Jan 24 2011
By: StrayXL First Son 1 posts

PS3 Fat to PS3 Slim Harddrive change

6 replies 5340 views Edited Jan 24, 2011

Hello, I Just Got a PS3 Slim because my Old PS3 got the yellow light of death and i got it repaired 2 times at a shop, but now the 3rd time they said its unrepairable and i never backed up my stuff. so i changed my PS3 Slim harddrive with my Fat Harddrive but it says it needs to reformat the Old Harddrive and says some of my data will be lose, so i want to know will i lose all my data if i do so, and also if i change the Hard Drive to another Fat PS3 will it be ok and can I do a data transfer from that PS3

Message 1 of 7 (5,340 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1229 posts

Re: PS3 Fat to PS3 Slim Harddrive change

Jan 24, 2011

You will lose all your data unless you get your old PS3 working again and do a backup or a data transfer.

Countless threads on this.

Sign by Danasoft - Get Your Free Sign
Message 2 of 7 (5,340 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Yup,each PS3 encrypts the internal hard drive when formatting in order to prevent sharing of PSN content.

Very malicous of SONY corp. not to mention this in any of their retail literature.  If they did, it would be much more odviouis just how important it is to do a back up.  More important than a PC because at least with a PC if your motherboard fails (or anything besides a HDD for that matter) you can just stick your hard drive into another/new computer and away you go. Can't do that with a PS3

Message 3 of 7 (5,340 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
356 posts

Jan 24, 2011

If you have the old back-up from before, just use that to restore it.  Hard Drives in the PS3 cannot simply be swapped, if you can get the old PS3 working with the Hairdryer trick, you can use the data transfer utility.

That's what I did.

On a side note, since you got a new PS3 instead of repairing one with Sony, you can't re-download any video content (if you purchased any)

Photobucket

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 7 (5,340 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1847 posts

Jan 24, 2011

StrayXL wrote:

Hello, I Just Got a PS3 Slim because my Old PS3 got the yellow light of death and i got it repaired 2 times at a shop, but now the 3rd time they said its unrepairable and i never backed up my stuff. so i changed my PS3 Slim harddrive with my Fat Harddrive but it says it needs to reformat the Old Harddrive and says some of my data will be lose, so i want to know will i lose all my data if i do so, and also if i change the Hard Drive to another Fat PS3 will it be ok and can I do a data transfer from that PS3

you may want to read over what i high lighted to answer your question.... a format completely wipes a hardrive of all and any data stored on it.

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars

Free userbars
Message 5 of 7 (5,340 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts