Jan 29 2012
By: war_admiral77 First Son 3 posts

PS3 disc cracks

5 replies 1066 views Edited Jan 29, 2012

I've seen a couple posts here about it but I needed to make one myself

My NBA 2K12 game has cracked... like literally cracked... before that it had those crack lines from the center of the disc to the edge but now its cracked from the center... and the thing is that it happened while it was in the PS3

I'm sure its the PS3 at fault (I have a 160 GB slim)... because all of a sudden i checked my other games and they have disc cracks from the center to the edge of the disc as well... so to think that all the publishers have messed up their discs just seemed dumb. And I take good care of my games as well, never leaving them out or pressing too hard down to release them from the game covers

Previous posts i've read only seem toward specific games like Modern Warfare or Fifa... but all my games have cracks on em... even the newer ones I've just got like Little Big Planet 2... funny thing was I didn't even notice it until 2K12 stopped working, and I had to check what's wrong

I'm not playing any games right now fear of any more games cracking... should I just try to get a replacement for the PS3? It has been less than a year so I'm sure the warranty is still there (haven't checked).. is there anything they can do about my 2k12 as well?

Message 1 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: PS3 disc cracks

Jan 29, 2012

for your discs that are cracked, you can email the developer or publishers for each specific game and tell them the problem. They COULD give you a mailing address so you can mail them the defective discs and they will give you replacement discs free of charge seeing as how its a 1 for 1 swap.

I've have had disc issues with PS2 dvd discs before and I emailed the developer/publisher and I mailed them the defective disc and I was greeted with a brand new disc free of charge (not including shipping costs to send them the bad discs)

However, I have yet to find any defects with my 80Gb CECHE01 PS3 or my discs.

I would WAIT until you get replacement discs and see if the issue comes up again and then call Sony.

In the mean time I would keep records of everything, even making a video for arcival purposes so if Sony wants to claim ignorance, you can ask to speak to a supervisor or manager and email them all of your findings.

How long do you have before your warranty is expired?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 29, 2012

I got it in June as a gift (I still have a gift receipt). Didn't get any warranty with it as far as I know. Always under the impression it came with a 1-year warranty

I'll take ur advice and email the publishers and see if they can send me a replacement disc.

My cousin owns a couple PS3s as well, much older 60 gig versions but I'll have to check his games as well

Message 3 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29186 posts

Jan 29, 2012

In order for the console to crack a disc it would have to use some rather excessive force, or spin rapidly enough to the point where centrifugal force would be enough to physically damage the disc. The latter would take something over 23,000 RPMs. Which I don't believe the PS3's drive is capable of. 

My advice would be to take a look at how you're handling them. If you're removing the discs from the cases by prying them from the edge, rather than pressing on the center button, you very may well be damaging them without knowing.

Message 4 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 29, 2012

That's whats confusing about this

It possibly couldn't be me handling the disc wrong cause I usually leave the disc in the system after i'm done playing for the day...and NBA 2K12 is basically what i'm playing nowadays whenever i have the time. The other games that I use to play do have disc cracks in them as well, just not as severe/noticeable

NBA 2k12's disc broke when it was IN the PS3. It had lines of disc cracks stretching from the center already but the disc didn't physically break until I put it in the system

Message 5 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
29186 posts

Jan 29, 2012

war_admiral77 wrote:

That's whats confusing about this

It possibly couldn't be me handling the disc wrong cause I usually leave the disc in the system after i'm done playing for the day...and NBA 2K12 is basically what i'm playing nowadays whenever i have the time. The other games that I use to play do have disc cracks in them as well, just not as severe/noticeable

NBA 2k12's disc broke when it was IN the PS3. It had lines of disc cracks stretching from the center already but the disc didn't physically break until I put it in the system

Ever hear the expression "the straw the broke the camels back"? The disc was already broken, putting it in the PS3 just finished the job.

Here's the thing; It may be possible that there's a problem with the discs being damaged by the machine. However, it's very likely that you might be damaging them yourself without knowing. You may say "oh but I didn't do anything", but SOMETHING had to damage the discs, and it may have inadvertently been you. You can not dismiss that as a possibility, and you have to take that into account as well. You have to examine the entire process from the time you unwrap a game, take it out of the case, to the time you put it in the machine, take it out, and put it back in the case. No stone should go unturned until you isolate the problem.

Message 6 of 6 (1,066 Views)
0 Likes