Wastelander
775 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim Rumors and Speculation

Sep 11, 2012
ya fiancé decided i cant have another ps3 untill Christmas which is a day before my bday lol apparently i have to use my money for the wedding Smiley Frustrated my vita is doing a good job filling the void though
Message 71 of 147 (239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Sep 11, 2012
If this new PS3 comes out, I think Sony should pack in one of those Sony Collections (Like infamous or Killzone) or have an LBP family bundle with maybe LBP 1 and 2 or Just LBP Karting, or actually the Ratchet Collection with LBP1 GOTY would be perfect. What kinda bundles are you guys expecting?
Message 72 of 147 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2096 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 11, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

jeff_rigby wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
While I believe all of these things are being developed, I don't believe that we will see any of them for this console generation, especially since the next generation is being actively developed.

I'm sure that NASNE will do well in Japan and possibly Europe, but those countries are much smaller than the US and only have a few standards to contend with. In the US there are too many companies and standards to work with to make an all-in-one solution practical. There was a previous effort to merge a DVR with the PS3 that also didn't come to the US.

Cablecard support is a must for NASNE for US adoption, but even with that, I don't think that consumer's are going to be educated enough to know that it is a viable alternative, and it won't sell very well.

I still believe the HDMI pass through in the X361 was contingent on Microsoft making a deal to make their own pay TV service. Since that failed to happen, the best they can do is to offer streaming coverage of ESPN, and deals with Comcast, Verizon, and at&t to use the X360 as a cable box.

This generation will support it.   

True2way includes RVU (DLNA + DTCP-IP + HTML UI),  Includes parts of  DVB hbbTV with Java,  includes parts of ATSC 2.0  

An APP on the PS3 for instance does not have to run on a set top box, it's running on a PS3 and only has to know the "calls" in the tru2way standards which have at their base the software stacks in a network connected blu-ray player: Java, HTML5, DTCP-IP, DLNA, h.264 ACV, Mpeg2 

The big issue is being able to intercept and act on the video stream: HDMI pass-thru, RVU, Allvid and for in the clear OTA or cable just a network connected tuner like HD Homerun.

The PS3 will support RVU! It's in cited by Verizon and Direct TV "RVU support for the PS3".  If the PS3 supports RVU then it will work with Time Warner which is also supporting RVU.  I have found no mention for Comcast.  

It's no accident that the PS3 is also a network connected blu-ray player, that DTCP-IP came with firmware 3.21 or a HTML5 stack started with firmware 3.5 and a full HTML5 browser with video and DRM will be in the PS3 with 4.5 and full ATSC 2.0 by 5.0 March 2013.  It is no accident that the PS3 4K chassis will play 4K media with h.265 and firmware 5.0

I'm sure what you have stated is accurate, the real issue is if it will actually be implemented. Since Microsoft already has a relationship with 3 of the leading cable providers, and they are positioning the Xbox product as a universal entertainment device, they are most likely to have some concrete plans when the X720 comes around. 

I don't believe (like PlayTV) that NASNE will see the light of day in the US. Sony is far less committed to making the PS3 into a universal entertainment device than Microsoft is...

I'm going to guess that Play TV and Torne DVRs not being released in the US is the reason for your opinion.  The EU and Japan are 1 or more years ahead of us in the US.  ATSC 2.0 is now entering the final stages before it's "officially" released in 2013.  The NASNE SoC supports Cable card which is a US only standard.  

Gesh, both Sony and Microsoft have the same plans but Sony is further along as the PS3 IS and always was planned to support Media.  Didn't you get that the plan in 2001 was to use a blu-ray player to support ATSC 2.0.  That the CELL is a multi-media processor, that the video previews (multiple Video clips) playing on the XMB are showing that the PS3 can handle MULTIPLE video streams at the same time.  Now read the Sony Media Fusion proposal to the ATSC 2.0 committee with multiple video streams & HEVC. 

