Search instead for 
Do you mean 
May 20 2005
By: Anddo Keyblade Wielder 10840 posts

PS3 ONLINE

12 replies 2 views Edited May 20, 2005
Did anyone catch this?

ONLINE IS IN THE DNA OF THE PS3

And Sony's PS3 killer online service will be alive from day 1.

Look here:

Eurogamer Online is one area where, without a doubt, Microsoft did get it rather more right than Sony last generation - Xbox Live being a much more comprehensive worldwide service than what Sony rolled out...

Phil Harrison: But more people play online games on a PlayStation 2 than on any other game console.

Eurogamer: Right, but then a lot more people own PlayStation 2s than any other game console.

Phil Harrison: Yeah, but it is something that is worth pointing out - although, personally I have a great deal of respect for what Microsoft has done with Live, and I think they've got a lot of it right.

Eurogamer: Can we expect to see Sony really working to catch up in that department on PS3?

Phil Harrison: I think that philosophically, PlayStation 2's online offering is an add-on to the hardware and software and operating system. In PlayStation 3, online is part of the DNA of the machine - in fact, the Cell processor itself is designed from the ground up to be connected to a broadband network.

So from switch on, day one of the machine, network functionality will pervade every aspect of the machine. We talked a little bit about that at the conference, but there's a lot more detail to go into about some of the really cool things - like, if your PS3 is switched on at home, it can be a media server to your PSP on the other side of the planet. Now that is incredibly cool. I could sit here in LA and navigate the data which is stored on my PS3, and download music and other data off my PS3, onto my PSP.

Eurogamer: Phil Harrison, thank you very much for your time.

Phil Harrison: Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Re: PS3 ONLINE

May 20, 2005
yes but is online for the ps3 free? thats the question. thats y i dont have xbox live. i just play on my ps2 for free.....well pay for regular fee for being on the net. but nothing extra ya know. ,
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2497 posts

May 20, 2005
cool info.....hopefully more info will be revealed tommorrow at E3, i know hey mentioned a little info in the conference but didn't go any further than that.,
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

May 20, 2005

,civicsi94 wrote:
yes but is online for the ps3 free? thats the question. thats y i dont have xbox live. i just play on my ps2 for free.....well pay for regular fee for being on the net. but nothing extra ya know. ,

Good question, but what if it is free and offers things like a friends list and in-game invites? Those two features alone would make it worth it.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2497 posts

May 20, 2005

,civicsi94 wrote:

I think it's safe to say that it'll be pay to play, unless sony has to 2 diffeent online services planned......who knows..,
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

May 20, 2005
plus since u can play ps2 games on the ps3. what about ps2 games u can play online. ya know. it was free on the ps2 now u gotta pay to play ur ps2 games?,
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
829 posts

May 20, 2005

So from switch on, day one of the machine, network functionality will,pervade every aspect of the machine. We talked a little bit about that,at the conference, but there's a lot more detail to go into about some,of the really cool things - like, if your PS3 is switched on at home,,it can be a media server to your PSP on the other side of the planet.,Now that is incredibly cool. I could sit here in LA and navigate the,data which is stored on my PS3, and download music and other data off,my PS3, onto my PSP.

Wow, I gotta get myself a PSP. That'll be COOL........
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10840 posts

May 20, 2005

,civicsi94 wrote:
plus since u can play ps2 games on the ps3. what about ps2 games u can play online. ya know. it was free on the ps2 now u gotta pay to play ur ps2 games? ,

Another good question, I would think games like Socom 2 will remain free,

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8788 posts

May 20, 2005

,garnett215 wrote:

,civicsi94 wrote:

Good question, but what if it is free and offers things like a friends list and in-game invites? Those two features alone would make it worth it.

i agree, but if its not free, i quit WoW and play ps3 =) ,
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

May 20, 2005
i like change but fear its results and how it effects other things ya know.,
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (2 Views)