Dec 26 2007
By: zombietodd~ First Son 13 posts

PS3 Disk Drive not working (disk not showing up on screen and not spinning)

26 replies 11997 views Edited Dec 26, 2007
So I've had the amazing luck of having my PS3 fail the day after Christmas.  What's better is that most of my gifts were PS3 games and Bluray movies.  But enough about that, I thought I'd post my problem before contacting support to see if anyone here can help me.

While playing UT3 my system froze up (was still playing audio), but I could not reboot the system using the controller or reset button, so I had to turn it off with the power button in the back.  Once I powered it back on the game disk was not showing under games.  I tried various other disks - PS3 games, Bluray movies, PS1 games etc. all with the same result.  I tried various resets of the system etc.  (the only thing I have not done is a complete Playstation Default settings reset).  I also noticed that the drive is not even spinning when I put the disks in - they come out in the same position they went in as.  Drive motor broke?

I purchased my PS3 back in April, so I guess it's still under manufacturer warranty.  But if anyone knows any troubleshoot I can do to fix this please let me know, I would really appreciate it.  Also, I purchased my 60GB model at a Walmart, would I be able to return this to them or will I have to return it to Sony?  What is the process for returns - is it the same as Xbox 360, do they send you a box etc?

Thanks very much for any info you can provide.
Message 1 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

Re: PS3 Disk Drive not working (disk not showing up on screen and not spinning)

Dec 26, 2007
Yeah I got the same problem, every time i play fifa i can keep playing but the sound stops, but then eventually it gets stuck...I think your Blu-Ray Rotor is messed up, I called Sony and am sending it in.  Try DVD's or PS2 games to check if its just the Blu-Ray's that aren't working.  Lot's of people are having this problem suddenly, but for now the only solution is calling up Sony.
Message 2 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 26, 2007
Thanks for the info.  Do they send you a box or anything to send it back in?  Do they pay for shipping etc.  What is the overall process I guess is what I am asking?
Message 3 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Dec 26, 2007
You bought the PS3 in April but didn't start to use it until Christmas day?! **bleep**'s the deal with that? were you away or was it just always planned to be opened at xmas? There wasn't even the big price drop  in April... that sucks for you bro!
Message 4 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
773 posts

Dec 26, 2007

GodofMidgetz wrote:
You bought the PS3 in April but didn't start to use it until Christmas day?! **bleep**'s the deal with that? were you away or was it just always planned to be opened at xmas? There wasn't even the big price drop  in April... that sucks for you bro!

Living in a world of idiots. He never said he waited till Christmas to play the PS3 he bought in april. Do you make this stuff up in your head or do you hear voices?
Message 5 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5400 posts

Dec 26, 2007
wow bad luck like me lol same thing is happening to me with the same game lol i guess send it in like i am doing they will replace it
Message 6 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, I didn't wait to Xmas to play, just got a lot of new stuff to use on it for Xmas.  Also, tried a DVD in it as well and the same deal.  I guess I'll give them a call tomorrow some time.  Thank god I have Crysis to play right now (man that game is difficult). To anyone having the same problem I feel for you!
Message 7 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2007
I bought mine (80gb) in late November, gave it to my son for Christmas, and it worked one day before it quit reading discs. 

Thankfully, Amazon has a solid return policy and a new PS3 should be here by Friday.

I can't believe that this problem is so common in Sony's flagship gaming device and their silver bullet for winning the HD format wars.  The HD DVD camp must be gloating.
Message 8 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2007
this happened to me about a week ago when play GH3...i finish a song and hand off the controller to my friend and the system didn't respond.  i did a hard-restart and no more disk drive.  it doesn't play BRDVD's, DVD's, CD's or games.  looks like i'm going to have to do the same as some of you and send it in for repairs. 

::sigh::

i guess i'll have to make due with the PS2 for a while as i don't doubt that Sony takes their time making repairs.
Message 9 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1792 posts

Dec 27, 2007

DanceCrashers wrote:
this happened to me about a week ago when play GH3...i finish a song and hand off the controller to my friend and the system didn't respond.  i did a hard-restart and no more disk drive.  it doesn't play BRDVD's, DVD's, CD's or games.  looks like i'm going to have to do the same as some of you and send it in for repairs. 

::sigh::

i guess i'll have to make due with the PS2 for a while as i don't doubt that Sony takes their time making repairs.

I had a different issue with my PS3. Mine stopped getting any power at all back in Nov. I sent it out to them on the 17th of Dec however because I was expecting it to take the 10-14 days I was told. Instead it took a lot less time than that. I left for Alaska on the 18th which was the day they get my system and actually made it to my final destination here on the 19th. After I got here I checked my email and saw that Sony had already sent out my new comsole to me. However Ive so far missed the first two deliveries and will also miss the 3rd one today. Good thing UPS has a 5 day hold so I can pick it up when I get back to town on New Years Eve. The 1st delivery attempt was on Christmas Eve.
Message 10 of 27 (11,997 Views)
0 Likes