Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 14 2013
By: JudgeLazar First Son 7 posts

PS3 VGA monitor blurry

[ Edited ]
3 replies 156 views Edited Nov 14, 2013

I currently have my PS3 running off of the stock RCA cable with the video (Yellow) going into a powered converter box which outputs to a VGA monitor at 1280 x 1024 60hz, that is the highest setting the converter can put out.

The image is blurry, not so bad I can't play, but it can be difficult to read the text specificly in GTA 5. 

I have my Xbox going to the same monitor and it's crystal clear, but i'm using the cable that microsoft makes specificly for this purpose. Sony does not make a comparable cable so I have to frankenstein the connection.

I messed with the PS3 display setting and cannot get it to look any clearer. I know it's not the monitor or the VGA cable itself because when I hook those to my laptop the image is clear.

My question is, Could this be because i'm using the RCA cable? Could it be the converter box?  Would  using a DVI monitor help? Would using a component cable to DVI adapter look better?

or can somebody point me to a cable made by Sony for this purpose?  I  know about the off brand cable that says it's for PS3/Wii but a lot of the reviews say it does not work.

HDMI is not an option, mainly because adapters to pull audio off the HDMI cable and  convert it to RCA are way too expensive, and I am trying to avoid buying a new cable.

I really wish Sony would just make a cable for this, the one for Xbox has an outstanding image quality.

Message 1 of 4 (156 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15778 posts

Re: PS3 VGA monitor blurry

Nov 14, 2013

You're playing in standard definition.... yes, its because of the RCA cables.

Either you're going to have to pony up the dough for a converter box... or you'll have to buy a new TV/monitor to experience anything in HD resolution, or stay stuck playing in SD.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 2 of 4 (138 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Re: PS3 VGA monitor blurry

Nov 14, 2013

Ok, cant win em all I guess. Thanks

Message 3 of 4 (134 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15778 posts