May 21 2011
By: Magitek-Elite Splicer 52 posts

PS3 Questions

61 replies 1735 views Edited May 21, 2011

Hello community!

I am looking to buy a PS3, but I would like to know about the PROS and CONs of the PS3 system (and only that xD).

Here is what I have heard is wrong with it:

Dies very quickly.

Doesn't play a lot of PS1 games

Gets overheated too quick and gets the blue/yellow ring of death

Has Wifi Problems & Internet problems

Is difficult to set up Internet

I have heard a lot of good things about it, like games, updates, system performance, online play, servers and more. But if you know of any PROS and CONs, please share them with me

Thank you very much for reading,

Magitek~

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Re: PS3 Questions

May 21, 2011

the old ps3s dont overheat quickly, just change the thermal compund, the fan and the PSU and you will be fine.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

May 21, 2011

I got one of the new 160gb Slim models and can't say I've had any of the problems in that list.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
536 posts

May 21, 2011

It doesn't die quickly unluss you get a system that's a lemon

The newer slim models don't play any PS1 or PS2 titles unless you find yourself an older 60 or 80gb fat model. Most of the older titles are being released in the Playstation Store anyway so it really doesn't matter.

The fat models had a problem with overheating, but the slim models are are a lot better with ventilation to having overheating problems.

I have my PS3 160gb slim model hard linked and I tried the wifi and I haven't had any problems at all.

All in all the PS3 is an excellent console with exclusive tiles like Killzone 3 and Socom 4 to name a couple. The graphics are sharp using the Bluray technology. The online is free, but it could be better as far as performance.

My cons about the PS3 are:

No cross game chat/party chat

No voice messages.

These are things I've come to love playing the Xbox and wish they would be implemented on the PSN. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

May 21, 2011

Actually that is incorrect.  The newer Slim models can play PS1 games.  Just not PS2 games.  My PS3 160gb Slim plays PS1 games and I bought it new earlier this year.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

May 21, 2011

Thank you all for commenting and sharing what you have experianced with the systems! :3

@dosel123:

Is that an option within the PS3, or is it pyshical changes to the console?

@araos1:

The Slim models? I think that's the system I was talking about...Thank you for sharing!

@Max1mumXtr3m3:

Oh, then perphaps I shouldn't get a slim model... And the Phat versions only has overheating problems? Is there a way to in sure a longer life? Cleaning or something that I can do or buy to help it breathe better? *it gets pretty darn hot, around 88 or 90, where I live in the deep summer time*

Thank you guys again, for posting to give me some help! I appreicate it! :33

I'm not very PC-PS3-Memory smart, but what is the best memory storage to have that isn't over 400 dollars?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16258 posts

May 21, 2011

Magitek-Elite wrote:

Thank you all for commenting and sharing what you have experianced with the systems! :3

@dosel123:

Is that an option within the PS3, or is it pyshical changes to the console?

@araos1:

The Slim models? I think that's the system I was talking about...Thank you for sharing!

@Max1mumXtr3m3:

Oh, then perphaps I shouldn't get a slim model... And the Phat versions only has overheating problems? Is there a way to in sure a longer life? Cleaning or something that I can do or buy to help it breathe better? *it gets pretty darn hot, around 88 or 90, where I live in the deep summer time*

Thank you guys again, for posting to give me some help! I appreicate it! :33

I'm not very PC-PS3-Memory smart, but what is the best memory storage to have that isn't over 400 dollars?

If you're deciding against a slim because he said it doesn't play PS1 games I want to reitterate what araos1 saifd. All PS3s play PS1 games. They don't all play PS2 only the older "phat" ones do. As far as the thermal compound you need to open the systemup to do it. With a new slim you get a 1 year warranty so I wouldn't consider it until after that. If you're buying used you may want to do this. As for the other problems you listed I have both a 60g Phatty and a 120g slim neither have had any problems and I haven't changed thermal paste on either yet.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23667 posts

May 21, 2011

Max1mumXtr3m3 wrote:

It doesn't die quickly unluss you get a system that's a lemon

The newer slim models don't play any PS1 or PS2 titles unless you find yourself an older 60 or 80gb fat model. Most of the older titles are being released in the Playstation Store anyway so it really doesn't matter.

(False. New "slim" models play PS1 games.)

The fat models had a problem with overheating, but the slim models are are a lot better with ventilation to having overheating problems.

I have my PS3 160gb slim model hard linked and I tried the wifi and I haven't had any problems at all.

All in all the PS3 is an excellent console with exclusive tiles like Killzone 3 and Socom 4 to name a couple. The graphics are sharp using the Bluray technology. The online is free, but it could be better as far as performance.

My cons about the PS3 are:

No cross game chat/party chat

No voice messages.

These are things I've come to love playing the Xbox and wish they would be implemented on the PSN. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

May 21, 2011

Magitek-Elite wrote:

Hello community!

I am looking to buy a PS3, but I would like to know about the PROS and CONs of the PS3 system (and only that xD).

Here is what I have heard is wrong with it:

Dies very quickly.

Doesn't play a lot of PS1 games

Gets overheated too quick and gets the blue/yellow ring of death

Has Wifi Problems & Internet problems

Is difficult to set up Internet

I have heard a lot of good things about it, like games, updates, system performance, online play, servers and more. But if you know of any PROS and CONs, please share them with me

Thank you very much for reading,

Magitek~

Not really. I still have my Phat PS3 80 GB (CECHL01). It works, except the Blu-Ray is dead, but I can still play Hard Drive Games. The most common thing to fail on the PS3 is the laser.

Every PS3 model can play PS1 games, except It can't play PS2 games. In order to play that, you have to get a earlier model of the PS3.

The Slim's CPU is a 45nm. It will not require a lot of power, thus lowering the heat dissipation. To prevent your PS3 from overheating, put it somewhere open where air can flow. Clean the vents every month or so. The YLOD is Hardware Failure and can happen at anytime.

There are no Wi-Fi or Internet issues what so ever on the PS3. That really depends on your Network Configuration. The setup is fairly simple. You can choose the "EASY" method and you will be connected in no time. If your a tech savy, you may want to go with the advanced Settings. There are more options you can do there. Such as, setting up a static IP Address, DNS server, etc; I used that option.

If you do have a Router, you may want to Port Forward the PS3 to Playstation Network. That way, you won't have connection problems. It's not manditory to Port Forward, but If your having issues with certain PSN services such as, Online Gaming, Voice Chat, etc; you may want to have that. If you do need the TCP and UDP Protocols, Its right below this reply.

TCP: 80,443,5223

UDP: 3478,3479

I cannot provide the steps to do this, as It depends on who made your Router. Google it and you can figure out how to Port Forward in your Router.

I hope this helped.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 21, 2011

The CONS

Really can't think of any that aren't personal pet peeves (ie enhancements of current features.)

The Pros

It's Black and Shiny

It plays some kickash games

Controllers feel comfortable

Bluetooth headset works perfect

Perfect fitting, lightweight keypad that attaches to controller.

Easy rechargeable devices

Great work PD so far, keep the DLC coming!

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 62 (1,735 Views)
0 Likes