Feb 02 2013
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM PlayStation MVP 53324 posts

PS3 To PS4 hopes and speculations

29 replies 1260 views Edited Feb 2, 2013

Just a thread for speculation.

I hope our PSN ID is 100% compatabile:

1. Our PSN ID should be universal to both systems.
  2. Trophy System Should Carry Over/Interchange just like with the vita
  3. Friends lists should interchange with each other.  If i'm on my PS4 and my friend is on a PS3 we should still see each other online.  If there are cross system games we should be able to play together (So say I'm playing DUST514 on the PS4 and a friend is on the PS3 we can still play that game together).

Those are my top 3 hopes.

I've heard the speculation that our PS3 games will not play on the PS4, I dont like that if its true but it is not confirmed as more than just a rumor right now.   If this is true I hope its only disc based games and not DL games too. 

That is all from me for now.  Please share your hopes and speculations.

Message 1 of 30 (1,260 Views)
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
28062 posts

Re: PS3 To PS4 hopes and speculations

Feb 2, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I hope our PSN ID is 100% compatabile:

1. Our PSN ID should be universal to both systems. (Dont' see why it wouldn't be. Your PSN ID is for the Network, not the system)
  2. Trophy System Should Carry Over/Interchange just like with the vita (Again, don't see why it it wouldn't)
  3. Friends lists should interchange with each other.  If i'm on my PS4 and my friend is on a PS3 we should still see each other online.  If there are cross system games we should be able to play together (So say I'm playing DUST514 on the PS4 and a friend is on the PS3 we can still play that game together). (Again, don't see why it wouldn't. Your friends list is for the Network, and not the system)

I've heard the speculation that our PS3 games will not play on the PS4, I dont like that if its true but it is not confirmed as more than just a rumor right now.   If this is true I hope its only disc based games and not DL games too. 

(This comes back down to the console business model. The machine is a loss leader, and if the last time means anything, if people are going to buy PS3 games rather than the games for the new console, don't expect it to be backward compatible).

My "hope" is that the new system has a built in mic and voice recognition software, so it can electro-shock anyone who says "Playstation 5". Since the PS3 was launched, it seems like everyone and their uncle were trying to rush another console out the door. Are attention spans really that short? Or was it a viral marketing attempt by another company to kill interest in the PS3? The only thing is certain; when the new console lauches (whenever that may be) there will be no shortage of complaining and "outraged gamers". You can lay even money on that.

Message 2 of 30 (1,255 Views)
Fender Bender
4020 posts

Feb 2, 2013

It would be a huge plus if the Playstation 4 is backwards compatible with current PS3 games. It would be interesting to see if the new console would resolve some of the freezing issues experienced on current PS3 titles like MAG.

Message 3 of 30 (1,249 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16650 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Twohothardware wrote:

It would be a huge plus if the Playstation 4 is backwards compatible with current PS3 games. It would be interesting to see if the new console would resolve some of the freezing issues experienced on current PS3 titles like MAG.

If you go off of the rumored hardware specs.... backwards compatibility is not going to work because the architecture would be completely different. And lets not forget that the PS3's 2 main processors would drive up the cost of the PS4, which no one wants to see another $600 console again, at least not now.

Cell BBE is around $40 and Reality Synthesizer is about $45, thats manufacturing figures from 2009.

One can only assume that such would increase the PS4 by $100 if it were to be 100% compatible with PS3 games.

Its simply not good business sense for Sony to do this, especially with Sony losing money for a 3rd year in a row

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 4 of 30 (1,242 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6666 posts

Feb 2, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Twohothardware wrote:

If you go off of the rumored hardware specs.... backwards compatibility is not going to work because the architecture would be completely different. And lets not forget that the PS3's 2 main processors would drive up the cost of the PS4, which no one wants to see another $600 console again, at least not now.

Cell BBE is around $40 and Reality Synthesizer is about $45, thats manufacturing figures from 2009.

