Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 23 2013
By: adrosutal First Son 7 posts

PS3 backwards emulation quality on HDTV

[ Edited ]
26 replies 395 views Edited Oct 23, 2013

Hi, recently I've decide to play again my old PS2 games, so I connected my PS2 to an HDTV with component cables and like probably many of you know, the graphics didn't look so good, particularly with more noticeable jagginess and some blurry text, after investigating I learned this is because of the PS2 native resolution, and I know that connecting it to a CRT TV solves the problem, but I really would prefer it to have most of my devices connected to my HDTV, so I've been wondering if getting a PS3 with backwards compatibility (preferably the version with hardware emulation) could help. I'm not trying to get HD-quality image from my PS2 games, but at least improve it on the HDTV.

If not, is there a way to this? Thanks for all your help.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 27 (395 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
5448 posts

Re: PS3 backwards emulation quality on HDTV

Oct 23, 2013

adrosutal wrote:

Hi, recently I've decide to play again my old PS2 games, so I connected my PS2 to an HDTV with component cables and like probably many of you know, the graphics didn't look so good, particularly with more noticeable jagginess and some blurry text, after investigating I learned this is because of the PS2 native resolution, and I know that connecting it to a CRT TV solves the problem, but I really would prefer it to have most of my devices connected to my HDTV, so I've wondering if getting a PS3 with backwards compatibility (preferably the version with hardware emulation) could help. I'm not trying to get HD-quality image from my PS2 games, but at least improve it on the HDTV.

If not, is there a way to this? Thanks for all your help.

I have noticed an improvement on BC PS3s, yes, but, I would also say that your TV's upscaling ability is a factor, too.  That said, the only way I know of to maximize the resolution on a PS2 game would be to either buy it digitally (if you only have a couple that warrant this, and are available on the PSN), or the aforementioned BC PS3. 

If someone else has a better route, I am all ears, as I am in a similar spot.

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 27 (389 Views)
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Oct 23, 2013

I too had the same issue with my PS2. I don't care if I get 1080P type of quality, but anything better than the issue my PS2/HDTV were having together. I bought composite cables for my PS2 from Best Buy for $19.99 and haven't had an issue since. Looks good, no framerate issues, no blackscreens, jumping of picture, etc.

Atari 2600, NES, Super NES, N64, Wii, Gameboy Advance, Sega Genesis, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS1, PS2, PS3

"Wonder why your life is screaming? Wonder why we're Humans Being?

photo daec859e-bed4-420a-8ce4-132c23840589.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 27 (376 Views)
PlayStation MVP
5448 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2013

JGordon24-48 wrote:

I too had the same issue with my PS2. I don't care if I get 1080P type of quality, but anything better than the issue my PS2/HDTV were having together. I bought composite cables for my PS2 from Best Buy for $19.99 and haven't had an issue since. Looks good, no framerate issues, no blackscreens, jumping of picture, etc.

Crap.  I misread the OP.  Yes.  Composite Component ( I always screw that up) cables (which I thought you were already using) should be just fine. :smileyhappy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-component-a-v-cable-for-playstation-3/8223013.p?id=1166840115294&sk...

Grindhead_Jim

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 27 (373 Views)
Wastelander
851 posts

Oct 23, 2013
i tried playing a ps2 on hdtv, i decided to sell the ps2 and 360 and buy a ps3 that was bc. i got the 20 gig model as it was the cheapest, i have to say, i prefer the scaling on ps3 than playing a ps2 game on hdtv with a ps2.

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 27 (365 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Oct 23, 2013
Composite cables? The ones with yellow, red and white?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 27 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Oct 23, 2013

JGordon24-48 wrote:

I too had the same issue with my PS2. I don't care if I get 1080P type of quality, but anything better than the issue my PS2/HDTV were having together. I bought composite component cables for my PS2 from Best Buy for $19.99 and haven't had an issue since. Looks good, no framerate issues, no blackscreens, jumping of picture, etc.

It would work for the OP as well. It is not going to be extraordinarily better, but it will look better.

I was trying to post a link, but my phone keeps screwing it up.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 27 (358 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 23, 2013

I would invest in a VGA projector if you're serious about playing anything from previous generations. I find that upscaling older games just looks awful 99% of the time. Some games, like Persona 3 look great on an HD tv but not much else does even with component.

8bit games however, look pretty **bleep** good on an HDTV IMO.

edit: they censor dammn?

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 27 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
851 posts

Oct 23, 2013

BillyOneironaut wrote:

I would invest in a VGA projector if you're serious about playing anything from previous generations. I find that upscaling older games just looks awful 99% of the time. Some games, like Persona 3 look great on an HD tv but not much else does even with component.

8bit games however, look pretty **bleep** good on an HDTV IMO.

edit: they censor dammn?

you could always say dam and say you were talking about the hoover dam lol

The-White-Wolf-Sig.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 27 (345 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for all your quick replies, in regards to Grindhead_Jim's answer about testing PS2 games from the PSN store, I have to say that I've only bought God Hand and Odin Sphere, but both of them look pretty good on my HDTV, and the smoothing option helps a little bit too. Could this be an indicative about the end result of using a BC PS3?

When it comes to my TV upscaling, I'm pretty sure it won't do much, but I'll take what I can.

Also, I noticed you linked to the official Playstation component cables, I'm using component cables from Monoprice (very cheap). Could there be a difference in image quality?
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 27 (342 Views)
0 Likes