Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 27 2012
By: The_TrueMiniboss First Son 10 posts

PS3 SLIM FAILURE. HELP!!!

7 replies 289 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

Ok, so as the title says, my PS3 failed me yesterday. I was in the middle of playing Black Ops II when all of a sudden my ps3 shuts completely off. I thought it was a power failure but my headset and and TV were still on. My ps3 did not have any lights on so I tried to use the power button to turn it on and it goes to the normal standby red light. I though my PS3 was fine, but I go to turn it on with the power button and it turns green for about a second and then shuts completely off again! No lights or anything. And it keeps doing the same thing. Turn it on to red light, try again to turn it on and it shuts off again. What is this?? I tried to find this on forums and stuff, but this is not a common problem apparently. I am ONE MONTH past the one year warranty, so it will be $99 to repair and I don't feel like paying another $99 on top of the 300 that I already paid for this. If it is a hard drive failure, I can easily purchase a new one. I do not think it is the YLOD symptom many people have because I have not seen any yellow lights or flashing red lights. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Re: PS3 SLIM FAILURE. HELP!!!

Dec 27, 2012
the most likely causes generally tend to be solder degradation, power supply failure, hard drive failure or a dead laser - unless you can afford a professional analysis you may need to rotate through the possibilities by replacing the respective parts, although this could become progressively expensive - try a replacement hard drive initially if you have one lying around, although it may well be a power supply issue if I had to guess..... someone needs to have a look at it to be honest ;-)
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (272 Views)
First Son
10 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Thanks for the help though. The only problem that I have with sending in my PS3 is not the 99 bucks it is that I will get back a refurb PS3 which may or may not work for a long time. I would like my things that I purchased to work for quite a while. Has anyone had any experience with Sony's repair service? Is it any good? Or should I just buy a new PS3? Or is there any chance for my PS3 yet?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 27, 2012
see if a local repair company will give you a provisional quote based on the evidence available, and then decide whether you can source the parts independently and fix it yourself (unless it's the motherboard you'll probably be more than capable if you do your homework) - as for sony's repair service you're entirely correct in that you'll lose all your data, and this route tends to be a treadmill with refurbs breaking down successively (I wouldn't) ......
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (259 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

I don't live in that big of a town, so there isnt anything in the way of repair shops that I know of that will be able to tell me what is wrong with my PS3. I could look around, but I'm not sure. Would a local repair shop be my best bet? Or should I just get a new one?

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
49 posts

Dec 27, 2012
read the following, and see if it's close enough to your own issue, as ebay may be all you need ;-)

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/206223-60GB-PS3-dead-no-power-at-all-FIXED!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (233 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

I thought it may be the power supply that failed, either that or the ribbon cable that connects the power/eject button to the motherboard may be broken in some way. I do not believe it  the hard drive issue anymore, although it could be, I don't know, and narrowed it down to those two options. They both have similar symptoms, but people with ribbon cable issues seem to be more accurate to what I am experiencing. I decided to take it to a local game shop to see if they could figure out what was wrong with it before I mess up my ps3 more. :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Dec 28, 2012
Same problem as I have. I'm also guessing it is a power supply issue, or the ribbon cable. It isn't the common YLOD as I have had it in the past.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (191 Views)
0 Likes