One can only assume that such would increase the PS4 by $100 if it were to be 100% compatible with PS3 games.

Its simply not good business sense for Sony to do this, especially with Sony losing money for a 3rd year in a row

i dont thinks  it going  play the ps3 disks but i  do think you  wil be able play digital games you have bought. if use the same network

I think  gaming  sercurity is goin  get a whole lot better. . BC is not big deal if buy/or bought the digital version, becuase from my understanding  disk are being fased out..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 5 of 30 (1,233 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Feb 2, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Twohothardware wrote:

i dont thinks  it going  play the ps3 disks but i  do think you  wil be able play digital games you have bought. if use the same network

I think  gaming  sercurity is goin  get a whole lot better. . BC is not big deal if buy/or bought the digital version, becuase from my understanding  disk are being fased out..

This is probably where the Gaikai purchase will come in. As it is now the games on PSN is largely platform specific, with the exception of certain PSone games on PSN. The potential of Gaikai will allow people to stream all PSN purchases directly to the PS4, this way Sony doesn't have to concern themselves with translating games so it will run on the PS4...

Message 6 of 30 (1,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Feb 2, 2013
I would hope that Sony would add screenshot feature for all the games because I was really **bleep** that I can never take screenshots of my games like Demon Souls, Sengoku BASARA 3 and DC Universe Online.
Message 7 of 30 (1,164 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
53324 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

I hope our PSN ID is 100% compatible:

1. Our PSN ID should be universal to both systems. (Don't' see why it wouldn't be. Your PSN ID is for the Network, not the system)
  2. Trophy System Should Carry Over/Interchange just like with the vita (Again, don't see why it it wouldn't)
  3. Friends lists should interchange with each other.  If I'm on my PS4 and my friend is on a PS3 we should still see each other online.  If there are cross system games we should be able to play together (So say I'm playing DUST514 on the PS4 and a friend is on the PS3 we can still play that game together). (Again, don't see why it wouldn't. Your friends list is for the Network, and not the system)

I've heard the speculation that our PS3 games will not play on the PS4, I don't like that if its true but it is not confirmed as more than just a rumor right now.   If this is true I hope its only disc based games and not DL games too. 

(This comes back down to the console business model. The machine is a loss leader, and if the last time means anything, if people are going to buy PS3 games rather than the games for the new console, don't expect it to be backward compatible).

My "hope" is that the new system has a built in mic and voice recognition software, so it can electro-shock anyone who says "Playstation 5". Since the PS3 was launched, it seems like everyone and their uncle were trying to rush another console out the door. Are attention spans really that short? Or was it a viral marketing attempt by another company to kill interest in the PS3? The only thing is certain; when the new console launches (whenever that may be) there will be no shortage of complaining and "outraged gamers". You can lay even money on that.

Why bring up people pushing for next gen consoles, it almost sounds like you are implying I'm in some rush for a PS4?  This is the internet so intent does not translate well but if this is the case I can tell you this, I have NO NEED for a new console at all.  I'd prefer it if the PS4 didn't come out as I started gaming on the Magnavox Odyssey and PS3 is plenty good enough for me.   However, with all the talk of the PS4 I wanted to put out a few basics that I think should be adhered to by Sony so that the communities I've helped build up for Sony in a few games don't get destroyed by the PS4 launch.

I don't see why the PS4 shouldn't do anything on my list either but you never know....Sony has surprised me, in a bad way, here and there over the years.  Its best to be pro-active with these things, not re-active. 

Considering the complaints you are hearing already, based purely off of rumor and speculation, its going to be super wild when people have actual facts about the new system!

Message 8 of 30 (1,093 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

For PS4 I'd like 

custom soundtrack on every game

the ability to play PS1/2/3 games

at least 500 gig hard drive

Message 9 of 30 (1,049 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
351 posts

Feb 2, 2013

I want a blue or purple one...  Oh wait, Japan is always the first country to get new colors...

Message 10 of 30 (1,041 Views)
0 Likes