May 02 2013
By: Z_Big_Kahuna First Son 12 posts

PS3 Slim in wood cabinet?

31 replies 1804 views Edited May 2, 2013

I just got a PS3 slim (not super slim) a few days ago and was forced to put it inside a wood cabinet rather than out in the open.  I know that leaving it in the open is better but i didn't have a choice. When i'm playing i leave the door to the cabinet open, it has about 10 inches on the left and right and about a foot on the top and back. I also have it raised about 2 inches off the surface with 4 pieces of pvc pipe and have a fan from an old air hockey table forcing fresh air into the cabinet and over/under the system. Does anyone see me having problems with it overheating? If so i might be able to work something out with either more fans or try and get it out in the open. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 32 (1,804 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Re: PS3 Slim in wood cabinet?

May 2, 2013

Well as long as you give it venation space it should be fine.

Message 2 of 32 (1,801 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

May 2, 2013

Why not pull it OUTSIDE when using it, and put it in the cabinet when not in use?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 32 (1,794 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

[ Edited ]
May 2, 2013

I was thinking about doing that but my parents are really picky about what sits out there. The T.V isn't even sitting on it, its on the wall, and all the cords have to be neatly routed to it in a bundle.

Message 4 of 32 (1,772 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

May 2, 2013
It needs a fan, and the cabinet must be open whenever it is on.
Message 5 of 32 (1,766 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

May 2, 2013

It MUST be ventilated very well, and if it's behind closed doors EVER when it's on, good luck. My Slim used to sit in the open all the time. I moved it to the living room when I got a SS for my office.

In the Living Room it has a drawer meant for devices to be in, it wasn't good for it though, it would over heat when it NEVER did before, just being on that shelf/drawer that pulls out, only having it on pulled out when it was on even.

If the drawer was ever shut while the Slim PS3 was turned on, it overheated fast. (

I was forced to have to put it on the console table, and it's not pretty. But it never overheats now. It's something I can live with.

Basically, you can elevate it and all that, but I do think that is not enough, it'll still overheat with just the doors closed --very likely (unless you have fresh air moving in/hot air moving out in there. Well ventilated is more than space, it's also the space that exchanges the air, it'll heat up and become an oven if it's contained.

Message 6 of 32 (1,753 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

PS3 Slim in wood cabinet?

May 2, 2013

So what i need is alot of ventilation? So far i've been able to play it with my current setup for 5+ hrs and it didn't freeze or shutdown but does that mean its not overheating or not overheating to the point of failure? I'm thinking about getting a set of these (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090557.html) and cutting a hole in the cabinet behind the playstation so i can use one as an exhaust and one to suck fresh air into the cabinet.  And i NEVER play with the cabinet door closed, always wide open.

Message 7 of 32 (1,748 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

May 2, 2013

Z_Big_Kahuna wrote:

So what i need is alot of ventilation? So far i've been able to play it with my current setup for 5+ hrs and it didn't freeze or shutdown but does that mean its not overheating or not overheating to the point of failure? I'm thinking about getting a set of these (http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090557.html) and cutting a hole in the cabinet behind the playstation so i can use one as an exhaust and one to suck fresh air into the cabinet.  And i NEVER play with the cabinet door closed, always wide open.

Good idea.  Robot Happy

As for how your setup works, it might be OK for it as is, but would be awesome to mod the back of the cabinet so that IF it's closed and the PS3 is on for any reason it'll stay cooler. 

You can feel the PS3 when it's on, it should be warm, expelling warm air. --Mine when it go close to overheating you could hear the fans spinning so loud, and it has HOT air coming out and the PS3 feels hot too. It takes a lot before it shutdown on you, but most PS3 owners don't want to risk losing their PS3, and heat is the enemy of electronics. 

Message 8 of 32 (1,740 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

May 2, 2013

just do what Doppel recomended and it will be fine...theres no since in over doing it..

they can actually take more than what most people realize especially if you put on some quality thermal compound on the heatsinks..but that may be beyond your doing..just my 2 cents...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 9 of 32 (1,736 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

May 2, 2013

The only problem with the exhaust fan thing is that we would have to cut a hole into the wall of the house (the cabinet is recessed in the wall) and i don't think my dad would like the idea very much, especially with all the dust and junk in there

Message 10 of 32 (1,730 Views)
0 Likes