First Son
8 posts

Re: PS3 Freezes With White Lines

Dec 19, 2012

Got it off. I went chemisty 101 on it and applied some heat with a hair dryer to it. The old thermal composite is sooooo dryed up. I cant even get it off of the 4 corner dyes. Should I just apply it over it? I got it off the middle dye.

Message 11 of 30 (749 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

i would put some heat on it with a hairdryer if you have one and slightly see if it will pry off but i strongly suggest you to get a razor blade to do it...

i have used this method as well but i like to put a little heat onit first but i just like to be extra careful..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISseI4Ebaak

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 12 of 30 (748 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

woops didn't see your last post....lol

you NEED to get that off..DO NOT just apply over it or you will kill your system for sure...take some alcohol and scrape it off real good..either way you have to get it off so it has a new layer of new..

Message 13 of 30 (747 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

I will do what I can. It is really dry on there. I really think this is what the problem is.

Message 14 of 30 (745 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

dont be afraid to use a little pressure on it when scraping it off....i have also used finger nail polish remover to help loosen it up..

Message 15 of 30 (743 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

i also just realized back in my earlier post i said to put thermal compound on the ram and adhesive on the GPU..don't know what i was thinking because its actually opposite, thats why its harder to get off the four chips but i have actually just used thermal paste for all of it without using any adhesive at all and will actually work better..you just have to be careful putting it back together and make sure the spreader dont move when applying the heatsink back on during the last step.....

Message 16 of 30 (740 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

So you can put thermal paste on the ram??

Message 17 of 30 (736 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

absolutely you can you just have to be VERY careful when setting the heatsink back on so it don't move and once thats done and tightened up nothing moves no where..lol

Message 18 of 30 (731 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

what many people don't realize is that thermal adhesive is actually just for things that dont get no other clamp or mount and adhesive does not conduct as well as paste does not even close really....they did this with the ps3 to make the manufacturing process easier and thats it but like i said just be careful soit don't move around when putting back the heatsink and your good....

back when i used to mod original xboxes they used adhesive compound for the GPU heatsink as there was no other clamp or mount(on certain models) and when you upgraded the heatsink that came with mounting hardware you used thermal paste and the temps would drop by at least 20 F. minimum and thats a very big difference,and was needed for the extensive mods these things had to make them last a long time as use for a multimedia center...still love mine and use it all the time..just for kicks.heres a pic of my custom job still not really complete with the case but i have had fun with it..

Message 19 of 30 (725 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Im calling it.... he has gone to the big Game Stop in the sky. Tried everything you told me and I got the yellow light of death. I applied and re-applied thermal composite, but it wasnt enough to save him. There is thermal composite all over my hands. It looks like I was caring for a wounded war victim.

Here is to five years of friendship!!!!!! Smiley Sad

Why does this stuff always happen to me right before Christmas?? Smiley Mad

This happened to my Xbox 360 right before Christmas 6 years ago. Then I got a PS3 the year after and never had a problem since...

Thanks for helping. I guess I will just play android apps.....Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 30 (723 Views)
0 Likes