Nov 13 2012
By: starfighterpilot First Son 9 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 - No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays - Playstation 3

[ Edited ]
27 replies 3748 views Edited Nov 16, 2012

I have recently discovered that the Playstation 3 (slim) cannot process or output Dolby True HD audio when playing 3D Blu-rays.  I did not notice this at first because the majority of 3D blu-ray titles use DTS-Master 5.1 and 7.1 Audio for the sound encoding. The PS3 has no problem  playing DTS-Master 7.1 audio on 3D Blu-ray discs, only on 3D Blu-ray discs with Dolby TrueHD audio.  It plays regular 2D Blu-rays with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Audio and DTS-Master audio 7.1 just fine. When trying to watch 3D Blu-rays of Transformers: Dark side of the moon, Madagascar 3, Megamind, and most of the Dreamworks 3D animation catalog (all of which are encoded with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Audio) the audio is output as standard lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital.

After doing a bit of research I discovered that this is a universal problem affecting all PS3 console users attempting to watch 3D Blu-ray movies encoded with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio. With more and more 3D Blu-ray movies using Dolby TrueHD sound encoding, this is going to become a big issue. Upcoming Disney releases of Brave 3D, Finding Nemo 3D, and Up 3D are all going to have Dolby TrueHD audio and thus the HD Audio on the 3D Blu-rays will not be able to be heard if these movies are watched on a Playstation 3 console.

I contacted playstation customer service about this issue (which again is widely reported on the internet) and they denied the problem existed. I even spoke to a customer service supervisor who again insisted that the problem does not exist and that I was the first person who had ever mentioned it. Please post if you are having this issue - and better yet - please contact customer service. This issue will never be resolved unless many people protest it. I know I am not the only person that uses their Playstation 3 as the main Blu-ray movie player in their 7.1 home theater set-up with their 3D TV. If Sony can come up with a firmware update to allow DTS-Master 7.1 audio to play on 3D Blu-rays, they should also be able to come up with a firmware update to allow Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio to play on 3D Blu-rays as well. Please post if you are experiencing this issue.

Added note.....for those who will undoubtedly  ask…yes I am using a high speed 1.4 HDMI cable and yes, my receiver is a modern 3D processing receiver (Pioneer vsx-1121-k), and yes all the HDMI and audio settings in the PS3 are properly set. This is not a connectivity or settings issue. This is a firmware issue in regard to the PS3’s inability to play back Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio on 3D blu-rays.

Message 1 of 28 (3,748 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16326 posts

Re: No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays

Nov 13, 2012

Are you connected via HDMI? 

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 2 of 28 (3,741 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 13, 2012

Problem you are experiencing is indeed not a Problem... Sony bought the rights to Blu Ray from what I understand, & they wouldn't let anyone else have it... So if you own a Blu Ray movie thats not a Sony movie, you'll need both a Blu Ray Player & TV thats made by the same company of that Movie... 

Anotherwards, if you want 7.1 True HD Dolby Didgetal 3-D Surround Sound... 

You need a Sony Blu Ray 3-D Movie that supports it... 

Other wise, you'll run into Coding Problems... 

------------ 

Or at least this is from what I understand... 

It's not a Sony Movie, so you can't ask Sony to fix the Problem for a Movie thats not even theirs... 

------------ 

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty possitive that is the case... That you are experiencing... 

P. S.: Just curious, but is your HDMI Cable a 3-D HDMI Cable? 

The cord you are using might not be fitted for 3-D... Have you thought of that? 

HDMI 1.4 with 3-D Support is what you Need, I believe...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 3 of 28 (3,730 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 13, 2012

Yes of course. High speed 1.4 HDMI.

This is not a connectivity or a audio settings issue. This is a firmware issue in regard to the inability of the PS3 to process Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio when playing back a 3D Blu-ray encoded with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 audio.

Message 4 of 28 (3,729 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 13, 2012

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Problem you are experiencing is indeed not a Problem... Sony bought the rights to Blu Ray from what I understand, & they wouldn't let anyone else have it... So if you own a Blu Ray movie thats not a Sony movie, you'll need both a Blu Ray Player & TV thats made by the same company of that Movie... 

Anotherwards, if you want 7.1 True HD Dolby Didgetal 3-D Surround Sound... 

You need a Sony Blu Ray 3-D Movie that supports it... 

Other wise, you'll run into Coding Problems... 

------------ 

Or at least this is from what I understand... 

It's not a Sony Movie, so you can't ask Sony to fix the Problem for a Movie thats not even theirs... 

