Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 03 2011
By: Sethizzle10 First Son 7 posts

PS3 Hard Drive is corrupted/Safe Mode doesn't help

2 replies 283 views Edited Jan 3, 2011

I own the 80gig backwards compatible PS3, I think it was like the 2nd one made

I've booted my PS3 into safe mode multiple times, and every time I get the message that my hard drive needs to be formatted. When I try to format my hard drive it stops at 11% preventing me from restoring or doing anything else

I have literally tried everything in the safe mode to fix this problem, but nothing seems to be working

Any help would be appreciated!

-Seth

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 3 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: PS3 Hard Drive is corrupted/Safe Mode doesn't help

Jan 3, 2011

I would think then, you can try formatting the HDD in a PC or another PS3.  If you go that route, do a Full Format, as it will check the drive for errors.

If the drive is okay, then they should format it just fine, and you can put it back into your PS3 and see how it goes.

If the drive is bad, then you can just buy a new HDD, they are relatively inexpensive.  A standard 2.5" SATA Notebook drive is what the PS3 uses.

If the drive is okay, and your PS3 still doesn't format it, then you can still try another drive, and find out for sure if your PS3 just refuses to format a hard drive.  If it does refuse to format, then something may be wrong with the PS3 that would require having it sent off to fix (with Sony I think).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 3 (283 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Re: PS3 Hard Drive is corrupted/Safe Mode doesn't help

Feb 11, 2013

Im having a similar problem.  When I boot up my PS3 it automatically takes me to the recovery mode and tells me to update with 4.31 or later.  When i downloaded the update on PS3.com it formats it up to 3% and errors.  Maybe i have to do something with the PUP file to open it or something i need help.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 3 (156 Views)
0 Likes