Splicer
52 posts

Re: PS3 Questions

May 22, 2011

I meant all the prices together would nearly match up to a Slim's cost, but when I said that, I didn't know they paid the shipping. That's really awesome, knew there was a reason why I love Sony and Playstation so much. xD *I thought it would be like Xbox360, you pay for everything, which I had to do twice now. >.>*

Message 31 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 22, 2011

Magitek-Elite wrote:

Thank you for the post, Garyxyz851

I wouldn't take it apart if it was under warranty. I mean if I am desperate to fix, have zero cash and is after warranty. 110 seems a lot, plus shipping would probably make it about the same cost as a new system. But I will remember this and try to keep my system in top notch. I'm really worried about the heat though, because I live in a Southern State now and it gets boiling hot...

@Logical_Dolphin :

Wow, thank you for the links! Reading the tutorial now. I think I could do the fan one, the problem would be finding the supplies now. The power supply seems a bit too much for a novice like me, but the paste seems easy enough xD

Unfortunatly, since no one sells the PS3 phats new, I can't get a used. I mean I could literally, but I'm not really allowd to buy used systems in the house unless at an insane price. I think I'm gonna go for the Slim. PS2/1 games doesn't really matter to me since I can play them on other systems I own xD

Can/should the fan and paste prevention be applied to the Slim as well (after warranty....)?

I don't get much money to buy systems, so I want to make sure that when I do, I pick the best xD

Thanks for answering my questions guys!

~Winter is Coming~

If you are truely not interested in playing PS2 games on your PS3, you should definately get the Slim. In spite of what some others may have said all PS3 systems can play pratically all PS1 games without issue.

There are a couple of cheaper options available from gamestop.com where the PS2 compatible 20/60/80 GB models are priced $249/$299/$249 respectively. If you decide to get one of these you should definately implement those tips to make sure the system lasts a long time. That eBay source for the 60GB systems I referred you to has already inspected, tested, and put on new thermal paste to ensure the system will last, so that is why it costs more.

My squidoo lens has all the links to all the supplies you need to buy, so you don't have to do go searching yourself.

Those tips are not ment to be performed on the Slim, although it may be a good idea to change the thermal paste, once the warranty has expired. Changing the fan and the power supply really only makes a difference on the fat models.

If you decide to get a Slim, you should wait until next month. It is possible that Sony may announce at least a $50 price cut on the system, at the E3 expo.

Message 32 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 22, 2011

I wait a month for the savings and a hopefull fix to the lastest 3.61 update. If money is really tight, waiting will allow to to get more money so that you'll be able to get a game or more if used (plenty at Game Stop). If you plan on going online to play, a PS Keypad and Bluetooth would get you started nicely, but I wouldn''t buy an off brand of the keypad.

Great work PD so far, keep the DLC coming!

Get your Portable ID!
Message 33 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 22, 2011

Target is running a promotion where you can get a $60 gift card with the purchase of a PS3 Slim, if you don't want to wait any longer...

Message 34 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
586 posts

May 22, 2011

I seriously doubt it would harm any of the parts.They stoped making the Fats due to the fact they were more prone to the YLOD and it costed lee to make.Why have a System that is faulty and costs more(a very small portion more but they make alot).If you won't play it as long then you might have it for 8-9 years or maybe it will just never die out.My second PS3 hasnt died out yet.Nintendo should make all systems.If you have a Nintendo 64 u know what im talking about.THOSE FuckIN THINGS ARE INDESTRUCTIBLE! LOL

Get your Portable ID!Made You Read This...MIND FREAK! IM NOT ALWAYS A RACIST BUT WHEN I AM IT'S ON XBOX LIVE. Raptor Jesus....He went Extinct for our sins http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/RaptorJesus-vs-FSM2.jpg?t=1259971737 http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/raptor-jesus.jpg
Message 35 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 23, 2011

You guys have helped me a lot, thank you so much for being this nice (I ususally get attacked on others sites if I ask questions) to a novice who needs help on deciding.

@Logical_Dolphin:

Yes, I don't mind PS2 games I own 3-4 PS2 (mostly slims) systems, 2 PS1 systems (I fix systems and end up having them just given to me), so PS2 games or PS1 games can be played on one of those instead. The sturdier the PS3 system it is, the best for me. Slim sounds like a great choice.

@smstevenms:

I would have to start slowly when building my collection, so I think a keyboard would be the best for me (I don't speak much on heads-sets, I'm really quiet xD) out of accesories.

I was looking at Gamestop last night and they are selling a bundle (160GB) for 299 dollars with a lot of things. Plus -- if I win the bid -- I will be getting Uncharted 2 with a headset, so that would  greatly improve what I have when I get the system. xD

@Logical_Dolphin:

How much longer does the promotion continue for? I still need a bit more money for my savings...

Message 36 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 23, 2011

The promotion only lasts a week, however I just heard that you might be able to get an additional $100 giftcard in addition to the $60 one making the effective cost of a new PS3 $140.

You can read more about it here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295313

Message 37 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 23, 2011

I don't think I'll be able to make the promotion

I'll see if I can get a loan moneyz from my parents and then pay them back xD

Message 38 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 23, 2011

This is likely the overall best deal one can get on a PS3 for the next several years. Plus you can save an additonal 5% ($15) if you use the Target credit card.

Message 39 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 23, 2011

Dang...Looks like I miss out on an insane deal. If only I was allowed to sell my Wii >.>

Message 40 of 62 (13 Views)
0 Likes