Early next year apps will be available on the PS3 supporting Sony Media fusion for Sports.  There will be a pay to view special with multi camera views selectable by the viewer.  Streamed live Via Cable or Direct TV and recorded on the PS3 hard disk with a user able to replay any scene with a user's choice of multiple camera angles.  

Sony was willing to take a huge loss on the OVERDESIGNED for games PS3 because the end game was to have enough PS3s on the market to kick start what's going to start next year.  

Message 73 of 147 (221 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 12, 2012

jeff_rigby wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

jeff_rigby wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
While I believe all of these things are being developed, I don't believe that we will see any of them for this console generation, especially since the next generation is being actively developed.

I'm sure that NASNE will do well in Japan and possibly Europe, but those countries are much smaller than the US and only have a few standards to contend with. In the US there are too many companies and standards to work with to make an all-in-one solution practical. There was a previous effort to merge a DVR with the PS3 that also didn't come to the US.

Cablecard support is a must for NASNE for US adoption, but even with that, I don't think that consumer's are going to be educated enough to know that it is a viable alternative, and it won't sell very well.

I still believe the HDMI pass through in the X361 was contingent on Microsoft making a deal to make their own pay TV service. Since that failed to happen, the best they can do is to offer streaming coverage of ESPN, and deals with Comcast, Verizon, and at&t to use the X360 as a cable box.

This generation will support it.   

True2way includes RVU (DLNA + DTCP-IP + HTML UI),  Includes parts of  DVB hbbTV with Java,  includes parts of ATSC 2.0  

An APP on the PS3 for instance does not have to run on a set top box, it's running on a PS3 and only has to know the "calls" in the tru2way standards which have at their base the software stacks in a network connected blu-ray player: Java, HTML5, DTCP-IP, DLNA, h.264 ACV, Mpeg2 

The big issue is being able to intercept and act on the video stream: HDMI pass-thru, RVU, Allvid and for in the clear OTA or cable just a network connected tuner like HD Homerun.

The PS3 will support RVU! It's in cited by Verizon and Direct TV "RVU support for the PS3".  If the PS3 supports RVU then it will work with Time Warner which is also supporting RVU.  I have found no mention for Comcast.  

It's no accident that the PS3 is also a network connected blu-ray player, that DTCP-IP came with firmware 3.21 or a HTML5 stack started with firmware 3.5 and a full HTML5 browser with video and DRM will be in the PS3 with 4.5 and full ATSC 2.0 by 5.0 March 2013.  It is no accident that the PS3 4K chassis will play 4K media with h.265 and firmware 5.0

I'm sure what you have stated is accurate, the real issue is if it will actually be implemented. Since Microsoft already has a relationship with 3 of the leading cable providers, and they are positioning the Xbox product as a universal entertainment device, they are most likely to have some concrete plans when the X720 comes around. 

I don't believe (like PlayTV) that NASNE will see the light of day in the US. Sony is far less committed to making the PS3 into a universal entertainment device than Microsoft is...

I'm going to guess that Play TV and Torne DVRs not being released in the US is the reason for your opinion.  The EU and Japan are 1 or more years ahead of us in the US.  ATSC 2.0 is now entering the final stages before it's "officially" released in 2013.  The NASNE SoC supports Cable card which is a US only standard.  

Gesh, both Sony and Microsoft have the same plans but Sony is further along as the PS3 IS and always was planned to support Media.  Didn't you get that the plan in 2001 was to use a blu-ray player to support ATSC 2.0.  That the CELL is a multi-media processor, that the video previews (multiple Video clips) playing on the XMB are showing that the PS3 can handle MULTIPLE video streams at the same time.  Now read the Sony Media Fusion proposal to the ATSC 2.0 committee with multiple video streams & HEVC. 

Early next year apps will be available on the PS3 supporting Sony Media fusion for Sports.  There will be a pay to view special with multi camera views selectable by the viewer.  Streamed live Via Cable or Direct TV and recorded on the PS3 hard disk with a user able to replay any scene with a user's choice of multiple camera angles.  

