Mar 13 2012
By: kingofall214 First Son 8 posts

PS3 HDMI wire help

13 replies 20 views Edited Mar 13, 2012

Ok, so I got a ps3 slim hooked up to my hd tv with a HDMI wire. It works fine most of the time but it does this every so often and it drives me crazy. I will be on the ps3 xmb and i will go to play my game and the screen will go black and stay that way. My TV says what output like 720p or whatever and the game will play sound but there will be no picture. Usally if i wiggle the HDMI wire around a little it will then show picture but I hate having to get up and move the tv ect. ect. It will also happen when I quit a game. It seems it does this everytime it changes output. Any ideas what might be causing this. Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Re: PS3 HDMI wire help

Mar 13, 2012

if your having to wiggle the hdmi cord plug around to get it to work then its a faulty hdmi cord and you need a new one.

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 2 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 13, 2012

You can get HDMI cables inexpensively at Monoprice.com, computer stores or clearance outlets.

Message 3 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
8 posts

Mar 13, 2012

So you thinks its the cord? It's just weird that it only does it when i switch to a game or quit a game.

Message 4 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I agree with the above suggestions, which is why (switching subjects slightly) I always recommend not using Monster cable or any of those other 10x priced HDMI cables. Litterally, the biggest waste of money you could ever undertake. Not saying they are crappy cables, but loose connectors or a cable getting bent to the point of damage can happen to any cable. All the gold plating in the world won't make a digital cable any better.

They are preying on the fact that people are used to having to invest in quality cables during the analog age of home theater. That and the guy that just sold you a $2000 TV is standing there telling you, "Hey, if you invested that much in your TV, don't you want the best possible experience??? Don't balk at buying the best cable, because I know you have great taste in home multimedia..." But with digital that's not the case. Yeah, you can get a bad cable that does wierd stuff, but I'd sure rather have only paid $5 for a cable that has a loose connector than $50.

I second the recommendation for Monocable. I think I got mine there too.

Message 5 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 13, 2012

Try wiggling it when you're not in a game.

Message 6 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 13, 2012

No I don't think its the cable cause i just tried potato's idea of wiggiling while not in game and it stayed on the xmb and didn't black out or nothing. I also relized it happens everytime i quit call of duty mw3. it's the only time i can make it do it. other times is random. but its always when i start or quit a game. as for the cable its a short RCA i got for $15

Message 7 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 13, 2012

As a side note potato i just read your networking and connection FAQ and I was wondering if you have any tips to improving online game quality while using a hotels internet. its wifi and the signal is great but lag is a pain and i don't have access to the router. specificlly upnp isn't available

Message 8 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I don't think that test proves it's not the cable. Look at it this way. It's either your TV, the PS3, or the cable. The cable is by far the most likely cause, and it's by far the easiest and cheapest thing to replace.

If you want to narrow this down, you have to try different things, like try a different cable, or try the same cable but a different TV. If you don't want to buy a cable without knowing for sure, maybe you could take your PS3 up to a local ma and pop shop, or TV repair shop, or something where they will have lots of TVs and cables laying around, and ask if you can test whether your cable is at fault and you will buy a cable from them if it is.

Message 9 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 13, 2012

kingofall214 wrote:

Ok, so I got a ps3 slim hooked up to my hd tv with a HDMI wire. It works fine most of the time but it does this every so often and it drives me crazy. I will be on the ps3 xmb and i will go to play my game and the screen will go black and stay that way. My TV says what output like 720p or whatever and the game will play sound but there will be no picture. Usally if i wiggle the HDMI wire around a little it will then show picture but I hate having to get up and move the tv ect. ect. It will also happen when I quit a game. It seems it does this everytime it changes output. Any ideas what might be causing this. Any help would be appreciated

I think that the problem is your TV. HDMI can be finicky sometimes, and can fail when it changes output. I do suggest you try a different HDMI cable and see if you get the same results. If you do, then I would suggest you change to a Component cable, it can still provide a 1080p picture without the issues you can get from a HDMI cable...

Message 10 of 14 (20 Views)
0 Likes