Jan 15 2013
By: bahamut9902 First Son 2 posts

PS3 Slim Shuts off automactically

3 replies 87 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

Hello, 

A question to all gamers...I currently own a $250.00 paperweight. A.K.A a ps3 slim. it turns itself off, the controllers wont sync. I got it to start up the other day and tried to format it, it worked. We then played it for a few hours. Shut if off on our own just like you should. The next day...nothing. Wouldn't stay on. Hit the power button...turns on...5 seconds later... shuts off....This has been a serious issue for the last year. I saw some videos on taking it apart and turning some screws in the power supply. Many say they have success. But when i opened mine up and got to the power supply it didn't have those screws... AT ALL. nothing to turn. this power supply doesn't even say Sony, as all the others i have seen do. The model Number for the power supply is EADP-158AP A. Please is there anyone out there that can bring light to this situation? No.. there is no YLOD. it doesnt even stay on long enough for it to blink let alone stay on constant. So i know it's definetly not that. And it's not overheating as i have a laptop fan i place underneath to keep it cool. It's perfect tempature, with plenty of room and air flow it's on top of a table with nothing around. So.. any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Sincerly,

Terribly annoyed....

Message 1 of 4 (87 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41884 posts

Re: PS3 Slim Shuts off automactically

Jan 15, 2013

bahamut9902 wrote:

Hello, 

A question to all gamers...I currently own a $250.00 paperweight. A.K.A a ps3 slim. it turns itself off, the controllers wont sync. I got it to start up the other day and tried to format it, it worked. We then played it for a few hours. Shut if off on our own just like you should. The next day...nothing. Wouldn't stay on. Hit the power button...turns on...5 seconds later... shuts off....This has been a serious issue for the last year. I saw some videos on taking it apart and turning some screws in the power supply. Many say they have success. But when i opened mine up and got to the power supply it didn't have those screws... AT ALL. nothing to turn. this power supply doesn't even say Sony, as all the others i have seen do. The model Number for the power supply is EADP-158AP A. Please is there anyone out there that can bring light to this situation? No.. there is no YLOD. it doesnt even stay on long enough for it to blink let alone stay on constant. So i know it's definetly not that. And it's not overheating as i have a laptop fan i place underneath to keep it cool. It's perfect tempature, with plenty of room and air flow it's on top of a table with nothing around. So.. any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Sincerly,

Terribly annoyed....

When did the warranty expire on your PS3?

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 4 (79 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 15, 2013

It Ran out right before the issue began last feb. this thing has been sitting in my closet and i finally decided to try and fix it. figured there would be more people now who had the issue. So i took it out and began to try the trick of reformatting. got it to work. then it stopped again. now i cant get it to start in the safe mode. i cant get it to do anything Smiley Sad 

Message 3 of 4 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
84 posts

Jan 15, 2013

it's overheating

The PS3's simply overheat because of the cheap stock thermal paste they use. It dries up after about 2 years or so sometimes less depending on how heavy you use your PS3. My ps3 kept turning up the power on the fan while idling in the XMB with no disc in just  a few minutes after boot. I just opened mine last week, and took it apart  down to the motherboard to find the stock paste in mine BONE DRY after about 2 years of moderate use.

I bought some Artic Silver 5, cleaned up the old paste off the CPU, GPU and heatsync blocks, applied new paste, put everything back together, and now my fan isn't even on medium during a game with disc in. I know for a fact my PS3 is running much cooler. I also was able to blow out a lot of dust during the paste exchange which helped too. The power supply was covered. It's not that hard to do, and will solve overheating issues for sure, and will prevent a possible future YLOD.

Message 4 of 4 (56 Views)
0 Likes