Sackboy
586 posts

Re: PS3 Questions

May 22, 2011

Mine died after like 3 years but im pretty hardcore and can play for like 1-14 hours a day everyday and almost all day on weekends if im not doing aanything like hanging out or volunteering.Last time I checked they only make Slims(You can get a Fat used) now which is resistent to YLOD and im pretty sure it plays almost all PS1 games but w/e

Get your Portable ID!Made You Read This...MIND FREAK! IM NOT ALWAYS A RACIST BUT WHEN I AM IT'S ON XBOX LIVE. Raptor Jesus....He went Extinct for our sins http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a196/Aragon101/RaptorJesus-vs-FSM2.jpg?t=1259971737 http://lee.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/raptor-jesus.jpg
Message 21 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 22, 2011

That's about the same hours my brothers play. Every single day,  since after school until real late at night. Though that's on the Xbox  360 (which 3 systems died from the red ring of death)

I don't think I'd be playing that much...I would keep it up and clean it a lot, if I can manage. Can air compressers be used to gently suck or blow out, dust? Or would that damage parts? And if so, does anyone have suggestions on what to get to clean the systems?

They don't make new Fat models? Seems really stupid... They should at least look into getting the system to play all PS games, instead of a select few. :/

Message 22 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 22, 2011

Oh I missed that comment.

Great work PD so far, keep the DLC coming!

Get your Portable ID!
Message 23 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 22, 2011

@smstevenms:

@shadowhood1111:

I have three N64s and yes I agree, they are nearly indestructible.

Message 24 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 22, 2011

I've also fixed countless PS2's that people have given me broken ones for free and i fixed them, beleive me fixing a PS2 is nothing like fixing a ps3, a PS2 is like caveman technology, anybody can fix it.

Message 25 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 22, 2011

Would it be dangerous to open it if I needed to? Is there a place I can read up on, that can be trusted, to learn how to fix/clean the system myself?

Message 26 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 22, 2011

Theres some video guides on YouTube but use them at your own risk as their by regular people trying to do makeshift repairs to their system they are not certified pros. If you open up your ps3 to repair it yourself it will void your warranty and Sony will not repair it. I have a Slim PS3 and i take good care of it, its always cold to the touch never even gets hot never glitches or anything, plus it downloads stuff faster and loads games/movies/etc way faster than the fat models!!! I love my slim it's the best.

But if you try to do repairs yourself, the tools needed will cost about $100 or more it's easier just to pay Sony to pay $150 to fix your system if it's not in warranty anymore! sometimes they charge lower, my friend got his fixed for $110!

Message 27 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

May 22, 2011

Magitek-Elite wrote:

Would it be dangerous to open it if I needed to? Is there a place I can read up on, that can be trusted, to learn how to fix/clean the system myself?

~Winter is Coming~

My signature link has a good video guide on opening the older PS3 systems. That link also has a recommended source of quality refirbished PS3s that can play PS1 & PS2 games.

IMO YLOD conditions happen from the thermal paste that Sony uses drying up causing the system to overheat. If it is replaced with a better performing compound, I believe that a YLOD issue is far less likely to happen.

Message 28 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 22, 2011

Thank you for the post, Garyxyz851

I wouldn't take it apart if it was under warranty. I mean if I am desperate to fix, have zero cash and is after warranty. 110 seems a lot, plus shipping would probably make it about the same cost as a new system. But I will remember this and try to keep my system in top notch. I'm really worried about the heat though, because I live in a Southern State now and it gets boiling hot...

@Logical_Dolphin :

Wow, thank you for the links! Reading the tutorial now. I think I could do the fan one, the problem would be finding the supplies now. The power supply seems a bit too much for a novice like me, but the paste seems easy enough xD

Unfortunatly, since no one sells the PS3 phats new, I can't get a used. I mean I could literally, but I'm not really allowd to buy used systems in the house unless at an insane price. I think I'm gonna go for the Slim. PS2/1 games doesn't really matter to me since I can play them on other systems I own xD

Can/should the fan and paste prevention be applied to the Slim as well (after warranty....)?

I don't get much money to buy systems, so I want to make sure that when I do, I pick the best xD

Thanks for answering my questions guys!

Message 29 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
461 posts

May 22, 2011

LOL? shipping would make it cost as much as a new system? A new system is 300+tax making it about 350 dollars, plus when you send in your system to Sony for repair they pay the shipping so it's free, they send you a box and everything and they pay the shipping. how is 110 dollars anywhere near 350? xD plus if you had zero cash you wouldn't be able to take it apart and repair it yourself anyway because the tools and products you need to repair it cost about $100 or more.

I also live in a southern state Oklahoma and today it was 85 degrees i played my PS3 all day long and it didn't get the least bit hot and the ps3's fan never went above Low.

Message 30 of 62 (27 Views)
0 Likes