Nov 09 2012
By: Doppelgangergang Treasure Hunter 8212 posts

PS3 Upgrade Project: 2 USB Ports to 5 USB Ports!

[ Edited ]
15 replies 796 views Edited Dec 20, 2012

I just finished working on this project. Just want to share some pictures before I sign off for the night.

Basically, I was bored so I took apart my PS3 and wondered... "Hm, that back switch is the perfect size to cram 3 USB ports in."

So I did. Smiley Happy

Finished Photos:

DSC09744.JPG

Photo 1: Three USB Ports where the back switch used to be. Looks Factory to me!

DSC09742.JPG

Photo 2: Three USB Ports occupied by a controller, a PS3 Eye and a dongle for a wireless keyboard.

DSC09741.JPG

Photo 3: The wiring that makes the three USB ports work. All 5 ports are functional.

DSC09750.JPG

Photo 4: The PS3 on the table. It's connected to the PSEye, and has a USB dongle, but you can't see it because it's connected at the back. Smiley Wink

It's an 80GB CECHL01, I also gave it a Matte paint job while it was scattered on my desk...

Notes:

1. The USB port is powered, and has it's own power supply. The second power supply runs in tandem with the main power supply of the PS3. It's only job is to provide 5V for the USB port electronics and 5V for the USB ports at the back.
  2. I found this to be the most scariest electronics work I have ever done.Ever. It's not exactly the most difficult, but it requires carefully cutting and carving electrical traces. And that requires carefully working on your PS3's motherboard with a knife. Cut the wrong trace, or accidentally slip, and your PS3 is toast.
  3. Once performed, however, the benefits are fantastic. Wires are now easier to hide and makes for a clean setup.

I took videos and a lot more photos, but it's getting late over here so I'll have to let that wait until I sort it out tomorrow.

EDIT: By the way, this obviously does not enable piracy, cheating or all the other nasties (System Software is NOT touched by this) so it should be ok.

FULL WORKLOG HERE: http://www.playstationgamerleague.com/index.php?/topic/1020-ps3-upgrade-project-2-usb-ports-5-usb-po...

Full Worklog includes more photos and text commentary!

Message 1 of 16 (796 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: PS3 with Rear USB Ports. Oh yes. >:3

Nov 9, 2012

Thats a nice mod.

Can't wait to see a detailed run through of it.

I have no use for this mod.... as I have a launch day 60Gb and an 80Gb Motorstorm bundle. And then theres my other electronics that have their own USB ports..... im literally swimming in USB ports lol

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 16 (769 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29725 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Only one problem now. Somebody trips over a cable and the console gets yanked across the room. 

Message 3 of 16 (762 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Nov 9, 2012
Too cool for school.
Message 4 of 16 (756 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24982 posts

Nov 9, 2012
Message 5 of 16 (714 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8212 posts

Nov 14, 2012
Quick update...

It's been a week since I did this to my PS3. Everything still works as it should and the USB ports all work OK. The Matte paint job looks like it's cured and it feels smooth to the touch.

About the photos and video, I've sorted out the photos. Though the video? I'll have to edit that because I talk to myself a lot. Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 16 (656 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8212 posts

Dec 20, 2012

The detailed runthrough is now live! Link below. The runthrough contains a lot of text to explain what's going on, along with plenty plenty photos.

http://www.playstationgamerleague.com/index.php?/topic/1020-ps3-upgrade-project-2-usb-ports-5-usb-po...

Message 7 of 16 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Dec 20, 2012

Nice job bro...makes me want to do that to my CECHL01 now....

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 8 of 16 (537 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8212 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

UPDATE:

4 Months Later, and the mod is still solid and stable! Smiley Happy

I am not done adding things with this PS3 yet. As of now I'm currently developing a method to keep the front USB ports powered to charge controllers even on sleep mode. I would need to custom-design a circuitboard that will emulate a PS3's USB circuits to make the controllers to charge on standby. Then I'll have to develop a way to switch between the PS3 mobo (used when ON) and the emulator circuit (used with standby).

Feeding 5V when off does NOT work, the Dualshock/Move requires the PS3 or a USB host to give it the go signal to charge. This is the reason why regular wall adaptors don't work. I'm hoping to reverse-engineer one of these Dualshock charger docks. They seem to have a chip in them that coaxes the controllers to charge.

Had this idea because I am tired of sitting down to play, only to find both of my controllers dead.

I've ordered some more parts, and when they arrive, development begins....

Message 9 of 16 (409 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1014 posts

Re: PS3 Upgrade Project: 2 USB Ports to 5 USB Ports!

Feb 9, 2013
There was an easier way to do this than to mod your ps3. You could've just gone to Walmart and spent $10 on a USB hub that has 4 ports on it. You'd use one of your two and gain 3. It'd do the exact same thing and you wouldn't have had to do all that extra work.
My PSN
Message 10 of 16 (397 Views)