Dec 19 2012
By: computermax2328 First Son 8 posts

PS3 Freezes With White Lines

29 replies 4243 views Edited Dec 19, 2012

Hello All,

I have the PS3 Slim 120 GB and for the past week it has been freezing and I would get a bunch of scrambled white lines vertically across the screen. This was after about 15 mins of gameplay.  I read up on it a little bit and had found that it might be a probem with the thermal composite on the GPU, so today I opened her up and replaced the thermal composite on the CPU and GPU. I turned it on and all was kosher. Played for a bit and then the sceen froze with no white lines. Turned it off and turned it on again and now I am getting white lines again after about 5 minutes. I have to update my PS3 to the lastest update and I keep trying to do that hoping it will help, but I keep getting white lines at various amounts of time during the update.

Here is what I am thinking now:

1. Corrupt hard drive?

2. Could this update help?

3. The GPU cant handle it any more.

4. My baby is dead.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance! Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 30 (4,243 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Re: PS3 Freezes With White Lines

Dec 19, 2012

Dude this is your PS3s way of saying its almost time to go to its grave.

When i had my old 360 my first one it had Pinstripe lines showing up everywere and even checkboard patterns so i called Microsoft and they fixed my 360 free of charge i was so happy : )

BUT Sony thinks differently and you got to smack them some gravey

So why am i talking about 360? its cause thats the exact same thing that happend to my 360 it killed over.. So you could try to fix it yourself ir enter Safe Mode and do a Format

Do you browse the web be sure to delete the Cache did your PS3 unexpectedly shut down during a save? its like you must understand to retrace any unfortunate events that may have happened or of course R.I.P PS3

Message 2 of 30 (4,236 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 19, 2012

hate to be the one to tell you the bad news but it truly sounds as if the GPU ram has had its day...there is one hope left for you though and that is to actually remove the heatspreader from the GPU itself and reapply thermal adhesive on the 4 corner ram chips and thermal compound on the GPU die(center)..

you have to be careful removing the heatspreader but a razor blade works well sliding it under the 4 corners and apply some heat with a hairdryer will help loosen up the center adhesive on the chip..theres also videos on youtube showing how to do it as well..

also remember to apply the thermal paste with a pea drop size as some videos show them spreading it and this is NOT the correct way to do it and will introduce air pockets and cause more issues than you had to start with..good luck and hope it works out..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 3 of 30 (4,233 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

PlushyPillow wrote:

Dude this is your PS3s way of saying its almost time to go to its grave.

When i had my old 360 my first one it had Pinstripe lines showing up everywere and even checkboard patterns so i called Microsoft and they fixed my 360 free of charge i was so happy : )

BUT Sony thinks differently and you got to smack them some gravey

So why am i talking about 360? its cause thats the exact same thing that happend to my 360 it killed over.. So you could try to fix it yourself ir enter Safe Mode and do a Format

Do you browse the web be sure to delete the Cache did your PS3 unexpectedly shut down during a save? its like you must understand to retrace any unfortunate events that may have happened or of course R.I.P PS3

safe mode and formatting have nothing to do with this issue..i have repaired many of these units and  it is the ram going dead or overheating..

Message 4 of 30 (4,231 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Well i thought it might had helped him but true so very true it wont do squat..

You may or may not want to buy a new PS3 its up to you but that PS3 is finished.

Message 5 of 30 (4,227 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

PlushyPillow wrote:

Well i thought it might had helped him but true so very true it wont do squat..

You may or may not want to buy a new PS3 its up to you but that PS3 is finished.

can't really say that for sure..sometimes the method i explained is golden and other times it does no good...really depend on if the chips have suffered internal damage but if its just from overheating and theres no internal damage this could fix his issue..it's truly about a 50/50 chance but well worth giving it a shot...

Message 6 of 30 (4,224 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Yeah true your right but maybe the guy is not willing to do it because lets be real man its a complicated process i tried to do that with my 40gb and i completely forgot how to reassemble it entirely so i gave up on it, kept the hard drive, sixaxis and just threw it away cause it just was not worth doing it in the first place.

I did several DIY method with my Xenon 360 to keep it alive "Penny, External Fans, Tightening the heat sinks what ever is on youtube" but since my last fix i reinstalled the DVD drive incorrectly and my a** was ban from LIVE cause of that little flaw it was risky so i just threw it away they tought i was modding but its just the wires i got hooked up wrong . At least my System S never fails me and my slim ps3 no problemos dude

Message 7 of 30 (4,214 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

I will never give up! I tore this thing apart about 5 times yesterday. I know it like the back of my hand. It would be like letting my best friend die in front of me and I will not let that happen!

Going to get ready for surgery again. I will report back with what I find.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 30 (4,207 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 19, 2012

thats what i like to hear....lol

Message 9 of 30 (4,200 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 19, 2012

Any advice on how to get this head speader off?? I don't have a razor blade. They reallyyyyyyyyy put this thing on there!

Message 10 of 30 (4,198 Views)
0 Likes