking flap. Do you see them? Next grab the new KEM-400AAA part and take a look and see if these two pieces are on the laser itself. If not, remove the new laser and mount them on
PS3 60GB w/ Self Replaced ($60.00) KES-400AAA laser on 12/11/08....STILL going strong!
Message 10 of 31 (3,869 Views)
Reply
0 Likes