------------ 

I could be wrong, but i'm pretty possitive that is the case... That you are experiencing... 

None of these statements you made in regard to my post are true or accurate. It is best not to post comments on things you do not understand or have no working knowledge about. Posting innaccurate comments and false statements will only connfuse and missinform people. It is clear you do not have 3D or a 7.1 audio set up nor are you experiencing the issues that this post is about....so please do not comment on issues that you have no working knowledge of.

Message 5 of 28 (3,700 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

Nov 14, 2012

How sure are you? You said it yourself... Sony is Denying there is a Problem... 

What I was trying to say is, the Problem isn't in the PS3 it's self, the Problem is in the Blu Ray Movies... 

But again, i'll say it for a second time, I never said I was 100% Posstitive this was the Case... I was just saying it's a possibility...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 28 (3,666 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4837 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

PS3™ System Software Update 3.50

Blu-ray 3D™ disc playback

When Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
When DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.

PS3™ System Software Update 3.70

3D playback* of Blu-ray Java™ ("BD-J") content is now supported. You can now enjoy BD-J content recorded on Blu-ray 3D™ discs.
DTS-HD audio output is now supported while playing Blu-ray 3D™ content*. 

Due to The limits of the PS3 generation HDMI chip which is still only HDMI 1.3. Only HD bit stream audio that can be used During 3D BD is DTS HD. Dolby True audio is stripped to the Basic dolby digital 5.1 core signal.

Dolby true remains blocked...

DTS HD is not blocked...        

PCM 7.1 is not blocked... 

Message 7 of 28 (3,663 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4391 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

GraphiteGB wrote:

PS3™ System Software Update 3.50

Blu-ray 3D™ disc playback

When Dolby TrueHD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in Dolby Digital during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.
When DTS-HD is selected as the audio format, audio will be output in DTS during playback of Blu-ray 3D™ content.

PS3™ System Software Update 3.70

3D playback* of Blu-ray Java™ ("BD-J") content is now supported. You can now enjoy BD-J content recorded on Blu-ray 3D™ discs.
DTS-HD audio output is now supported while playing Blu-ray 3D™ content*. 

Due to The limits of the PS3 generation HDMI chip which is still only HDMI 1.3. Only HD bit stream audio that can be used During 3D BD is DTS HD. Dolby True audio is stripped to the Basic dolby digital 5.1 core signal.

Dolby true remains blocked...

DTS HD is not blocked...        

PCM 7.1 is not blocked... 

If I may ask, from what source did you get this information?  I don't doubt you, I'm just curious as to where this was.

Be One With The Game.

Message 8 of 28 (3,650 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1739 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

Actually, I got my PS3 before this was even put on the Slim, so I can't prove that it works or not, even if I had a 3-D TV, the Speakers, & a 3D BD Movie with it Supported... My PS3 aparently doesn't Suport it... 

Thing is, Sony is a Company of which Promotes all these great ideas for their PS3, but they never Deliver what they Promote... 

And if they do Deliver what they Promote, I can Assure it won't last Very long... 

They like to change everything so Frequently, Dropping all the Features that made it so Great, for no Reason... 

It does not Suprise me Dolby True HD 7.1 does not work on a PS3 Slim or whatever it is thats not working... 

I remember when 1080P Games & Six Axis was big, & now you barely see either being used at all, if any at all... 

By the way, unless everything you own is owned by Sony, or is a Sony Brand, how you really can't tell me that is not the problem... 

Because you never tested out what I even said, in the first place... 

Sony 3-D TV, Sony Surround Speakers, Sony HDMI Cord, & such, & such... 

but by all means you can keep claiming that it is the Console it's self, & that it was Bricked, because of what someone else has written... 

I'm not doubting your issues, i'm not saying your lying, or that you are wrong, i'm just giving you a possibility...

Playstation 4
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 9 of 28 (3,647 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 14, 2012

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

How sure are you? You said it yourself... Sony is Denying there is a Problem... 

What I was trying to say is, the Problem isn't in the PS3 it's self, the Problem is in the Blu Ray Movies... 

But again, i'll say it for a second time, I never said I was 100% Posstitive this was the Case... I was just saying it's a possibility...

Your statement is not true or accurate. The problem being discussed is in the PS3.

Again -  It is best not to post comments on things you do not understand or have no working knowledge about. Posting inaccurate comments and false statements will only confuse and misinform people. It is clear you do not have 3D or a 7.1 audio set up nor are you experiencing the issues that this post is about....so please do not comment on issues that you have no working knowledge of.

Message 10 of 28 (3,639 Views)
0 Likes