Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 28 2009
By: Shockmywilly First Son 12 posts

PS3 Wireless interference

12 replies 2121 views Edited Jan 28, 2009
Prior to having a PS3 I had 3 computers, an itouch, iphone using the wireless network (well not I alone but with roommates and such)  i've set up in my home without any trouble. It seems every electronic equipment in my home is getting along quite well, until Christmas came along and someone gave me a PS3 as a gift. I was excited and I immediately added it to my electronic collection, but alas, the damn thing would knock the whole wireless net out, bascially disconnecting all my electronics that's logged on the internet. It happens whether I have 1 computer online or none, O yeah, it also knocks itself out of the interenet from time to time making updating a **bleep**ing chore. I wanna connect it with an ethernet cable but the layout of my home just doesn't allow that, that's why I created the wifi network in the first place. I am so pissed I wanna just drop kick my PS3 out the window. I've turned off any automatic function it has that automatically connect it to the internet to avoid the interference but it seems merely turning it on causes a 3 sec interference to happen..probably because it's trying to detect a wireless connection. I have a linksys wifi router. Does anyone have a suggestion or a recommendation for another kind of router that can hold its own against a ps3? or is this just an issue i'm gonna have to live with? I'm tired of my friends complaining about how their **bleep** gets disconnected from the interenet as soon as I turn on my PS3.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: PS3 Wireless interference

Jan 28, 2009
I would go into your linksys router and disable uPnP.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 30, 2009
anymore ideas out there?
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 30, 2009
alright, i just disabled Upnp, moment of truth, lets see if i still get knocked off the internet by PS3.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
89 posts

Jan 30, 2009

The ps3 wireless signal isn't that great.

My laptop is connected to my router wireless so what I do is I connect my laptop to my ps3 with an ethernet cable.

So that changes my ps3 internet settings to WIRED instead of WIRELESS and it's a stronger signal.

You just have to change some settings using your computer.

There's youtube videos on it.

If you don't believe in the easter bunny, Santa Claus, and Jesus Christ anymore and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jan 30, 2009
alright ..issue fixed. disabling Upnp did the trick. what does it do automatically that causes intereference when Upnp is enabled?
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jan 30, 2009

Shockmywilly wrote:
alright ..issue fixed. disabling Upnp did the trick. what does it do automatically that causes intereference when Upnp is enabled?

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I never investigated.  I just know that something about it, specifically with Linksys routers, causes everything to drop.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 13, 2009
I have had the same problem with my ps3 on 2 Netgear wireless routers. It's been enough to make me want to throw my ps3 in front of a train. It's not the routers, it's the playstation. I've been browsing around for an answer to this problem, and I have also heard that turning off the media server will fix this issue. I haven't tried it yet.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Nov 13, 2009

pieceofS3 wrote:
I have had the same problem with my ps3 on 2 Netgear wireless routers. It's been enough to make me want to throw my ps3 in front of a train. It's not the routers, it's the playstation. I've been browsing around for an answer to this problem, and I have also heard that turning off the media server will fix this issue. I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, it's the PS3 that causes the drop when it tries to access the router, but it's because of the way the router handles certain requests.

If the media servers workaround works, then most likely, so would disabling the router's UPNP setting.

And in my opinion, UPNP is not something that is needed.  And I think some routers just do not handle it the way that they should, as the problem isn't consistent across all routers, it just seems to happen to a few, and in many a router firmware update gets rid of the issue.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Nov 13, 2009

I have never had any issues with my D-Link DIR-655 wifi router having the PS3 logged online wireless that way.

Hopefully you don't have to buy a new router though.  Good luck.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (2,121 Views)
0 Likes