Dec 27 2012
By: Duck123450 First Son 2 posts

PS3 YLOD, Possible bad PSU?

3 replies 110 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

So a buddy of mine gave me his old PS3 for free. Saying it wasn't working. I've done some research and I think it may be the PSU. Here me out and tell me if I'm heading the right way here....

So when you power this thing on, the light goes green, then yellow then flashing red after doing some beeping.

I stripped the thing down to the Mobo and hooked the PSU up to do some more testing. After doing some reading it sounds like it could be...

A. The motherboard. (Break out the heat gun to do some fixing)

B. The power supply.

The reason I think it's the power supply is because when I turn it on. I do not hear the PSU fan spin up. This being a possible reason for the YLOD. I'm thinking of buying another but I want to make sure I'm on the right track here.

The PSU informatino is as follows...

MODEL: EADP-300AB

1-474-084-11

Is there no additional testing I can perform to see if it's PSU related? Or is there no way for me to fix the fan issue? I'm making sure I exhaust all options before buying a new PSU.

Message 1 of 4 (110 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 YLOD, Possible bad PSU?

Dec 28, 2012
It does sound like you are on the right track, since you don't hear the fan spin up. I suggest you get your new power supply from a place that allows returns, in case it doesn't work out...
Message 2 of 4 (94 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Awesome thanks. I think I'll just buy the part and see what happens. Any reputable resellers or should I just Ebay this one? Worst case I can just sell it to someone else if it doesnt work.

Message 3 of 4 (84 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 28, 2012
IMO eBay is as good as anyplace I know. Good luck!
Message 4 of 4 (79 Views)
0 Likes