Jul 15 2012
By: ELEM_YETTI First Son 2 posts

PS3 System Error: Cannot Start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

5 replies 14791 views Edited Jul 15, 2012

Hey guys, first time post here, I hope I'm not the only one with this problem.  (nothing came up in the forum.)

I went to start my PS3, and it says "Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found." which is a little different wording than the usual hard disk error you see.  I also tried starting it in safe mode (holding the power button to 3 beeps) and it gives me the same error (just in low res instead of HD).

I took it to a PS3 repair guy, and he fixed my power button problem I was having, but he could not figure out how to fix this error (he's been fixing ps3's for over 3 years).

We tried taking out the hard drive, and putting it back in.  No change.

We tried a different hard drive.  No change.

We tried another different hard drive.  No change.

We put the hard drive in another ps3, it worked fine, so it's not the hard drive itself that's broken.

Any help fixing this would be appreciated.  I hope I gave enough information.  If not, I will answer any questions to help get this fixed.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6 (14,791 Views)
Lombax Warrior
257 posts

Re: PS3 System Error: Cannot Start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

Jul 15, 2012

Sounds to me like the internal sata connection (where you HD plugs into inside of the PS3) is burned out or otherwise damaged. If this is the issue your kinda screwed. You could take it to a professional to see if he could remove the broken port from the motherboard & replace it with a new one. This is something I would not recommend trying youself because you can very easily burn out the copper conductors on the mb with a regular soldering iron. Sorry to say it, but it might be time for new PS3.

Message 2 of 6 (14,775 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: PS3 System Error: Cannot Start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

Jul 15, 2012

I figured it was a pretty big deal that I might not be able to fix on my own.  That's what SONY told me when I called.  Send it in, give them 100 bucks, and get a new PS3.  I figured it was kind of a big deal..   Unfortunate..

Message 3 of 6 (14,752 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 26, 2013

There are different issues on this problem, i recently had this problem. it could be the harddive is broken or just messed up, you will hear a clicking noise, or your ps3 connector is messed up. it appears that is the case and you will need to get it replaced which can be done if you are good with soldering, in my case the harddrive messed up so i am going to get a 2.5 inch sata enclosure so i can format the harddrive, i could replace it but it is much more expensive.

Message 4 of 6 (11,474 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 18, 2013
Mine is not clicking it just has the message on the screen
Message 5 of 6 (7,599 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 18, 2014
Time for a new playstation!
Message 6 of 6 (3,594 Views)
0 Likes