Highlighted
Nov 10 2011
By: MesozoicSwag First Son 3 posts

PS3 + USB Modem + Router + Laptop = connection for PS3?

6 replies 944 views Edited Nov 10, 2011

Ok, so I would like to play online using my ps3. The only problem is, is that that all I have is a PS3, laptop with wifi, a wireless/wired router, and a USB modem. I do not have a normal ethernet internet connection.

I was told I should try setting up an ad-hoc network using my laptop (which is using the internet from the USB modem) and then trying to connect my PS3 to it. Following two seperate tutorials, the PS3 was not able to find the ad-hoc network I had set up.

This led me to try to connect an ethernet cable from my laptop (still using the internet from the USB modem) to the ps3 and try connecting it like that, with a 'wired connection. This didn't work. I tried connecting an ethernet from my laptop (using the USB modem's internet) to the router I own and then another ethernet cable to from the router to my ps3 and that didn't work either. However, when doing a connection test, I at least was able to get an IP address (might have just been the one from the router though, not sure which the PS3 searches for when it searches for an IP, the network's ip or the router's.

Is there any way to do this? This would literally be my only hope to play online while living oversees since the normal internet they supply here in Austria is way too slow/laggy to do anything with regard to online gaming.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: PS3 + USB Modem + Router + Laptop = connection for PS3?

Nov 10, 2011

I'm confused. Why is the laptop part of the equation? You can connect wired or wirelessly directly to the router.

Message 2 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 10, 2011
Message 3 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 10, 2011

I believe the laptop is required because the only way I can get internet here is with this USB modem. It does not work in neither the PS3 nor the router's USB slots. (As far as I've tried. There may be somme adjustments that could be made, I'm just not sure.)

Edit: I'll just list what I've tried:

Laptop w/USB Modem ---> ethernet cable ---> PS3 = no ip or anything found after a connection test

Laptop w/USB Modem ---> ethernet cable ---> router ---> ethernet cable = PS3 = only ip found, no internet connection

Laptop w/USB Modem + ad hoc wireless connection set up ---> PS3 = the PS3 couldn't find the laptop's ad hoc connection.

Router w/USB Modem ---> ethernet cable ---> PS3 = no ip or anything found after a connection test

I think that's all. I haven't however tried fooling with any ip settings or anything for my comp, router, or PS3 so there may be something there however I don't know where to start.

Message 4 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 10, 2011
Message 5 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 10, 2011

wow, that seems to have worked. I've played through two full matches of MW2. It has terrible lag but I guess you can kind of expect that using 3g to play games online.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 10, 2011
Message 7 of 7 (944 Views)
0 Likes