Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2012
By: Dustin8989 Splicer 95 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 Thermal Paste

6 replies 213 views Edited Jun 17, 2012

Okay so i have a 3 year old ps3 fatty 40GB, I haven't had any issues with it freezing or overheating. But i finally picked up some arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

I was just wondering if i should just go ahead and take off the factory paste and apply the good stuff! I just have a few concerns

- Is there any chance of messing up the ps3, since it's working perfectly fine?
- is there any benefit I.E. longevity?
- My first ps3 got the stupid YLOD after the clock time a few years back got jacked up

- Is it fairly easy to do, just as you would a PC CPU. Very thin layered?
- Is there a good Video i can watch just to see what i'm looking to do once i have it open?
I'm very hardware educated and good with maintenance.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Re: PS3 Thermal Paste

Jun 17, 2012

theres many youtube tuts...just look up your model and follow it....DO NOT spread the thermal compound,you will use a pea size drop or a line in the middle about the size of a grain of rice or maybe just a little bigger and let the heatsink spread it out..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Jun 17, 2012

Yawn.. What a boring half ass answer... NEXT

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Jun 17, 2012

if you cant understand that then you don't need to be taking any ps3 apart..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

I'm not sure which model PS3 you have, but if you have the CECHG model you should check out my signature link and follow along with the dissassembly and reassembly of your PS3. If you have any other model (like the CECHH), I would advise you have a professional repair place repaste your PS3 for you, because the reassembly process has shown to be difficult for some, and I haven't seen any good videos on it on the internet...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
95 posts

Jun 17, 2012

CECHG

I was just wondering if i should even bother doing it at all and what the failure rate would be if i were to mess it up that's all.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

I suggest you don't open it up at all if you are uncomfortable with it. Both Gophermods and Endless Electronics offer a service where they can clean out your system and change the paste for you for around $40-$50.

I can't quite say what the falilure rate would be if you don't do anything, but it has been noticed repeatedly that the thermal paste Sony uses does dry out over time, and that tends to lead the PS3 to overheat and develop YLOD symptoms...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (213 Views)
0 Likes