Jan 09 2013
By: HomeStuck_ Lombax Warrior 162 posts

PS3 DRM is not fair

15 replies 2636 views Edited Jan 9, 2013

Hi so earlier today i was talking to my friend and i was using my PS3 the screen went green so i checked if it was my HDTV it wasnt because my PC is connected to the VGA on my screen and it was fine so i checked the PS3 and it was the HDMI cable.

I tried to see if anything was tangled or something and the HDMI was completely fine i unplugged it restarted my PS3 and see if it worked and nothing 9 minutes later the HDMI stopped displaying picture and sound no longer came out.

I was very upset cause it was a $40 dollar HDMI cable so i switched to my emergency Component cables in my AUX closet were i keep other emergancy equipment for my electronics and i wanted to watch a Blu Ray and the screen went to 480p.. so i was ok relax dont be annnal and just check my setup and it was set to 480p, 720p, 1080i "1080p wont work for some reason" so i tried a DVD and it was 480p also.

So i looked up the issue and its mostly a DRM "Digital Rights Management" issue.. To prevent Illegal playbay and HDMI having anti piracy codes or something..

So im sure your saying buy another HDMI cable my answer to you is NO i had 2 already they just keep breaking and there expensive.

Do you think DRM on PS3 is unfair

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 1 of 16 (2,636 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29426 posts

Re: PS3 DRM is not fair

Jan 9, 2013

No.

Message 2 of 16 (2,620 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 9, 2013
There are much cheaper HDMI cables available to buy. There should be discount stores near you where you can get one for at least $10. Since HDMI cables are all practically the same, there shouldn't be a noticeable difference...
Message 3 of 16 (2,611 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Well i think the opposite if its cheap its bound to not work but in this case i kinda do see what you mean i keep reading that HDMI have no real differences from cheap and expensive only maybe in how long it is.

Im stuck using Component and my HDMI cables never did last that long my Component cable works fine and i owned it for 11 months and the HDMI lasted 3 months and the other one lasted 5 months

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

Message 4 of 16 (2,606 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Jan 9, 2013

While I don't know anything about drm on the PS3, my 5 dollar hdmi cable from walmart for my ps3 works just as good as the 40 dollar hdmi my father in law bought for his blu-ray player. The cables have a huge difference is just a bunch of flim-flam.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 5 of 16 (2,588 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jan 9, 2013
Hypothetically, all you're paying for really is build quality in HDMI cables, and even then, that's not always the case
Message 6 of 16 (2,578 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jan 9, 2013

I have had the same $15 HDMI cable hooked up to my PS3 for 2 years now and haven't had a problem. A few times the the picture did cut out but turning the TV off then back on brought it back. I'm not sure what this has to do with DRM, just sounds like your cable messed up.

Message 7 of 16 (2,576 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 9, 2013

its not the fact that the cable busted on me its the fact that without the cable i cant watch dvds and blurays in HD because of DRM on the PS3 and PS3 is very DRM..ish it cant play music on some games online either or on games themselves but thankfully i have my ipod.

the PS3 is my only movie playing device in my house so of course i need a new cable cause i dont like 480p on my movies

Message 8 of 16 (2,566 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 9, 2013

yeah makes sents why the guy kept braging about 24k gold and 3d support and it has better speed etc..... my component cables have gold plated 24k connectors and dont seem to help at all

Message 9 of 16 (2,565 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 9, 2013

i guess its just making it look fancy and stuff my first costed me $60 and my second costed me $40 so i thought in my second to go cheaper and i bought a Belkin HDMI cable for $30... that was the cheapest i could find

Message 10 of 16 (2,564 Views)
0 Likes