Feb 10 2013
By: mjkerpan First Son 1 posts

PS3 Newbie Questions

1 replies 59 views Edited Feb 10, 2013

My father has decided to get a PS3 so that he can play Ni no Kuni (he's a huge Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli fan) and as I will probably end up being his support/advice person, I have a few questions:

1. What are a few other good games to get? Hyperviolence isn't really his thing, so I'm looking at things like LBP, Ratchet and Clank and other things are go more for whimsy than for blood and guts...

2. I've heard that newer PS3s will not play PS2 games but WILL still play PS1 titles. Is this true?

3. Does the PS3's photo viewer/slideshow mode support camera RAW files or do they have to be cooked into JPEGs prior to display?

Message 1 of 2 (59 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40067 posts

Re: PS3 Newbie Questions

[ Edited ]
Feb 10, 2013

mjkerpan wrote:

My father has decided to get a PS3 so that he can play Ni no Kuni (he's a huge Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli fan) and as I will probably end up being his support/advice person, I have a few questions:

1. What are a few other good games to get? Hyperviolence isn't really his thing, so I'm looking at things like LBP, Ratchet and Clank and other things are go more for whimsy than for blood and guts...

LBP1 & 2 are both very good, I'm a real Sly Cooper fan, Ratchet & Clank are good too as are Jak & Daxter, when you get your PS3 go to the PlayStation Store & look at some of the games, there are a large number of Demo's there that you can download & play the game & see if you like it before buying.

2. I've heard that newer PS3s will not play PS2 games but WILL still play PS1 titles. Is this true?

Yes that's true, but PS1 games are playable. There are also a growning number of PS2 games on the PlayStation Store to download, Jak & Daxter for example was originally a PS2 game but was re-made for the PS3.

3. Does the PS3's photo viewer/slideshow mode support camera RAW files or do they have to be cooked into JPEGs prior to display?

The following formats are supported.

The following types of files can be displayed under (Photo).

• JPEG (DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21 compliant)
  • TIFF
  • BMP
  • GIF
  • PNG
  • MPO (MP format)

Lastly, welcome to the PlayStation Communty, I hope this was of assistance to you, if we can assist you further please let us know.

BRIT-KO.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 2 (44 Views)