Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Re: PS3 Not reading Blu Ray discs...

Feb 14, 2011

It sounds like if you took it apart and cleaned the lens it would work, no need to spend any more cash on a bluray drive. It is doing the same thing mine did. I also did some preventive maintenance, took the fan out, cleaned it, it now runs as if it was brand new. It was suprisingly simple...

Message 11 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Feb 15, 2011

josmil wrote:

It has to be the same model blu-ray drive that you have in ur ps3 right now. So to answer your question about the 2010 drive then no.

Ah ok. I don't know what the model of the Blu-Ray drive on my current PS3. I thought that the 2010 version and 2008 are the same, except a bigger storage?

Message 12 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Feb 15, 2011

D3ATH77 wrote:

It sounds like if you took it apart and cleaned the lens it would work, no need to spend any more cash on a bluray drive. It is doing the same thing mine did. I also did some preventive maintenance, took the fan out, cleaned it, it now runs as if it was brand new. It was suprisingly simple...

No. I haven't took it apart. The only thing that worries me is the connectors especially the ribbon cables. And I'm currently looking for someone to repair my PS3 for a good price. If its like $100, I'll just buy a new system.

Just in case, If my PS3 is fixed, how do I prevent the Blu-Ray drive from failing the second time? And how long is their life span?

Message 13 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Feb 15, 2011

If the PS3 does play DVD's and CD's, its NOT the motor. The same drive mechanism is used to spin any disc put into the system.

That most likely narrows it down to the BD diode being either dirty (happens) or faulty (happens).  You can easily source parts on ebay if you want to go that route. Figure out exactly which sku ps3 you have on the customer service part of this site (it will help you narrow everything down by entering numbers on the back of your PS3), then use that information to find the parts. The only 'easy' way for you to do it is to most likely just buy a used BD/DVD/CD drive as one entire part, and install it. Anything beyond that would be pretty complex, unless you are in to that sort of thing.  Not all PS3's have the same drive iirc.  Definitely not slim's versus phat models.  I think Sony changed the drives a few times over the years though, even before the slim was released. So be sure and find out exactly what '08 ps3' you have.

The other option is to first try and clean the BD diode. I am not sure about where you are, but local retailers have FINALLY started to have Blu Ray disc cleaners trickle in. Its a Blu Ray that you put in your system, and it has a tiny brush on it, and will clean the laser.  They have had CD and DVD cleaners like this for years, and they always work on my laptop that is apparently a dust magnet.  I am not positive that a CD or DVD cleaner would work for this application though, as I am unsure of the diodes location relative to the CD/DVD diode inside the drive. The lasers will move to a portion of the disc where the brush is, and a CD/DVD cleaner may not move the BD diodes to the right place.

Or do whatever others said and scan youtube for DIY vidoes on cleaning the laser yourself.

Only do this stuff is you are positive you can't send the system back to Sony. Taking it apart will usually have them refuse to service it regardless of what the problem is.  So everything I recommended is based on that not being an option for you.

Message 14 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1344 posts

Feb 17, 2011

Kleptic wrote:

If the PS3 does play DVD's and CD's, its NOT the motor. The same drive mechanism is used to spin any disc put into the system.

That most likely narrows it down to the BD diode being either dirty (happens) or faulty (happens).  You can easily source parts on ebay if you want to go that route. Figure out exactly which sku ps3 you have on the customer service part of this site (it will help you narrow everything down by entering numbers on the back of your PS3), then use that information to find the parts. The only 'easy' way for you to do it is to most likely just buy a used BD/DVD/CD drive as one entire part, and install it. Anything beyond that would be pretty complex, unless you are in to that sort of thing.  Not all PS3's have the same drive iirc.  Definitely not slim's versus phat models.  I think Sony changed the drives a few times over the years though, even before the slim was released. So be sure and find out exactly what '08 ps3' you have.

The other option is to first try and clean the BD diode. I am not sure about where you are, but local retailers have FINALLY started to have Blu Ray disc cleaners trickle in. Its a Blu Ray that you put in your system, and it has a tiny brush on it, and will clean the laser.  They have had CD and DVD cleaners like this for years, and they always work on my laptop that is apparently a dust magnet.  I am not positive that a CD or DVD cleaner would work for this application though, as I am unsure of the diodes location relative to the CD/DVD diode inside the drive. The lasers will move to a portion of the disc where the brush is, and a CD/DVD cleaner may not move the BD diodes to the right place.

Or do whatever others said and scan youtube for DIY vidoes on cleaning the laser yourself.

Only do this stuff is you are positive you can't send the system back to Sony. Taking it apart will usually have them refuse to service it regardless of what the problem is.  So everything I recommended is based on that not being an option for you.

Do you know any cheap (good price) Blu-Ray disc cleaner? is it going to work? I mean, the PS3 itself can't read Blu-Ray discs and how exactly is using a Blu-Ray disc cleaner gonna work?

Message 15 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 29, 2012

I am having this same exact problem. I believe I have a second generation PS3, a year after release, (2007) mine was manufactured in Sept. 2008 and I purchased it in Nov. 2008, 80GB big boy before the slims. First off I'll say I take good care of the things I spend my money on. It has never fallen to the floor, its not cracked or even scratched. I had it for exactly 3Yrs, and it started making a really loud noise while I played. I noticed and was a bit concerned but at least I could still play. Today for the first time ever It won't read a game. I was playing 1 game and I wanted to play another so I quit game from XMB like I always do, i ejected the game, put in the other and it didn't start (I have disc auto-start enabled) after about 1 second, no matter what disc I insert it will start playing. Not this time. I checked the XMB for the game disc so I could simply hit x and start playing. there was no little blue disc. I put in a cd and it played instantly. I put it a dvd and it started instantly. tried the game again, nothing. Tried another game, nothing. I tried ALL of my games, nothing. I concluded that my BLU RAY eye is either dirty or damaged. I'll remind you, my oldest games look like i just bought them, no smudges or scratches. I'm gonna take my unit apart, and clean it all out I'm looking forward to this I'll let u guys know how it goes. I'm confident with my own technical skills and ability to follow directions.

ace

Message 16 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Jan 29, 2012

Try a Q-tip + rubbing alcohol for cleaning the lens. If no luck, just buy a new laser (KES-410A probably for your model) online and replace it. Pretty straightforward tutorials on YouTube.

Message 17 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Jan 29, 2012

It is most definitely the blu-ray diode. the only way to fix that, and the best way, is to replace the laser unit itself.

Since you mention you have a non-MGS 80Gb, you have the CECHE01 model PS3 correct? (You can find out by looking at the back of the PS3 for a long barcode that has the serial number as it also contains the SKU/Model number (CECHxxxx)

You'll need the KES-400A laser NOT the 400AAA.

The laser is VERY easy to replace and should only take about 15minutes tops.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 18 of 18 (218 Views)
0 Likes