Jul 30 2009
By: SamCraig First Son 2 posts

PS3 Controller Ap for the iPhone

12 replies 28115 views Edited Jul 30, 2009

I was wondering if anyone here knew of an App being developed, could develop an App or even thinks that it would be cool to have a PS3 controller app on the iPhone which (at least for my purposes) would replace the remote control used for watching movies.  I would think since the iPhone and PS3 both utilize bluetooth that this would at least be possible.  Wouldn't be bad if you could also use an iPhone as a game controller too.  But I'm more interested in using it as a remote (I have a remote - I just like to consolidate devices   )

Thoughts? Any programmers out there want to take a shot at it. No doubt it would sell quite a bit, no?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Re: PS3 Controller Ap for the iPhone

Jul 30, 2009

interesting idea (the remote more than the controller)

I want to see an iphone app that handles trophies and possibly the buddy list.

42" Panasonic Plasma TH-42PZ700U 1080p w/ Yamaha 5.1 720W Surround Sound
Get to Know Your Fellow Gamer Thread!
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Jul 30, 2009

The iPhone would have to support the type of command over bluetooth that the PS3 utilizes in order to transmit the button presses properly. Software emulation of the buttons shouldn't be a problem, seeing as they make touch screen remotes these days. In theory, it's possible to make a remote control program for the iPhone, or even any of the Android powered phones.

A controller however, I see as not likely. The PS3 controller uses buttons that respond differently to hard presses, and light presses, as well as the analog sticks. You could make a simple controller, but it wouldn't be like using a true controller. The buttons would all have to be simply on or off, the analog sticks MIGHT be able to be done in the sense of detecting a finger slide from center point to the edge of a circle... Shoulder buttons (L1, L2, R1, R2) would have to be done on the screen. But this would be a TON of intricate programming, and I doubt you would ever find this program for free. Plus, it would be more difficult to use than a controller, seeing as you'd have 15 buttons on the face of the phone (shoulder buttons, standard "action" buttons, D-Pad, start, select, and PS button) that you'd have to try and press with just your thumbs (unless you laid it down and tried using it as a keyboard, which that wouldn't be to easy considering the layout that would be needed to fit on the screen, and the way that we use the analog sticks).

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3296 posts

Jul 30, 2009
Impossible as of now. The blutooth profile/services required for sending the controller data to the PS3 is not avaliable on the iPhone SDK.
freak020
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Jul 30, 2009

freak020 wrote:
Impossible as of now. The blutooth profile/services required for sending the controller data to the PS3 is not avaliable on the iPhone SDK.

Jailbreak, Cydia

Problem solved.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3843 posts

Jul 30, 2009

Kaivarri wrote:

The iPhone would have to support the type of command over bluetooth that the PS3 utilizes in order to transmit the button presses properly. Software emulation of the buttons shouldn't be a problem, seeing as they make touch screen remotes these days. In theory, it's possible to make a remote control program for the iPhone, or even any of the Android powered phones.

A controller however, I see as not likely. The PS3 controller uses buttons that respond differently to hard presses, and light presses, as well as the analog sticks. You could make a simple controller, but it wouldn't be like using a true controller. The buttons would all have to be simply on or off, the analog sticks MIGHT be able to be done in the sense of detecting a finger slide from center point to the edge of a circle... Shoulder buttons (L1, L2, R1, R2) would have to be done on the screen. But this would be a TON of intricate programming, and I doubt you would ever find this program for free. Plus, it would be more difficult to use than a controller, seeing as you'd have 15 buttons on the face of the phone (shoulder buttons, standard "action" buttons, D-Pad, start, select, and PS button) that you'd have to try and press with just your thumbs (unless you laid it down and tried using it as a keyboard, which that wouldn't be to easy considering the layout that would be needed to fit on the screen, and the way that we use the analog sticks).

i agree with the controllerpart, i dont think we'll see that anytime soon. but, the remote idea isn't bad at all, its already being done, i have an app on my iphone that bluetooth remotes my laptop, granted i don't use it that often, but every once and awhile i'll plug my laptop into my tv and watch some of the "digital copy" movies that i get from some friends of mine and its kinda cool to be able to control my laptop with my iphone that way.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
437 posts

Jul 30, 2009

ctfw529 wrote:

Kaivarri wrote:

i agree with the controllerpart, i dont think we'll see that anytime soon. but, the remote idea isn't bad at all, its already being done, i have an app on my iphone that bluetooth remotes my laptop, granted i don't use it that often, but every once and awhile i'll plug my laptop into my tv and watch some of the "digital copy" movies that i get from some friends of mine and its kinda cool to be able to control my laptop with my iphone that way.

Did you ever try this app on the PS3, if they both use bluetooth, I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
90% of the time it works.. every time
narc0lept1cn1nja
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Jul 30, 2009

Narc0lept1cN1nja wrote:

ctfw529 wrote:

Kaivarri wrote:

Did you ever try this app on the PS3, if they both use bluetooth, I see no reason why this wouldn't work.

because they're totally different software interfaces...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
702 posts

Jul 30, 2009

DirtyOFries wrote:

MyPSN App. 

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - SketchyMidnight
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17841 posts

Jul 30, 2009

SketchyMidnight wrote:

DirtyOFries wrote:

MyPSN App. 

whoa, pretty snazzy, thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (28,115 Views)
0 Likes