Dec 21 2010
By: GeoRyu Monster Hunter 36 posts

PS3 can't read game discs but can read movies fine. o.O

13 replies 14994 views Edited Dec 21, 2010

Yeah yeah, I know I know, there's thousands of this type of post. But I haven't found one similar to my issue.

The PS3 was running just fine the other day, I placed in GT5 and the read would scan it; then pause, and attempt to eject but does not. o.O

I tried another game disc (NFS Shift), same thing. Ok, then I tried some BD Movies; Avatar, Transporter, blah blah, etc, etc.

The BD Movies are read and plays fine.

So the BD game discs can't be read, but BD movies can.

I quick formatted it (after backing up the my save games of course), attempted to just run the discs from default without restoring anything.

The problem continues.

Ok, so then I full formatted the entire harddrive (7 hours, let it work overnight).

The problem continues.

Im upto to the point where I think it's the reader going bad. But if that is the case, why is it reading movies?

Furthermore, Im sure people will tell me to send it into Sony. But I'm actually trying to find what is causing the problem here. Loose cable, dirty lens, the new security update "patch" that rewrites the system codes? >.> I mean, what's the deal? If it's really the reader going bad as many people claim it is? Then why am I able to play Blue Ray Movies just fine? In fact, PS2 DVDs reads fine, Movie DVDs work, Music CDs works.

How does a laser that works with multiple formats just go bad with only specific discs? The games are clean, not a single scratch on it. No smudges, nothin'.

Im a pretty level tech, enough to get by. But I don't know everything, and would like to learn and understand this. I'm sure, there are many out there in my same situation. Anyone has any ideas what's going on?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8923 posts

Re: PS3 can't read game discs but can read movies fine. o.O

Dec 21, 2010

either the laser is going bad or you need to start the PS3 in safe mode and do a system file restore. (It's option 3 of 5)

There's a chance that the file restore will fix the issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Dec 21, 2010

Now that's an intelligent answer. A Safe mode reboot was what I did, selected Option 3. And it DID find the system files ARE corrupted. And it did restore it.

However.

Before I gained knowledge of this, I found out that when you format the harddrive, there goes your back up files. So the firmware is already written into the flash memory. Therefor, there is nothing for it to replace. What I need is to downgrade the firmware back to barebone (out of the box), then reapply the latest patch correctly.

Now how would I go doing that, I wonder. Hmm.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8923 posts

Dec 21, 2010

GeoRyu wrote:

Now that's an intelligent answer. A Safe mode reboot was what I did, selected Option 3. And it DID find the system files ARE corrupted. And it did restore it.

However.

Before I gained knowledge of this, I found out that when you format the harddrive, there goes your back up files. So the firmware is already written into the flash memory. Therefor, there is nothing for it to replace. What I need is to downgrade the firmware back to barebone (out of the box), then reapply the latest patch correctly.

Now how would I go doing that, I wonder. Hmm.

I don't believe you can downgrade the firmware without some form of modding to your PS3.
The firmware is help on the PS3's memory, not the HDD if I recall.

You insert the HDD, then start it safe mode again and select option 6 system update (Sorry, I thought there was 5)

I dunno if that works or not. I'm still learning through trial n error lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Dec 21, 2010

Well, Im in the midst of trying this: Doing a hard format. Then Safe Mode and repatch the system immediately. I'll let you know if that works out.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
754 posts

Dec 23, 2010

I'm needing some info simular to this too...I recently repaired my 60 gig ps3 with a new laser (complete KEM 400AAA tray with laser) and it reads everything again now except blu-ray dvd or games. I've done all the restore/recovery options there is. I know the blue diode is working because I can see it light an check what type disc is in it. It will start reading (blue diode lit), it focuses correctly (I think) and scans a few sections on the disc then it justs stops like it just doesn't won't to boot it. I hope it's not some motherboard or dvd drive board problem since there so hard to find for this model ps3. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have the latest firmware if that helps, I even reinstalled through the recovery incase it was corrupt.

I read some people think it could be the new firmware but I want some verfication on that first since most don't have issues.

I have a 120 gig that runs the 3.55 just fine so I really doudt that is my problem...Again HELP would be appreciated !!!!

Photobucket
SOCOM..SOMEBODY PLEASE MAKE A "REAL" ONE.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
754 posts

Dec 31, 2010

I have fixed my 60 gig and I'm now trying to fix my friends 80 gig now and I can't seem to get it play anything game,disc,dvd,blue ray,ps2 or download games. I know the laser works. Just like before I can see it do the 2 colors and motions it should per disc type.The clock loading icon doesn't even show it loading on the XMB and that worries me.

The weired thing with this one I can't even load a download game it just goes to a black screen and I can't exit it or use the XMB.I have to flip the main switch then reboot. I have tried to reinstall the firmware through the recovery menu with a usb flash and it doesn't even find the drive. It's in the proper folders on the drive because I used it on my 60 for recovery. The XMB shows the drive there when I load the system normal under the video,music etc. so I don't know why it's not showing in recovery mode. I have triple checked everything for loose connections all the way down to the mother board and I'm stumped here.

If anyone can verify or tell me if a bad/loose BD/GPU/CPU chip is my problem here before I go the "REBALLING" route here.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
754 posts

Dec 31, 2010

Can't even get help here in this "NEW F.A.I.L. FORUM" ....Thanx Sony

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Jan 4, 2011

Sorry for the major delay, family holiday times = busiest time of the year.  But I actually came across this fix shortly after my experiment and will enlighten the situation entirely.

For those who are having similar troubles much like myself that the reader works fine for most other discs except game discs. It is confirmed to be a corrupted data in the PS3's firmware.

Go onto the official sony website and download the latest PS3 update into a flash drive. Be sure to have the appropiate size or bigger for the update and follow their instructions to the letter.

To resolve this issue, you will need to boot into safe mode; format the harddrive. Then, after you start the PS3 first time setup. Follow as normal until you get to the XMB menus. (Do not do anything else. ) Once there, restart the PS3 back into safe mode; then apply the firmware update thru USB Flash drive.

This will force the PS3 to reapply the update without fail. Once the update is done, you may have to set up the PS3 again. After that, once you're back to the XMB. I recommend turning off the ssytem via controller, by holding the home button for the option. Then wait about 60 seconds, turn it back on so it can boot up like normal. Then, have a couple of game discs ready.  I recommend turning off auto disc start. In any case, pop in the game of choice to see if it reads and works. You MAY get the error again but do not give up. Simply remove the game and put another.

In my experience, Final Fantasy XIII did not start. however, Gran Turismo 5 did. Then Need for Speed Shift. Then I replaced Final Fantasy XIII and it can read normally.

This is an annoying tedius method but it's what we IT folk must go thru with every system we ever get our grubby lil hands on. This is what I like to call, the thorough confirmation step. Where we test everything one by one first before we go into personal settings. I hope this experience of mines helps others stuck in the same shoes I was in.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Jan 4, 2011

Also as a note; the corruption can be caused by anything but not directly by Sony. As in, the update itself isn't faulty for it worked for both my slim and original systems.

The corruption can occur when the data packet is lost in the download/install. Which can occur thru wireless connection drops or the power flips. Or even your ISP or the Sony Servers couldve cut off suddenly. There are many situations where this can cause errors. Thankfully, it was just a wireless drop for me.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (14,994 Views)
0 Likes