First Son
1 posts

Re: PS3 - No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays - Playstation 3

Dec 6, 2012
just check that today with the same problem no 7.1 TrueHD on 3D with ps3 and I have 2 PS3 and 2 3D TVs a onkyo and Denon receivers I just got them like 3 months ago I'm really **bleep** that I can't enjoy a movie on the 3D :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 28 (546 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 3, 2013
I called Sony on this issue and the supervisor understood my issue but stated that th don't tell him about firmware updates and are not sure if they are working on a patch for true HD audio support while playing 3d but said he would pass it up the chain and that I was. It the first person to call on the issue. Not sure what to do now on my part but I'm **bleep** I don't even want to open my transformers and I ruined finding nemo for my family because I'm a nut and kept trying fix the audio while watching because my 818 was displaying lossy DD. looks like an excuse to get an oppo 103 but I really want Sony to fix this if not then I'm done with them. If anyone has any ideas on how to put pressure on Sony let me know. I'm about to go to amazon and write a 1 star.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 28 (510 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

Jan 3, 2013

ADBL_RR_516 wrote:
I called Sony on this issue and the supervisor understood my issue but stated that th don't tell him about firmware updates and are not sure if they are working on a patch for true HD audio support while playing 3d but said he would pass it up the chain and that I was. It the first person to call on the issue. Not sure what to do now on my part but I'm **bleep** I don't even want to open my transformers and I ruined finding nemo for my family because I'm a nut and kept trying fix the audio while watching because my 818 was displaying lossy DD. looks like an excuse to get an oppo 103 but I really want Sony to fix this if not then I'm done with them. If anyone has any ideas on how to put pressure on Sony let me know. I'm about to go to amazon and write a 1 star.

Really? Everyone in your familty is an audiphile, even children?

Whats wrong with just letting the audio run on 5.1? Your 7.1 will still work, just your two left and right speakers will output the same sound as the front speakers, or they will not output anything. 
In a large room, with the volume loud enough, you're not going to notice much of a difference between 5.1 and 7.1 regardless.

I have a $7k 7.2 setup, and I feel its wasted money because even with using lossless formats, I don't tell much of a difference from my old 5.1 setup, especially when the audio is calibrated.

Unless you have golden ears, you will barely notice a difference.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 28 (506 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 5, 2013

Had this same exact issue when playing back Monsters Inc. 3D tonigt !!! Only DD not TureHD audio playback. I really hope Sony comes up with a patch that addresses this.

I will be calling them tomorrow to complain and hoping if more people do we can get a firmware upgrade to fix this.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 28 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 2, 2013

I found the solution.....I realized that SONY sucks and they are never going to resolve the problem in spite of the fact that they easily could. My solution - I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT220CP Blu-ray player on sale for $79 and now have Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless audio during 3D Blu-ray playback....not to mention a spectacular and far superior Blu-ray image quality on both 3D and 2D Blu-rays. I highly recommend the player to anyone frustrated with the PS3's never to be resolved 3D Blu-ray audio shortcomings.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 28 (376 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

May 2, 2013

Well, I read all the post here and while I myself don't have a PS3 I do have a 7.1 HT system myself and a Sony Blueray Player. The problem could be your Receiver codecs, your connection cable HDMI or the PS3 codecs themselves. I cannot give you a solution to the problem but I could suggest you try a few things. Personally, I dislike using the HDMI cables for sound, call me "old school" (LOL) but I still prefer using the Optical port for sound and the HDMI for Video only. You could try plugging in your PS3 via optical cable to your HT receiver and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't make sure your receiver is set up to automatically detect the codecs and make sure it supports the codecs used by that specific blueray for 7.1 sound. If all of that is ok, then I would assume it's a PS3 codec problem, however that would be the last place I would check. If it is a PS3 codec problem then I suggest you simply manually set your receiver to 5.1 (disable the extra two speakers) and make sure the blueray is also set for 5.1. Enjoy your movie in 5.1 as it will still sound better than 5.1 converted to 7.1.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 28 (371 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
30 posts

May 2, 2013
Also you are completely right about the PS3 having subpar Blueray playback. That's why I didn't buy one and instead bought a Blueray Player.
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 28 (370 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15006 posts

May 2, 2013

starfighterpilot wrote:

I found the solution.....I realized that SONY sucks and they are never going to resolve the problem in spite of the fact that they easily could. My solution - I purchased a Panasonic DMP-BDT220CP Blu-ray player on sale for $79 and now have Dolby TrueHD 7.1 lossless audio during 3D Blu-ray playback....not to mention a spectacular and far superior Blu-ray image quality on both 3D and 2D Blu-rays. I highly recommend the player to anyone frustrated with the PS3's never to be resolved 3D Blu-ray audio shortcomings.

Considering the PS3 is a first generation Blu-Ray hardware spec.... thats pretty much what happens....

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 28 (362 Views)
0 Likes