Dec 19 2008
By: TAE-itlogNurFace First Son 3 posts

PS3 Internet Speed

15 replies 600 views Edited Dec 19, 2008

All-

Just out of curiosity, I checked both my PS3 and PC internet speed from http://www.speedtest.net/

So here's the stats:

PC   is getting 20833 kbs (download), 3544 kbs (upload), 23ms (ping)
PS3 is getting 10864 kbs (download), 3069 kbs (upload), 77ms (ping)
So as for my setup, Both are wired and using Comcast Cable high speed internet.  I tried every combination that I've found on the internet (ie., changing settings on the router (like putting it in DMZ, putting settings for Port Forwards) , direct connect to the cable modem, using cat 6, using cat 5e, and the list goes on and on....).  What ever the settings are, the internet speed stats are the same.  The PS3 numbers are slower than the PC...

I'm wondering if anyone is seeing the download, upload and ping on the PS3 slower than the PC.  In reality, the PC and PS3 numbers should be the same.  Right!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance,  TAE

Message Edited by TAE-itlogNurFace on 12-19-2008 02:12 PM
Message 1 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: PS3 Internet Speed

Dec 20, 2008

So, Does anyone have a solution or understanding of this?

Message 2 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
93 posts

Dec 20, 2008

My best guess would be, that your connecting to the PSN on PS3 and getting internet through that. Whereas a PC you connect to the internet from your ISP.

Example - Hosting games on PS3 and PC

PS3 - say on GTA4 you create/host a game, your actually hosting a game on the PSN, not your PS3.

PC - you'd host directly on your system.

Hope that made some sense.

Message 3 of 16 (600 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 21, 2008

I sort of understand what you are saying...

Are you trying to say that the PSN is the possible cause of the difference?

Thanks, TAE

Message 4 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Dec 21, 2008
yes, the psn runs on its on servers, not your ps3. so yea. idk if that made since, but its like your running on there servers. idk how else to explain it
40gb PS3 Proud Owner since 2/8/07
Games Owned-COD WAW,WarHawk,Socom.
Message 5 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Dec 21, 2008
Either way, it doesn't matter, you get incredible speeds on your PS3.
Message 6 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Dec 21, 2008

TAE-itlogNurFace wrote:

All-

Just out of curiosity, I checked both my PS3 and PC internet speed from http://www.speedtest.net/

So here's the stats:

PC   is getting 20833 kbs (download), 3544 kbs (upload), 23ms (ping)
PS3 is getting 10864 kbs (download), 3069 kbs (upload), 77ms (ping)
So as for my setup, Both are wired and using Comcast Cable high speed internet.  I tried every combination that I've found on the internet (ie., changing settings on the router (like putting it in DMZ, putting settings for Port Forwards) , direct connect to the cable modem, using cat 6, using cat 5e, and the list goes on and on....).  What ever the settings are, the internet speed stats are the same.  The PS3 numbers are slower than the PC...

I'm wondering if anyone is seeing the download, upload and ping on the PS3 slower than the PC.  In reality, the PC and PS3 numbers should be the same.  Right!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance,  TAE

Message Edited by TAE-itlogNurFace on 12-19-2008 02:12 PM

|I haven't done this since I get a pretty damn good speed in both PS3 and PC; but I'm here to say a few things regarding some of the things that have been said in here.

@TAE-itlogNurFace: Since you are into this you should give do the other side of the test. Without signing into the PSN, just fire the internet browser and head over to speedtest.net and run a test. Now to be fair, now sign into the PSU and fire the browser and head over to speedtest.net and do another test.  Now see how much the difference  between the two is.

@Jerry_Sizzla:

"My best guess would be, that your connecting to the PSN on PS3 and getting internet through that. Whereas a PC you connect to the internet from your ISP."

In your post, you make it sound like the PSN is an ISP. When you connect to the PSN you connect through your ISP, which is the same you use to connect to the internet with your PC.   Does the PSN causes some drag  on the result he would get from running an internet bandwidth test? Yes, indeed.  Also, don't forget that the browser has some saying in the speed result as well. 

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 7 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
395 posts

Dec 23, 2008
the ps3 as to use half of ur internet speed consantly to maintain u being logged in and connected to sonys servers, thats y downloads are so slow on the ps3 evn if it has a proccerers 2x faster than a overclocked alienware computor
One time, my PS3 randomly burst into flames and it still worked. So I continued playing while it was on fire.
asdf
Message 8 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
394 posts

Dec 23, 2008

Jerry_Sizzla wrote:

My best guess would be, that your connecting to the PSN on PS3 and getting internet through that. Whereas a PC you connect to the internet from your ISP.

Example - Hosting games on PS3 and PC

PS3 - say on GTA4 you create/host a game, your actually hosting a game on the PSN, not your PS3.

PC - you'd host directly on your system.

Hope that made some sense.

That doesn't make any sense to the issue in question -- to browse the web the PS3 doesn't have to do it through the PSN, that's just silly. Lol, just imagine, whenever the PSN is down for maintenance we couldn't use our browsers.

GTP_Coxis
Message 9 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
18928 posts

Dec 24, 2008

JamesP96 wrote:
the ps3 as to use half of ur internet speed consantly to maintain u being logged in and connected to sonys servers, thats y downloads are so slow on the ps3 evn if it has a proccerers 2x faster than a overclocked alienware computor

You know, I have no   problem with internet speed when it comes to my PS3. I can download full movies in an average of 20 minutes. 

Btw, I would love to read that article/the source of you statement which you make sound so much like a fact. I love to read about technical stuff, even more when it deals with products I own.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 10 of 16 (600 Views)
0 Likes