Sony was willing to take a huge loss on the OVERDESIGNED for games PS3 because the end game was to have enough PS3s on the market to kick start what's going to start next year.  

My point is that Microsoft and Sony can make all the plans they want, and it is probably prudent to do so in case they want to execute one of them. Just because you see documentation that Sony is developing a television technology, doesn't mean it will actually come out, sometimes companies develop and patent technology just to prevent to competition from using it.

Based on what both companies has actually done so far indicates to me that Microsoft is far more likely to do most of the things you have mentioned over Sony. Microsoft already has a relationship with 3 leading cable providers, and is actively making new deals with content providers. Sony isn't really doing that.

I agree that Sony was focused on making the PS3 the hub of a multimedia entertainment system from the beginning, and tried to market the CELL processor as the future of computing (Sony apparently tried to sell Steve Jobs on the CELL, beforethey went with Intel for the Mac). Toshiba even made a TV based on CELL technology. But I am afraid that is as far as it went. Toshiba has since divested from the CELL joint venture entirely, and Sony is apparently going with entirely different technology for the PS4. Unlike Microsoft, Sony seems to be prioritizing original game development over anything else.

As far as that Media fusion proposal, I have seen documents like that before. The way I see it (like the leaked Microsoft powerpoint) they are simply proposals for future technology. If it was going to happen it would take years for content providers to adopt and implement, it isn't likely to suddenly appear next year.

Next year IMO Sony will be too concerned with its reorganization efforts and launching the PS4 to concern itself with implementing these new media technologies.

Your statement about Sony taking a loss launching the PS3, IMO had a lot more to do with Sony winning the HD format war than anything else, otherwise it would have made more sense for them to wait until the technology was cheaper to manufacture.

I believe that once Apple is successful in striking a deal with cable providers and content makers (with its AppleTV project) is when we may see the Microsoft and Sony follow...

Message 74 of 147 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Sep 12, 2012
I am expecting a wonder book bundle possibly with the book of spells game
Message 75 of 147 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 12, 2012

2 words...BACKWARDS COMPALIBILTY.

Message 76 of 147 (176 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 12, 2012

KoRnKlOwN69 wrote:
I am expecting a wonder book bundle possibly with the book of spells game

I sincerely doubt that Sony is going to release a PS3 Wonderbook bundle in the US....

Message 77 of 147 (173 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 12, 2012

sk2tha8 wrote:

2 words...BACKWARDS COMPALIBILTY.

PS2 BC isn't coming back since there are HD remakes available and PS2 classics to download. All PS3s can play PSone games...

Message 78 of 147 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
529 posts

Sep 12, 2012
Sony knows they'd make a lot more money if they re-added PS2 support like some of the original models. Why would anyone with a slim buy a slimmer model with same features? Not me but I sure would buy a new PS3 if it came with PS2 support like my YLOD 60GB and 80GB. I want to play FFXI on PS3 again, it had 480p support (FFXI on PS2 didn't) and graphic enhancements.
Final Fantasy XI: Darklordsidius
(Caitsith) *Ragnarok*

Gaming since 1982
Message 79 of 147 (167 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 12, 2012

Darklordsidius wrote:
Sony knows they'd make a lot more money if they re-added PS2 support like some of the original models. Why would anyone with a slim buy a slimmer model with same features? Not me but I sure would buy a new PS3 if it came with PS2 support like my YLOD 60GB and 80GB. I want to play FFXI on PS3 again, it had 480p support (FFXI on PS2 didn't) and graphic enhancements.

I don't really agree with that. 

First of all Sony would really only make money through the sale of new PS2 games, and the thing is new PS2 games aren't really being sold anymore. Adding PS2 BC would mainly benefit those that want to play PS2 games that are already owned, or to purchase used games.

The "slimmer" PS3 is cheaper for Sony to make, and will likely sell for less than the current PS3s. The lower price will help attract new customers to buy a PS3, it isn't really intended for current PS3 Slim owners, unless they want to upgrade...

Message 80 of 147 (157 Views)
0 Likes