Sep 04 2012
By: TechGenius20 First Son 28 posts

PS3 Super Slim Rumors and Speculation

146 replies 1844 views Edited Sep 4, 2012

Ok so I've been reading up on this story since it first appeared on the internet and its been kinda dead lately, I thought it was crap till I read that one of the Sony Execs said something about no price cuts for the PS3, so I was kinda bummed until I went to Wally World and saw that they dropped the Price of the PS3 320gb Move Bundle by $50 permanently to $300, seems kinda fishy to me, Ill be holding my breath till christmas, if nothing shows up by then, Im buying a current slim, What do you guys make out of the story? Some people think its bogus just because its late in the PS3s life cycle but the PS2 had a revision in 2007 or 2009 If I remember correctly with the 90000 series SKU, so I cant dismiss it completely

Message 1 of 147 (1,844 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15903 posts

Re: PS3 Super Slim Rumors and Speculation

Sep 4, 2012

TechGenius20 wrote:

Ok so I've been reading up on this story since it first appeared on the internet and its been kinda dead lately, I thought it was crap till I read that one of the Sony Execs said something about no price cuts for the PS3, so I was kinda bummed until I went to Wally World and saw that they dropped the Price of the PS3 320gb Move Bundle by $50 permanently to $300, seems kinda fishy to me, Ill be holding my breath till christmas, if nothing shows up by then, Im buying a current slim, What do you guys make out of the story? Some people think its bogus just because its late in the PS3s life cycle but the PS2 had a revision in 2007 or 2009 If I remember correctly with the 90000 series SKU, so I cant dismiss it completely

Thats probably to get people to take notice and buy it so they can make room for more stock. When a product sits on a shelf, the store is literally losing money. The longer it sits the more likely they have to make their own price cuts and specials to try to get it off the shelf to make their money back

It not late in the PS3s life cycle. Its never too late for Sony to cut production costs and sell the PS3 at a profit. If that means making another redesign, then so be it. The revision for the PS2 was only internal hardware revision, mostly in part to prevent piracy. The PS2 only had 2 big hardware changes... the Fat and the Slim.

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 2 of 147 (1,841 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Sep 4, 2012

But would you say the PS3 "Super" or "Ultra" Slim seems likely? I mean theyre have been some pretty legit photos out there on the internet that look about as credible as the ones from the factory in China from the Pre Currentt Slim days when the current slim was speculated. But, it also seems a little unlikely since thisll be a first time for 3 major hardware revisions in a consoles lifespan, but these current consoles are expected to have longer lifespans, so like you say, Sony has time to cut costs and make more profit and sales off the PS3 and they might steal some of Wii U's thunder, iM expecting an announcement at TGS

Message 3 of 147 (1,831 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 4, 2012

TechGenius20 wrote:

But would you say the PS3 "Super" or "Ultra" Slim seems likely? I mean theyre have been some pretty legit photos out there on the internet that look about as credible as the ones from the factory in China from the Pre Currentt Slim days when the current slim was speculated. But, it also seems a little unlikely since thisll be a first time for 3 major hardware revisions in a consoles lifespan, but these current consoles are expected to have longer lifespans, so like you say, Sony has time to cut costs and make more profit and sales off the PS3 and they might steal some of Wii U's thunder, iM expecting an announcement at TGS

I think you mean the first time there has been 2 major revisions. The super slim rumors are true because Sony is required by law to submit the unit into the FCC for evaluation to make sure it complies with fedearal standards. After a set time this report becomes public record and can be accessed by anyone. What we got from our own FCC was a diagram of what the underside of the super slim looked like. The Brazillian version of the FCC actually had pictures of what the system look like, from several angles.

When Sony formally announces this new system, they will probably also state that the lower production cost of this system will allow them to sell the system at a lower price. I'm thinking that the price should come down $50 at least, it could be a bit more...

Message 4 of 147 (1,820 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6495 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 4, 2012

TechGenius20 wrote:

i doubt  it.. for 2 reason good reason

1. they are  cutting back on cost or trying to save,

2. they  are shutting down alot of  devs,

WIth those two factors, i doubt  making a new  slim would  be a smart thing to do  it doesnt fit in  the mold of cutting cost or saving.

a price drop could be coming..  but  i dont know for sure

But if im wrong the new slim is going have to have to be about  500gb of  1tb of memeory and be  about 500$ in price. Thats the only way it going to sell  and excite the gamers for the ps  brand as  well consumers. Anything  else in my opinion is  a waste of revenue becuase  your in a  cutting  cost phase.

