Jun 08 2007
By: RayRay1972 First Son 4 posts

PS3 & Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router

13 replies 983 views Edited Jun 8, 2007
     I recently purchased a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router to connect my PS3 to...My PCs set-up fine, but I am having alot of trouble with my PS3...After I can get my PS3 to connect wirelessly, everytime I turn on my PS3, it makes my router front panel lights turn off and disconnects my PCs from the network...after about 5 seconds, my router front panel lights come back on and my PCs reconnect to the network...This also happens whenever I run the connection test (specifically when it is testing the Playstation Network connection).  This is really hitting a nerve with my wife, especially if she is downloading something when this happens (can you feel my pain?). I've tried everything (Enabling my DMZ, Changing to Ch 11, opening ports, etc...). I've also been on the phone with Linksys Technical Support for about a combined 4 hours, and they have no idea why this is happening. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, can you please help me fix it? Thanks in advance...
Message 1 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Re: PS3 & Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router

Jun 8, 2007
Have you tried turning off the Media Server in Network settings?

I have a WRT54GS router and I don't have this problem.
Even after changing the router's firmware from the official one to TOMATO.

Currently Playing - METAL GEAR ONLINE
Message 2 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1663 posts

Jun 8, 2007
Welcome to the PSU!  Disabling the media sharing in Network Settings will correct your problem.  If you would like to use the media sharing and stay connected to the PSN, try this.

Message Edited by nlong2 on 06-08-2007 03:58 AM

Message 3 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 9, 2007
     You two are awesome...that did the trick!!! Thanks again for all of your help!
Message 4 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jun 9, 2007
I hope Sony is seeing what problems they caused with that firmware update.  I immediately began experiencing them after installing the update.  I have the exact same wireless router, never had a single issue with it at all until they did that.

Thankfully, you guys figured it out, and I saw that I needed to disable the "Media Server" thing.

Too bad we won't even be able to use a media server though. 
PSN: mcw1011
XBL: MCW07
- Add me on either service if you'd like!
Message 5 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 9, 2007
     Yeah...I agree...Sony needs to issue another update to correct this problem...Do you know if anyone has contacted Sony about the "damage" they did when they issued the last firmware update?  
Message 6 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jun 9, 2007
Hello... I have a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router connected to my computer... The only problem is, when i go onto my turn on my ps3, it says "a connection error has occured"...  and when i try to change the network settings, i don't know what information i should put in.... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!
Message 7 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
GT~
Splicer
50 posts

Jun 10, 2007

djarrett wrote:
Hello... I have a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless Router connected to my computer... The only problem is, when i go onto my turn on my ps3, it says "a connection error has occured"...  and when i try to change the network settings, i don't know what information i should put in.... PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Two questions:

1. Do you want to use Media Sharing? If so, then follow the instructions given in the link given earlier here.
2. If you do not care about media sharing, turn the setting OFF in the Settings > Network Settings part of the menus.

If it still happens, then I don't know... But I had very similar issues which were resolved when I turned Media Sharing off.
Message 8 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 11, 2007
     That was the problem I was having...Turning off the media server solved the problem for now...I just hope Sony addresses this problem...
Message 9 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 21, 2010

I was having this same type issue using the WTR54G router by Linksys. I seemed to get a connection error everytime my PS3 wanted to do a upgrade or patch of any game I tried to play that had any patches available. I also went into my router and tried some different things. I tried to turn off my firewall in the router to see if this helped. It did not. I tried assigning static IP address to my PS3. This did not work. I tried assigning specific ports for the PS3. This did not work. All this didn't make any difference rather I was using wireless or hardwired. Not really having any ideas of what to try next, the only thing I could think of was flashing my routers firmware as I did see there was some upgrades to the firmware. After I did this my problem was fixed. I then wondered what was different and why this fixed my problem so I started searching and found this forum post here. I'm thinking that media sharing was probably my issue from what everyone is saying and probably upgrading my firmware set my router back to defaults and corrected this. I can't ever remember turning on media sharing in my router but maybe it was turned on at some point in time.

Message 10 of 14 (983 Views)
0 Likes