Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Re: PS3 backwards emulation quality on HDTV

Oct 24, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I use a PS1/PS2 emulator on PC and it looks better than my 60Gb/80Gb PS3 ever could display any PS1/PS2 game.

What sized screen?

I game on a 61" and the 60GB does a fair job I'd say.

What kind of compatibility percentage do you get with that emulator?  And can you post a link?  I cant find a good one.

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Message 21 of 27 (220 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Oct 24, 2013

He probably uses PCSX2, the only really good emulator.

I've had 0 compatibility issues with that emulator.

That's how I played KH 2 Final Mix (with an english patch).

The emulator can increase the game's resolution (Instead of just stretching it and "mildly" softening edges)

The only thing that may look bad is textures, unless you replace the textures with another file.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 22 of 27 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 24, 2013

Phillyblunzz wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I use a PS1/PS2 emulator on PC and it looks better than my 60Gb/80Gb PS3 ever could display any PS1/PS2 game.

What sized screen?

I game on a 61" and the 60GB does a fair job I'd say.

What kind of compatibility percentage do you get with that emulator?  And can you post a link?  I cant find a good one.

Percentage of compatibility? theres only a small handful of games I play for nostaglia's sake, but for me its 100%.

And the screen size depends on what computer I am using. One is connected to my TV which is a 55" (hopefully an 80" or more screen in the near future). The other is a 27"

Furiously Chaosing
Message 23 of 27 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 24, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

He probably uses PCSX2, the only really good emulator.

I've had 0 compatibility issues with that emulator.

That's how I played KH 2 Final Mix (with an english patch).

The emulator can increase the game's resolution (Instead of just stretching it and "mildly" softening edges)

The only thing that may look bad is textures, unless you replace the textures with another file.

From the games I play, textures don't look bad at all. 

I have seen some people mod the game textures on FF10 and it look amazing

Furiously Chaosing
Message 24 of 27 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Oct 24, 2013

So are you guys able to insert ps2 games into your pc or must use ROMs?

Lastly can a DS3 controller be used to play the games via USB cable?  Or does this require another program?

The games I would want to play are Starwars Battlefront 1,2 and Maybe a few others.

Cheers

SC-GRAY_FOX wrote:
"Of course you can. You can do this with the PS3 and the PS4 would not be taking steps back."

Smiley Sad Smiley Happy

Vertigomega wrote:
Being angry that your gaming console focuses on gaming is kind of like being mad that your microwave focuses too much on warming up your food.
But the new model removed the light bulb and timer from the microwave, so now you never know when the foods done, so ends up burnt a lot or undercooked.
Message 25 of 27 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Oct 24, 2013

Phillyblunzz wrote:

So are you guys able to insert ps2 games into your pc or must use ROMs?

You can use your original discs, or go download them

Lastly can a DS3 controller be used to play the games via USB cable?  Or does this require another program?
Yes, you will need MotionJoy. You don't need a USB cable, you can use bluetooth if your PC has it or use a BT dongle if you want

The games I would want to play are Starwars Battlefront 1,2 and Maybe a few others.

Cheers

Furiously Chaosing
Message 26 of 27 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 26, 2013

Just wanted to update and say I'm going with an AAXA P4X projector for retro games. Picture quality looks sound, and the low resolution VGA resolution should make these games look like they were intended to.

The PCSX2 emulator does some nice smoothing effects but some games still look a bit odd in HD. A matter of personal preference I suppose.

I'm going to look for a striped black&white bedsheet to project onto, to try and get a CRT scan line effect.

Message 27 of 27 (163 Views)
0 Likes