May 22 2013
By: Fattieman First Son 29 posts

PS3 Storage/Game Data Question

[ Edited ]
7 replies 159 views Edited May 22, 2013

Hello. This is a 3 part question.

I am a recent PS3 owner, and I have few questions regarding the PS3 storage.

Question #1:

I am coming from an Xbox 360 (which I have owned since 2007), and I know on that platform you can easily see what is stored on your device (games, videos, demos, etc.) and how much space they take up.

My question is if there is an equivalent version of this on the PS3? Because I have yet to see it.

Question #2:

When downloading items from the PS Store, where do they go exactly? For example, I downloaded several DLC items for iNFAMOUS 2 (skins, weapons, powers, etc.), and they are not located under my "GAMES" section in the XMB. However,  with the stand-alone game iNFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, it is located in this section, and I can see how much space it takes up.

Also, on the Xbox 360, if you already have a particular item on your storage device you are trying to download, it will notify you saying that it is: 1) already on your Xbox & 2) if you'd like to download it again.

How does this work for PS3? Because with the first part of QUESTION #2 I thought maybe that the item didn't download properly (or all the way), and that's why I didn't see it in the XMB. But it didn't notify me saying that I already owned it, and downloaded it quickly (it was a 100KB file) again.

Question # 3

Also, if you download multiple of the same item (for example, 2 of the same demo), will only one of those download, or will the 2 items stack up on top of eachother, giving you access to only one, but taking up twice as much space?

I came across this error when I accidentally downloaded the God of War: Ascension demo twice. One was currently being downloaded while the other was pending. Is this a known error? This would never happen with Xbox so I am very confused.

If you can help me out, I will be very thankful. I am trying to get used to my new PS3, so any tip will help!

Thanks.

Xbox Live GT: Lord Fattieman
Steam ID: Fattieman
Message 1 of 8 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3614 posts

Re: PS3 Storage/Game Data Question

May 22, 2013

Well, for your first you have the corisponding sections. i.e music for music etc.

You can find out your spce you have by going to settings/system settings/second from last cant look on ps3 writting this...

When you look your actual space is on the left side not the right, the right side numbers are telling you the beginning size after formatting....

secodly, games goto games section where you have to click and install after download.

Same with demos.

dlc etc usually auto installs some goes to the game section where you install manually.

Then to access it you do that in the game it is for..

3rd you can download multiple of the same, but will not allow installation of multiple of the same...

Hope this helps...

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 8 (153 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

Thanks for answering some of the questions I have asked:

For the first question, I was already aware of the standard BLANK GB out of BLANK GB that you find in the settings menu in the XMB. I was just wondering if there was a more expansive and in-depth version of this that is found on other devices (such as Xbox or Apple devices).

Secondly, what if you don't have the game yet but downloaded DLC for it? I don't own iNFAMOUS 2 yet, but I figured I'd download the extra content in advanced. There were at least 3-5 DLC items that were 100kb each, but when I go to the "GAME DATA UTLITY" in the "GAME" section of the XMB, it only shows a single "iNFAMOUS 2 Additional Content" file that's only 74KB.

I'm very confused by this.

Message 3 of 8 (147 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

May 23, 2013
And when your game does a mandatory install, how can you tell how much data it takes up?
Message 4 of 8 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
13655 posts

May 23, 2013

Fattieman wrote:
And when your game does a mandatory install, how can you tell how much data it takes up?

It's usually on the back cover of the game.

If not, you can't really tell without just opening up the Game Data Utility, and then looking at the size

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 8 (103 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7215 posts

May 23, 2013

Fattieman wrote:

Hello. This is a 3 part question.

I am a recent PS3 owner, and I have few questions regarding the PS3 storage.

Question #1:

I am coming from an Xbox 360 (which I have owned since 2007), and I know on that platform you can easily see what is stored on your device (games, videos, demos, etc.) and how much space they take up.

My question is if there is an equivalent version of this on the PS3? Because I have yet to see it.

I'm not sure what the XBox has, but you can see total space used/available (as pointed out above) and you can look at individual items by selecting them and pressing triangle button, then look at their information to see the file size.

Question #2:

When downloading items from the PS Store, where do they go exactly? For example, I downloaded several DLC items for iNFAMOUS 2 (skins, weapons, powers, etc.), and they are not located under my "GAMES" section in the XMB. However,  with the stand-alone game iNFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, it is located in this section, and I can see how much space it takes up.

Also, on the Xbox 360, if you already have a particular item on your storage device you are trying to download, it will notify you saying that it is: 1) already on your Xbox & 2) if you'd like to download it again.

How does this work for PS3? Because with the first part of QUESTION #2 I thought maybe that the item didn't download properly (or all the way), and that's why I didn't see it in the XMB. But it didn't notify me saying that I already owned it, and downloaded it quickly (it was a 100KB file) again.

If you wait for a download to finish in the store, it will install it right away.  If you download in background, it will appear as a "bubble" somewhere on the XMB (depending on the type of content) which you will then have to install yourself.  When you download DLC, it will be as it's own install file (a bubble under the game menu).  If it's just an unlock (usually 100 KB), it will automatically install that as part of the game data.  The PS3 will not tell you if something's already downloaded.  The download will proceed and take up space, but once "installed" it does not take up any more data.

Question # 3

Also, if you download multiple of the same item (for example, 2 of the same demo), will only one of those download, or will the 2 items stack up on top of eachother, giving you access to only one, but taking up twice as much space?

As I mentioned above, both will download, but only one will install.  It will let you install the second one, but it won't actually take up more space.  I assume it overwrites the first download, but I'm not sure.

I came across this error when I accidentally downloaded the God of War: Ascension demo twice. One was currently being downloaded while the other was pending. Is this a known error? This would never happen with Xbox so I am very confused.

If you can help me out, I will be very thankful. I am trying to get used to my new PS3, so any tip will help!

Thanks.

You're welcome; hope this helps!

Message 6 of 8 (92 Views)
First Son
29 posts

May 24, 2013

Thank you JERM7.

The issue is, I don't have INfamous 2 yet, & since I'm a new user, I was unaware about the whole "install" process.

Since many of these files were 100kb files, they were installed instantly.

But why do they only show up as a 74kb file for iNfamous 2 in the "Games" section of the XMB?

Also, if you redownload an item, but its already installed, what happens to that data? Is it instantly erased or does it sit somewhere in the HDD taking up space?

Message 7 of 8 (78 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7215 posts

May 24, 2013

Fattieman wrote:

Thank you JERM7.

The issue is, I don't have INfamous 2 yet, & since I'm a new user, I was unaware about the whole "install" process.

Since many of these files were 100kb files, they were installed instantly.

But why do they only show up as a 74kb file for iNfamous 2 in the "Games" section of the XMB?

Also, if you redownload an item, but its already installed, what happens to that data? Is it instantly erased or does it sit somewhere in the HDD taking up space?

I'm not sure, but my best guess is that 100 KB is the smallest increment the store will report.  These are just unlocks; the actual data for the add-ons will be part of the game itself.  "Extra" downloads will take up space until you delete or install them.

Message 8 of 8 (66 Views)
0 Likes