Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1123 posts

Re: PS3 Solid State Drive HELP!!!

Jun 6, 2011

AuroN__POLAND wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6192258/playstation-3-solid-state-drive-upgrade-report-updated

Is old post, i search no have 2011 new post and information SSD for PS3.

Just because the info is old does not mean its not correct, but you asked for help and you got your answers that the drive you want will cause you headaches, is not used for continues read / write and there is no speed increase and is not  good for use in a PS3, but you said money is not a problem for you, get it and when your drive dies you can get another one. Good Luck to you.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 13 (125 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 21, 2012

hmmmi have an ocz agility 3 in my ps3, i just guessed as my ps3 is the 12gig model it has a ssd built onboard, so i cant see the ps3 causing harm too an ssd if sony fits them onboard, or is that only for the older ps3

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 13 (112 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15152 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

stevevnicks wrote:

hmmmi have an ocz agility 3 in my ps3, i just guessed as my ps3 is the 12gig model it has a ssd built onboard, so i cant see the ps3 causing harm too an ssd if sony fits them onboard, or is that only for the older ps3

12/16Gb PS3's have FLASH ROM. Not an SSD.

There are many technical differences between them, even tho SSD use flash rom technology, they are different in many ways. But its too much to explain. Google can help you out with that.

You are also misunderstanding... SSD performance, DEGRADES OVER TIME with constant read/writes and even deletions. this is due in part to the PS3 not having the necessary Trim and Garbage Collection support in the OS's firmware, regardless if you update the firmware in an SSD(which only benefits such on a PC anyway).

With a hdd, drive performance degradation takes longer. And with the PS3's OS having drive indexing, you can completely fill up the hdd with data and performance will not be affected. (Not like previous Operating System technology where the more data is on a hdd the slower PC's become)

And if you download games from the PSN, you'll NEED at least 50GB free space because you need double the space of the actual games size in order to download it, and then install, then the games install file will be deleted. The largest I've seen required is about 30Gb total.... A game being 15Gb to download the install file, and then another 15Gb for the actual game to be installed.

And for those who are more technically inclined.... a 120Gb SSD, is actually about 90Gb of total storage after formatting and the PS3's OS takes up about 12% of drive space for drive indexing.... 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 13 (106 Views)
0 Likes