Feb 01 2014
By: LegoGuru2000 First Son 4 posts

PS3 Options When The Blu-Ray Disc Drive Does Not Work

[ Edited ]
5 replies 1070 views Edited Feb 13, 2014

What are my options if my PS3's Blu-Ray disc drive does not work?  For example can I still play games downloaded from the PlayStation Network such as those you can play for free with a PSN Plus membership?

BACKGROUND: I'm one of the many who were hit with the defective Disc drive issue that plagued the PS3 during its first year of release.  I'm on my 2nd PS3 with this same disc drive issue and I don;t have $100 to replace it.  SO what options do I have for the PS3 if the Disc Drive does not work?

Thanks

Edit: Updated label. Please click here to learn more about labels. -Super_Nova2k13

Message 1 of 6 (1,070 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28833 posts

Re: PS3 Options When The Blu-Ray Disc Drive Does Not Work

Feb 1, 2014

LegoGuru2000 wrote:

What are my options if my PS3's Blu-Ray disc drive does not work?  For example can I still play games downloaded from the PlayStation Network such as those you can play for free with a PSN Plus membership?

(Yes, it doesn't matter if the Blu Ray drive works or not to play a downloaded game)

BACKGROUND: I'm one of the many who were hit with the defective Disc drive issue that plagued the PS3 during its first year of release.  I'm on my 2nd PS3 with this same disc drive issue and I don;t have $100 to replace it.  SO what options do I have for the PS3 if the Disc Drive does not work?

(I'm having trouble with this one. You say the drive is "defective" but it's a "first year" model? If that's the case, the drive isn't defective, it's just broken. You might want pick up new console at some point. I know you don't want to part with it, but it's almost eight years old. Most people don't even have toasters that age) 

Thanks

Message 2 of 6 (1,064 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
290 posts

Feb 1, 2014
options are limited as parts that old are hard to find so self repairs my not be feasible. I have a PS3 Slim and my Blu-Ray laser went out so i bought a new laser and replaced it myself for less than $50 but you may not have that option available to you bro. buy a PS3 Slim or Super Slim and problem will be solved do a backup of your old PS3 then restore it to the new one re download you ames and you are set
Message 3 of 6 (1,055 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 1, 2014

@CaptainAlbator Thanks for the quick reply but it is one of the first ones.  The thing has ben sitting on my shelv unused for several years.  The first PS3 (280GB) disc drive broke back in 2007/2008 and the second PS3 (the 40GB one) broke about 14 months later.  That 40GB one has ben beside my TV in my media room for years. I got an xbox 360 and swore off SOny because of how I felt being screwed over by them after 2 consecutive PS3's broke the same way.  Now that so many good games are free with a PSN Plus mebership I decided to revisit this.

Message 4 of 6 (1,049 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Feb 1, 2014

Thanks for the tip.  I've considered trying to get it fixed but I've heard its at least $100 and after going through 2 PS3's and each coming down with a broek disc drive I've been hesitatnt to gove SOny any more of my bussiness. 

Thankx

Message 5 of 6 (1,046 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Feb 1, 2014
Easiest way is just switch to digital gaming. Its what ive done with my ps3.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 6 of 6 (1,034 Views)
0 Likes