Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
2088 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim Rumors and Speculation

Sep 9, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
I do know that Google TV can control a DirectTV STB without the use of a IR blaster, but that is it.

I also know that there was a project to make DirectTV compatible with Windows Media Center, but that project was canceled.

From what I have seen, there are too many different cable interface standards out there that would make integrating a separate interface (Smart TV, Google TV, Apple TV) too awkward to be attractive to most people...

AMD chipset supports IR blaster.  RVU includes the ability to control the DVR box so IR blaster not needed.  The Xbox and PS3 already have the pieces to support RVU and have had them since 2010.  Leaks have DTCP-IP DRM planned before the firmware 3.0 release but it was delayed till 3.21.   DLNA + DTCP-IP + HTML (subset really) are needed to support RVU.  Direct TV and Verizon have mentioned support for the PS3 by name, I think everyone will support RVU and both PS3 and Xbox will support RVU.  

Different cable interface standards or rather multiple older cable boxes and DVR boxes makes for slow adoption.  Over The Air is going to be easier to support with just a tuner connected to an antenna on one end and a home network on the other.  This is mentioned in the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, software support for HD Homerun tuners.  Sony will support this with NASNE and I hope they also provide software to support HD Homerun tuners.  

The NASNE if it supports a cable card will replace a DVR cablebox.  It's the short term answer till cable companies replace their old equipment.  

Message 61 of 147 (320 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 9, 2012
While I believe all of these things are being developed, I don't believe that we will see any of them for this console generation, especially since the next generation is being actively developed.

I'm sure that NASNE will do well in Japan and possibly Europe, but those countries are much smaller than the US and only have a few standards to contend with. In the US there are too many companies and standards to work with to make an all-in-one solution practical. There was a previous effort to merge a DVR with the PS3 that also didn't come to the US.

Cablecard support is a must for NASNE for US adoption, but even with that, I don't think that consumer's are going to be educated enough to know that it is a viable alternative, and it won't sell very well.

I still believe the HDMI pass through in the X361 was contingent on Microsoft making a deal to make their own pay TV service. Since that failed to happen, the best they can do is to offer streaming coverage of ESPN, and deals with Comcast, Verizon, and at&t to use the X360 as a cable box.
Message 62 of 147 (363 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 9, 2012
IMO the most effective way to make the next gen consoles into a cable STB is to have Tru2Way support (updated version of the cablecard that supports on-demand programming). Anything short of that I believe will have limited adoption in the US market...
Message 63 of 147 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012

it seems our thread has made news..... just google "ps3 4000" set it for the past 24 hours.... we are in the sources of the new stuff like the sixthaxis

Message 64 of 147 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2088 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 10, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
While I believe all of these things are being developed, I don't believe that we will see any of them for this console generation, especially since the next generation is being actively developed.

I'm sure that NASNE will do well in Japan and possibly Europe, but those countries are much smaller than the US and only have a few standards to contend with. In the US there are too many companies and standards to work with to make an all-in-one solution practical. There was a previous effort to merge a DVR with the PS3 that also didn't come to the US.

Cablecard support is a must for NASNE for US adoption, but even with that, I don't think that consumer's are going to be educated enough to know that it is a viable alternative, and it won't sell very well.

I still believe the HDMI pass through in the X361 was contingent on Microsoft making a deal to make their own pay TV service. Since that failed to happen, the best they can do is to offer streaming coverage of ESPN, and deals with Comcast, Verizon, and at&t to use the X360 as a cable box.

This generation will support it.   

True2way includes RVU (DLNA + DTCP-IP + HTML UI),  Includes parts of  DVB hbbTV with Java,  includes parts of ATSC 2.0  

An APP on the PS3 for instance does not have to run on a set top box, it's running on a PS3 and only has to know the "calls" in the tru2way standards which have at their base the software stacks in a network connected blu-ray player: Java, HTML5, DTCP-IP, DLNA, h.264 ACV, Mpeg2 

The big issue is being able to intercept and act on the video stream: HDMI pass-thru, RVU, Allvid and for in the clear OTA or cable just a network connected tuner like HD Homerun.

The PS3 will support RVU! It's in cited by Verizon and Direct TV "RVU support for the PS3".  If the PS3 supports RVU then it will work with Time Warner which is also supporting RVU.  I have found no mention for Comcast.  

It's no accident that the PS3 is also a network connected blu-ray player, that DTCP-IP came with firmware 3.21 or a HTML5 stack started with firmware 3.5 and a full HTML5 browser with video and DRM will be in the PS3 with 4.5 and full ATSC 2.0 by 5.0 March 2013.  It is no accident that the PS3 4K chassis will play 4K media with h.265 and firmware 5.0

Message 65 of 147 (283 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 10, 2012

jeff_rigby wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

This generation will support it.   

True2way includes RVU (DLNA + DTCP-IP + HTML UI),  Includes parts of  DVB hbbTV with Java,  includes parts of ATSC 2.0  

An APP on the PS3 for instance does not have to run on a set top box, it's running on a PS3 and only has to know the "calls" in the tru2way standards which have at their base the software stacks in a network connected blu-ray player: Java, HTML5, DTCP-IP, DLNA, h.264 ACV, Mpeg2 

The big issue is being able to intercept and act on the video stream: HDMI pass-thru, RVU, Allvid and for in the clear OTA or cable just a network connected tuner like HD Homerun.

The PS3 will support RVU! It's in cited by Verizon and Direct TV "RVU support for the PS3".  If the PS3 supports RVU then it will work with Time Warner which is also supporting RVU.  I have found no mention for Comcast.  

It's no accident that the PS3 is also a network connected blu-ray player, that DTCP-IP came with firmware 3.21 or a HTML5 stack started with firmware 3.5 and a full HTML5 browser with video and DRM will be in the PS3 with 4.5 and full ATSC 2.0 by 5.0 March 2013.  It is no accident that the PS3 4K chassis will play 4K media with h.265 and firmware 5.0

I'm sure what you have stated is accurate, the real issue is if it will actually be implemented. Since Microsoft already has a relationship with 3 of the leading cable providers, and they are positioning the Xbox product as a universal entertainment device, they are most likely to have some concrete plans when the X720 comes around. 

I don't believe (like PlayTV) that NASNE will see the light of day in the US. Sony is far less committed to making the PS3 into a universal entertainment device than Microsoft is...

Message 66 of 147 (269 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
4213 posts

Sep 10, 2012

This thread has been cleaned up.  Please keep the conversation on topic.  Thank you.

Message 67 of 147 (262 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Sep 10, 2012
Thanks AeroVayne, Ok now on to the rest of us, if the PS3 is to reap the rewards this year, I believe an announcement or at least a tease at TGS is in order and then if it isnt announced at TGS Sony will schedule their own event, then to really reap the rewards, they need to ship in time for black friday or at the very most christmas, however I believe if they are planning it they should replace the PS3 in the AC3 bundle with this new one or else it would just tick some people off, so I believe an October release date would be better
Message 68 of 147 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
775 posts

Sep 10, 2012
agreed im thinking of getting that bundle only if it includes the new one... if the new one is announced that is... as I am ps3less at the moment and having withdrawals... thanks ylod!
Message 69 of 147 (235 Views)
First Son
28 posts

Sep 11, 2012
Yeah my PS3 ylod'd ages ago and I stopped buying consoles and stopped gaming altogether, Im coming back little by little, I have PSone, a PS2, and am saving for a Vita and Getting A PS3 for my BDay
Message 70 of 147 (223 Views)
0 Likes