Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
9 posts

Re: No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays

Nov 14, 2012

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Actually, I got my PS3 before this was even put on the Slim, so I can't prove that it works or not, even if I had a 3-D TV, the Speakers, & a 3D BD Movie with it Supported... My PS3 aparently doesn't Suport it... 

Thing is, Sony is a Company of which Promotes all these great ideas for their PS3, but they never Deliver what they Promote... 

And if they do Deliver what they Promote, I can Assure it won't last Very long... 

They like to change everything so Frequently, Dropping all the Features that made it so Great, for no Reason... 

It does not Suprise me Dolby True HD 7.1 does not work on a PS3 Slim or whatever it is thats not working... 

I remember when 1080P Games & Six Axis was big, & now you barely see either being used at all, if any at all... 

By the way, unless everything you own is owned by Sony, or is a Sony Brand, how you really can't tell me that is not the problem... 

Because you never tested out what I even said, in the first place... 

Sony 3-D TV, Sony Surround Speakers, Sony HDMI Cord, & such, & such... 

but by all means you can keep claiming that it is the Console it's self, & that it was Bricked, because of what someone else has written... 

I'm not doubting your issues, i'm not saying your lying, or that you are wrong, i'm just giving you a possibility...

PLEASE STOP POSTING IN THIS THREADS DISCUSSION.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Consumer electronic products do not need to all be from the same manufacturer to work - that statement is of sheer ignorance.

Posting inaccurate comments and false statements will only confuse and misinform people.

It is clear you do not have 3D or a 7.1 audio set up nor are you experiencing the issues (NO DOLBY TRUEHD 7.1 AUDIO PLAYBACK ON 3D BLU-RAY DISCS) that this post is about....so please do not comment on issues that you have no knowledge of.

Message 11 of 28 (1,114 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3861 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/history/index.htm#update350

Firmware update history Logs were Every body sould go after doing a google search and before asking on the forum...

If PS3 has this or if PS3 has that...

Google is your friend, not the enermy...  

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 12 of 28 (1,109 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Will Sony spend the money to develop a firmware update for the Playstation 3 that will allow Dolby TrueHD audio to play on 3D Blu-Rays is the question?

Yes the problem is a hardware issue. But there have been many hardware limitations on the PS3 that Sony was able to develop software (firmware update) workarounds for.  Initially any type of 3D playback was not possible because of hardware (HDMI) limitations, and then Sony developed a software workaround. This was at the expense of Java based menus and HD audio of both types. Then Sony developed a software workaround for these limitations as well, at least for the inclusion on Java based menus and DTS-Master audio on 3D Blu-rays (for the PS3 slim anyway).

My understanding is that Dolby TrueHD requires less CPU processing power than DTS-Master audio does. So it seems logical that Sony could also develop a firmware update that allows Dolby TrueHD processing on 3D Blu-rays as well.

Dolby TrueHD of course already works on 2D Blu-rays. I’m assuming that with 3D Blu-rays having almost the entire catalog use DTS-Master audio with only a handful of 3D titles using Dolby TrueHD, it has not been a priority for Sony to spend the additional money to develop the firmware. That is about to change with Disney now suddenly switching to Dolby TrueHD for all of its current and future 3D Blu-ray releases. Disney’s new titles added with all of the Dreamworks 3D Blu-ray titles are starting add up to a lot of 3D movies with no HD audio on the PS3.

The more people that express their displeasure with this fact to Sony, the more likely they will be interested in creating a firmware update to resolve the problem. I suggest anyone frustrated with the PS3's inability to play back Dolby TrueHD audio on 3D Blu-rays contact Sony customer service at 1-800-345-7669. Go through the promps until reaching technical support and then ask to speak to a supervisor.

Message 13 of 28 (1,102 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 14, 2012
I don't think contacting PlayStation customer service is the best option, from my experience they are only skilled on basic technical skills.

I suggest you contact the Mod Joystick_Warrior about this, and also put your issue up on PlayStation Blog.share...
Message 14 of 28 (1,097 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3861 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

All lossless audio no matter DTS/Dolby can be decoded by the PS3 into PCM 7.1. All 7.1 amps are required to support PCM 7.1...

So yes Bitstream audio has never been a rush requirement.

With the sound codec war going on between publishers and even amp makers PCM 7.1 has remained the choice for most users any way.

The FAT PS3 did not even support HD audio Bitstream on 2D BD either, its HDMI chip had real problems... with HD audio.. unlike the slim that supported Bitstream from 2D BDs from day 1...

