Nov 22 2011
By: aaserali First Son 2 posts

PS3 Won't Turn On

3 replies 45 views Edited Nov 22, 2011

First of all, my PS3 is out of warranty - I lost my receipt and I'm sure you all know how Sony is about that.

So here is my problem: I was watching a movie on Netflix when all of a sudden, my PS3 just shut off. I gave it half an hour to cool off, just in case. Then when I tried turning it back on, the green light flashed for a second, the fan started spinning for a second, and then all of the lights turned off. The red light wasn't even on. If I press the power button twice, the red light comes back. And when I press the power button a third time, the system starts for only a second and then I'm back to no lights.

I tried starting the PS3 without a hard drive. I tried the hairdryer in the back vents for 15 mins (even though I know it isn't the YLOD). I tried switching from HDMI to Composite. Nothing has worked. Can anyone help me out? Or at least lead me in the right direction? I don't even know what is causing the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: PS3 Won't Turn On

Nov 22, 2011

I suspect the power supply. Logical_Dolphin has a list of the various power supplies and interchangeability between models if you want to try swapping in another power supply.

Message 2 of 4 (45 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 22, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to test my current power supply before buying a new one?

Message 3 of 4 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
24622 posts

Nov 23, 2011

aaserali wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to test my current power supply before buying a new one?

A multimeter set to DC volts. The outputs are etched on the casing but it doesn't show the pin correlation. At 5 & 12 volts I wouldn't be afraid to poke around but if you're not comfortable you can probably find a diagram on google.

Message 4 of 4 (45 Views)
0 Likes