With that set up they can really launch mmo  online gaming  with full authority as welll as not ahve to worry about compressing  gb space  on games, musi  movies etc. But that set up would very costly to do  for them to do a theses  when they cutting devs and cost left and right but it  could make  alot of money, i dont see  why it wouldnt with that set up . So  we will have to wait and see what  they do..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 5 of 147 (1,799 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 4, 2012

The new PS3 4000 "superslims" are going to come with 3 storage options, 16GB, 160GB, and 500GB. It is speculated that the 16GB version uses flash memory instead of a HDD, and should be price competitvely to the $199 4GB X360...

ps3-novo-documento.jpg

Message 6 of 147 (1,769 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6495 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

The new PS3 4000 "superslims" are going to come with 3 storage options, 16GB, 160GB, and 500GB. It is speculated that the 16GB version uses flash memory instead of a HDD, and should be price competitvely to the $199 4GB X360...

ps3-novo-documento.jpg

Well that pure speculations. and  might  will change at any time..  I feel personally  sony dont need a 16gb   that is same at the 20&40 gb  issues they released with not enough space for  gamer and  to expensive to make.

they should revise   the 60 gb fat and make that a slim 60gb that  would be a better thought for the gamer on the go(causal gamer).. put that at the price point of 199$.

All the  casual gamer thinking is out of control, they should understand the gamer does want some kind of mass gaming storage, they do own  games. I think the  500gb is the step in the right direction. But i dont think its nessary  right now to be trying make new consoles with all the closing, and etc.

16gb of  memory  is not memeory it really waste of time to be with debuting that. why not take the 60gb and revise it. make it flash and  new slim. Thats a  win-win. i dont know if it would cost effective but it  at same it would  be very effective to the gamer onthe go,  they would spend more , becuase they have space to  do that.. i think they gambling on cloud sales from the gamer.. The need to look athe reality and  look at the common  issues that be.

off topic /.. i really dont agree with a flash  memory ,  it just leads to hack and   issues..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 7 of 147 (1,755 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 4, 2012

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

ps3-novo-documento.jpg

Well that pure speculations. and  might  will change at any time..  I feel personally  sony dont need a 16gb   that is same at the 20&40 gb  issues they released with not enough space for  gamer and  to expensive to make.

they should revise   the 60 gb fat and make that a slim 60gb that  would be a better thought for the gamer on the go(causal gamer).. put that at the price point of 199$.

All the  casual gamer thinking is out of control, they should understand the gamer does want some kind of mass gaming storage, they do own  games. I think the  500gb is the step in the right direction. But i dont think its nessary  right now to be trying make new consoles with all the closing, and etc.

16gb of  memory  is not memeory it really waste of time to be with debuting that. why not take the 60gb and revise it. make it flash and  new slim. Thats a  win-win. i dont know if it would cost effective but it  at same it would  be very effective to the gamer onthe go,  they would spend more , becuase they have space to  do that.. i think they gambling on cloud sales from the gamer.. The need to look athe reality and  look at the common  issues that be.

off topic /.. i really dont agree with a flash  memory ,  it just leads to hack and   issues..

It isn't speculation, since Sony filed this information at a federal agency, and is now a public record.

IMO 16GB is plenty of space to get started with a few game, if you are brand new to the PS3. What I like about it is that one can buy the 16GB unit and then add in whatever size hard drive they want from the start, instead of buying a system and immediately upgrading the hard drive....

Message 8 of 147 (1,742 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Sep 4, 2012

With the thought that it might be an "ultraslim" model is there a possibility they may not add the hdd port?  If that were the direction they went the 16gb system would be a horrible buy.... I could list two to three games that would fill that up alone with would fill it up with required installs.  Unless... and this is a big unless.... they were looking at pricing this system in the $99 range.  Then I'll be buying it for my boys as soon as it hits the street :smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 147 (1,739 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 4, 2012

ronniecutthroat wrote:

With the thought that it might be an "ultraslim" model is there a possibility they may not add the hdd port?  If that were the direction they went the 16gb system would be a horrible buy.... I could list two to three games that would fill that up alone with would fill it up with required installs.  Unless... and this is a big unless.... they were looking at pricing this system in the $99 range.  Then I'll be buying it for my boys as soon as it hits the street :smileyhappy:

I don't think that the 16GB version will lack a HDD port, IMO it will be like the 4GB X360 which has built in flash memory and still has a HDD port available for future use. I don't think that this new version is going to hit as low as $99, some people are thinking $150-$170 for the 16GB version.

Hopefully, we will be finding more out soon!

Message 10 of 147 (1,734 Views)