Nov 12 2011
By: oBroithe First Son 2 posts

PS3 Keeps Shutting Down

3 replies 119 views Edited Nov 12, 2011

A few weeks ago, I was watching Netflix on my 40GB PS3 (CECHH01) when it suddenly shut down in the middle of the movie. After this, it gave me the YLOD and I proceeded to go through that fix with reflowing and applying new thermal paste to the chips. It worked right away after that, however about an hour after the first boot, it shut down again. Now it seems to do it after about 10-20 minutes of use. The machine still works fine, except it can not stay on. It is also not the YLOD any longer, just the flashing red light. Does this sound like a fan or power supply issue (or both), or perhaps something worse? If it is one of those, what are the best outlets to find replacement parts?

Message 1 of 4 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: PS3 Keeps Shutting Down

Nov 12, 2011

It is my guess that your PS3 is overheating, and that is why it is shutting down. Models like yours can be difficult to put back togeather properly, with the heatsink making firm contact with chips you put thermal paste on. I suggest you repeat the proceedure again where you take your PS3 apart, apply thermal paste, and put it back togeather again, and hopefully you will get better results...

Message 2 of 4 (119 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 13, 2011

Thanks for your help. Does your video for applying the Arctic Silver in just the small "grain of rice" bead in the center apply to all models including mine (CECHH01)?

Message 3 of 4 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Nov 13, 2011

Yes that method of applying thermal pastre works for all ps3 models.

Ps3 Is the best console, the best hardware and a much better looking console too!
Message 4 of 4 (119 Views)
0 Likes