Treasure Hunter
6405 posts

Re: PS3 Internet Speed

Dec 24, 2008

I think the issue with using speedtest with the PS3 is that the browser for the PS3 is a specialized version created just for the Sony by Access software. And depending on how it is identified in the speedtests servers then it will do its best to get a handle on the settings needed to connect and create the results for your PS3... 

The browser is a downsized version of the Netscape browser from Mozilla designed for the Sony OS(Proprietary) that is part of the PS3, it might even be redistributed version of Linux OS because if you look at the FW download file type the extension (.pup) is a linux file type at least for the updates...So it would be possible that because the Speedtest may not have a test for the PS3 OS it gets the closest it can...

Message 11 of 16 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Dec 27, 2008
Same issues here and it is really pissing me off. I have comcast blast 16mps internet, can get as high as 35mps download speeds on my laptop, if I take that same exact wire and plug it ino the PS3 and do a speed test the download speed never reaches over 3mps.....now **bleep** is that???? I just dont get it, I've tried the port forwarding, DMZ and Quality Of Service setting and nothing affects it......
Message 12 of 16 (118 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18735 posts

Dec 27, 2008

bg7503 wrote:
Same issues here and it is really pissing me off. I have comcast blast 16mps internet, can get as high as 35mps download speeds on my laptop, if I take that same exact wire and plug it ino the PS3 and do a speed test the download speed never reaches over 3mps.....now **bleep** is that???? I just dont get it, I've tried the port forwarding, DMZ and Quality Of Service setting and nothing affects it......

Have you read what I and other has said about the PS3 browser? It is not the same the browser in your computer plus the system is different. 

Something that can help you is trying to get an new up-to-date modem from comcast. That has worked for some people here. 

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 13 of 16 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 13, 2011

I have same problem with my ps3 having different speeds. But 1 thing for me is different. it wasnt always f***ed. Only recently it changed. it used 2 be exact same as my computer speeds. but then it got messed up

Message 14 of 16 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 20, 2013

the PSN servers max a 10MBS because they are free. Xbox servers are faster because you pay to conect to them.

Message 15 of 16 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
937 posts

Jan 20, 2013

AppleRyan1 wrote:

the PSN servers max a 10MBS because they are free. Xbox servers are faster because you pay to conect to them.

sweetie, the speeds are the same for each dependent on your isp and package.

the only "pay" we do on xbox is to play our online components that get locked away and xgc.

Message 16 of 16 (90 Views)
0 Likes