Highlighted
Jan 07 2012
By: vnm0s1 First Son 3 posts

PS3 Memory is Full

5 replies 2602 views Edited Jan 7, 2012

Hello,

I am looking for advise and help. I own an older 80g PS3, and it is now full.

What is the best way to upgrade?

Should I buy a new larger PS3? Is it possible to sway over all my saves, dlc, and keep my name?

Or should I get a new hard drive, the will I be able to sway all my info over?

I guess my biggest questions are :

will I lose my name and trophies?

will I lose my dlc's?

All help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you

vnm0s1

***added question***

what should I use as a transfer device? can i use a computer/laptop as a temporary storage device, or do I need a usb hard drive?

Message 6 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6747 posts

Re: PS3 Memory is Full

Jan 6, 2012

Personally, I would get a new internal hard drive.  However, to do that you'd need another drive to back up to, an external HDD or other USB storage of some sort.  Some game saves are copy protected and can only be copied by the backup utility or PS+ cloud storage.  Make sure you sync your trophies before removing the old HDD.  You can use the same account and your trophies and downloads will stay the same.  You could get a new PS3 and use the data transfer utility, but that is much more expensive if your only problem is space.

Message 1 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Jan 6, 2012

I used the back up utility when I went from a 60 to a 500 gig drive. Worked fine but Jerm7 is right. Some game saves are protected and have to be transfered with the utility. make sure the last thing you do before you change out the drive is a trophy Sync.

The drive should be a 2.5 inch internal drive... they come in everything from 160gig to 1+tera so space ceases to be an issue very fast. All you DLC's and other dl's are remembered under your account information and can be redownloaded to the system. It can take a VERY long time so using the back up utility saves you a lot of time.

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 2 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 7, 2012

what should I use as a storage device to transfer the info? could I use a computer or should I also get a usb hard drive?

thank you for the info

Message 3 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Jan 7, 2012

I think you should get a new hard drive for your PS3. PS3 uses the laptop hard drives.  I upgraded my PS3's hard drive to 250 GB. I have the 60 GB PS3 and the 60 GB and 80 GB hard drives are too small.

Message 4 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Jan 7, 2012

new hard drive.

they are MUCH cheaper than buying a new PS3 altogether especially when your PS3 isnt giving you any issues.

Be aware that HDD prices are not what they used to be as the floods in Thailand(where the majority of hdds are manufactured) have cause prices to double and nearly triple.

the 500gb i bought some years ago for $80 now costs about $150.

*Edit* It seems prices have come down a bit, as the 1TB drives are around $100 and not the $160+ they used to be a few weeks ago

If you have some money, you can buy a 1Tb drive, which you should find very diffucult to fill the drive up. I have yet to fill my 500gb and it has movies, games, and music and its barely 1/2 full.

When you look for a drive, make sure it is a 2.5" internal laptop hard drive, and make sure it is 9.5mm tall. You can find the dimensions of the drives in the "specifications" tab on most websites or something to that effect.

here the link to a 1Tb that will fit in a PS3, there is another made by Samsung, but from the reviews shows is that it has more problems with DOA and deteriorating performance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136927

Furiously Chaosing
Message 5 of 6 (2,602 Views)
0 Likes