PLEX APP for PS3 and PS4... free version coming soon...
NO NEED For DLNA...
Message 15 of 28 (1,095 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Nov 14, 2012

GraphiteGB wrote:

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/history/index.htm#update350

Firmware update history Logs were Every body sould go after doing a google search and before asking on the forum...

If PS3 has this or if PS3 has that...

Google is your friend, not the enermy...  

That's what I thought.

Given the fact that this issue is documented on Sony's own support website, does no one find it rather stupid that their own Tech support people have no such knowledge of this problem and are claiming that it does not exist?

Be One With The Game.

Message 16 of 28 (1,092 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 15, 2012

GraphiteGB wrote:

All lossless audio no matter DTS/Dolby can be decoded by the PS3 into PCM 7.1. All 7.1 amps are required to support PCM 7.1...

So yes Bitstream audio has never been a rush requirement.

With the sound codec war going on between publishers and even amp makers PCM 7.1 has remained the choice for most users any way.

The FAT PS3 did not even support HD audio Bitstream on 2D BD either, its HDMI chip had real problems... with HD audio.. unlike the slim that supported Bitstream from 2D BDs from day 1...

Actually, that is only partially correct. You said “All lossless audio no matter DTS/Dolby can be decoded by the PS3 into PCM 7.1. All 7.1 amps are required to support PCM 7.1”

This statement is true for 2D Blu-rays – but not all 3D blu-rays.

3D Blu-rays that have DTS – Master audio 5.1 or 7.1 can be decoded by the PS3 to output either 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM (the number of channels mirroring whether the source material  is 5.1 or 7.1) This will indeed maintain the lossless audio quality of the DTS-Master audio and merely output it as LPCM instead of the native DTS-Master audio Bitstream that your A/V receiver decodes. So this part you are correct about. The lossless DTS-Master audio will be converted to lossless LPCM. (This is of course assuming that in the BD audio settings under "VIDEO SETTINGS" and then "BD/DVD - Audio Output Format (HDMI)" is selected to Linear PCM (converted) output not to Bitstream (native disc audio encoding stream) output.

3D Blu-rays that have Dolby TrueHD audio CANNOT be decoded by the PS3 into lossless LPCM. On these 3D Blu-rays the PS3 can only process the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 core of the Dolby TrueHD audio. It then takes the lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 audio and coverts it to lossy LPCM 5.1 audio. There is no upconvertion to lossless audio. It is merely a LPCM 5.1 representation of the lossy  dolby Digital 5.1.

There is no 7.1 LPCM audio derived from a 7.1 Dolby True HD audio track. The extra channels are lost in the PS3’s inability to process anything beyond the Dolby TrueHD’s 5.1 Dolby Digital core.

This is the problem. There is no lossless audio for 3D Blu-rays that have Dolby TrueHD audio. There is also no 7.1 audio on any 3D Blu-ray with Dolby TrueHD audio. Regardless of the output being Bitstream (native) or LPCM (converted), any 7.1 Dolby TrueHD audio on any 3D blu-ray disc will only be heard as 5.1 Dolby Digital.

So it is not just an issue of  lossless vs. lossy, it is a matter of loosing 2 channels of audio and never being able to hear or enjoy a 3D Blu-ray with a 7.1 soundtrack if the disc’s audio is encoded with Dolby TrueHD.

Message 17 of 28 (1,080 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: PS3 - No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays - Playstation 3

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

I contacted Dolby about this issue of the Playstation 3 (slim)  not being able to playback Dolby TrueHD audio on 3D Blu-rays and they said this in the reply:

Hi .....-

Thank you for your email. The Sony PlayStation 3 was one of the first Blu-ray players to offer lossless Dolby TrueHD playback for Blu-ray content. As you have noted, the Sony PS3 does not support Dolby TrueHD audio for playback on 3D titles. This is not an issue on Sony’s other Blu-ray players. Dolby has encouraged Sony to do a firmware update to enable TrueHD functionality on 3D titles. If you have any additional questions we recommend contacting Sony.

Best-

The Dolby Game Team

The suggestion clearly is that the PS3 (slim at least)  "should" be capable with a firmware update.

Sony needs to develope and release a firmware update that will allow the decoding of TrueHD audio on 3D Blu-rays.  Then they will  will honestly be able to say "It only does everything"

Message 18 of 28 (1,045 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Re: PS3 - No Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on 3D Blu-rays - Playstation 3

Nov 20, 2012

This is not a hardware issue. This is a firmware issue. it'll probably be fixed sometime. In the meantime it's not a very worth while problem to worry about.

Message 19 of 28 (1,031 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

GuRuAsaki2098 wrote:

Sony bought the rights to Blu Ray from what I understand

They invented blu-ray :smileyhappy:

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 20 of 28 (991 Views)
0 Likes