Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 29 2013
By: ToxicBerserker Monster Hunter 34 posts
Accepted Solution

PS3 HDD Question

[ Edited ]
8 replies 154 views Edited Jan 29, 2013

I want to update my HDD (actually its an SSD) to the latest firmware using my computer, now last time I connected my SSD to the PC to update it, I initialized it like a noob (so far initializing causes you to reformat the drive after putting it back in the PS3) and it caused me to reformat my drive after placing the drive into the PS3. Now this time what I want to do is connect my SSD to the PC "WITHOUT" initializing the drive and just update it and put it back in my PS3. Now here's my question; if I connect it to my PC and update my SSD without initializing it, will my PS3 still tell me to reformat the drive? Or will it work like it always had? Thanks in advance!

Now before replying, please give a straight well-said answer. If you try to post something that is out of context and/or is not deemed helpful, in other words attempting to troll and/or flame my thread (or if your just trying to make smart-**bleep** remarks or even lecture me for attempting this), please do not post, you'll be wasting your time because I won't bother to take you seriously. Sorry for putting this out there but I'm getting sick and tired of some people posting sensless comments that does not contribute. It's simply a "Yes" or "No" question and should be answered discreetly.

Message 1 of 9 (154 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Re: PS3 HDD Question

Jan 29, 2013
this belongs in the support forum :smileywink:
Message 2 of 9 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 29, 2013

Ohh sorry about that, how would I go about moving it over to the Support forum? Thanks :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 9 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
91 posts

Jan 29, 2013
Can not be done that way. A PC and a PS3 use different formatting for read/write. Just use a thumb drive.
Gotta' love static IP's.
Message 4 of 9 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Live25 wrote:
Can not be done that way. A PC and a PS3 use different formatting for read/write. Just use a thumb drive.

Well the thing is, I was trying to update my SSD's built-in firmware (Vertex 4 to firmware 1.5.1), not the PS3's OS firmware. But I don't think I'll be updating it after all because I just found out that firmware 1.5.1 for the Vertex 4 is meant for manufacturers and not for end users. :smileysad: Thanks for replying. :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 9 (102 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
25153 posts

Jan 30, 2013

Still won't do you any good. The PS3 will have to format the drive to it's native system no matter what you do.

Message 6 of 9 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 30, 2013

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Still won't do you any good. The PS3 will have to format the drive to it's native system no matter what you do.

Oh I see, that's unfortunate because when they do come out with a newer firmware for end users on the Vertex 4, I'd have to back up all my data jus to update it. But for now, since the current new firmware is for manufacturers only, there's no point for me to update it now. Thanks alot, you been a great help. :smileyhappy:

Message 7 of 9 (92 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15651 posts

Jan 30, 2013

I'm interested in a Vertex 4 for my laptop. 

Which one did you buy and how much?

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 8 of 9 (87 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jan 30, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

I'm interested in a Vertex 4 for my laptop. 

Which one did you buy and how much?

I bought the Vertex 4 128GB SSD and it was $99.99 when I bought it. If your lucky, it still might be the same price. :smileyhappy: The regular price is usually $119.99.

Message 9 of 9 (84 Views)
0 Likes