Feb 04 2011
By: Breadbiscuit First Son 23 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 controller button problems

10 replies 10113 views Edited Feb 4, 2011

Ok I've had my PS3 120 GB Slim for about a year now and I've used the controller that came with the PS3 for the majority of that time and I am now having problems with my controller. When I play games like COD: Black Ops and MW2, sometimes when I go to sprint by pressing L3 my character sprints for a split second then goes back to normal speed and keeps doing this until my character dies, then he sprints normally. Also my biggest problem is the square button. It presses on it's own without me pressing it or it sticking. Like on the home screen of my PS3 when you go to something you can sort by pressing square it will rapidly switch from stuff like format to date to all and back to format. Also when I play COD when I start to shoot my character immediately reloads without me pressing square. I've already tried taking my controller apart and I see no problem internally.

Any help?

Message 1 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: PS3 controller button problems

Feb 4, 2011

If you have taken apart your ps3 controller, have you checked the rubber pads of the buttons and see if their worn out?

Message 2 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Feb 4, 2011

Have you spilled anything on the controller? It almost sounds like sticky buttons from having dried pop or juice spilled on the controller.

Message 3 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Feb 5, 2011

No to either of those things. I haven't ever spilled anything on the controller or damaged it in any way. Just wear-and-tear from use is the only damage I've noticed and it's nothing to do with my problem I don't think. I have taken the controller apart to the point of lifting the circuit board and looking. I didn't want to mess it up so I went no further. I didn't go far enough to see back of buttons.

Message 4 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 5, 2011

Wipe the circuit board contacts with a pencil eraser and wipe off the contacts and rubbers with a damp cloth.

Message 5 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
309 posts

Feb 5, 2011

If you dont want to open it up like mustang902 suggests. Take a q-tip lightly dipped in rubbing alchohol and wipe the buttons and the insides of both thumbsticks. Youd be suprised of the gunk that will come off. I was having similar problems with the thumbsticks, though not as drastic, and this cured my controller.

Get your Portable ID!

Message 6 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Feb 9, 2011

By the way my controller is a Dualshock 3 Sixxaxis

Message 7 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Feb 16, 2011

I think I found out how to fix it. The analog sticks are fine now but the square button still acts up occasionally. To fix this all I have to do is blow into the cracks around the button and it works without a problem for the rest of the time I play most of the time.

So thanks a lot for all your help!

Message 8 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 27, 2011

PROBLEM SOLVED

The L3 stick R2 and L2 all went funny. Grenades would blow up in my hand and kill me (R2). Could not throw flashbangs or there was 3-5 lags (L2) and I could not sprint (L3). I tried to blow into the cracks, it didn't quite work. I then figured out that the L3 had been cut into the plastic cover due to wear and tear and the platic dust had gone into the controller. So I have to remove the controller covers and clean the entire interior with a smooth brush. The dust had gone into the control buttons and this caused malfunctioning. I then out the covers together and used the controller, ALL WORKED FINE..... Be careful when you remove the coovers though, you needs to put back everything together as it was. So keep an eye on how everything's assembled when you remove it.

Hope this helps.

Message 9 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Jul 10, 2011

I just checked this post out of curiousity(i think i spelled that wrong) and since I marked it correct my controller has been doing that still. I saw your post daredevil about dust and such falling into cracks and messing up connections. I also noticed a while back that my left analog stick is worn down a bit on the front where you press L3 down in shooter games like COD and Killzone or Homefront. Thank you all again for your posts!

Message 10 of 11 (10,113 Views)
0 Likes