Jul 14 2012
By: airpirate545 First Son 4 posts

PS3 Constantly Freezing During Gameplay (Overheating)

3 replies 337 views Edited Jul 14, 2012

Recently my PS3 has begun to act up whenever I try to play a game, about 30 minutes into gameplay (this happened with me in NBA 2K12 and Catherine, the only games I really play nowadays), the game's music will stop playing and the game will eventually freeze up. I have to shut the PS3 off before it is usable again. I have reason to believe it is overheating because when I eject the disc after this happens, the disc is very warm. I have always kept my PS3 in a cabinet and this has never happened to me before so I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help me?

Message 1 of 4 (337 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29177 posts

Re: PS3 Constantly Freezing During Gameplay (Overheating)

Jul 14, 2012

airpirate545 wrote:

Recently my PS3 has begun to act up whenever I try to play a game, about 30 minutes into gameplay (this happened with me in NBA 2K12 and Catherine, the only games I really play nowadays), the game's music will stop playing and the game will eventually freeze up. I have to shut the PS3 off before it is usable again. I have reason to believe it is overheating because when I eject the disc after this happens, the disc is very warm. I have always kept my PS3 in a cabinet and this has never happened to me before so I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help me?

Well that's part of the problem. The console needs at least six inches of clearance on all sides. Put it in a more open location. Second, have you ever cleaned it? 

Message 2 of 4 (329 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 15, 2012

I can't say I have, what's the full process of cleaning a PS3 Slim entail?

Message 3 of 4 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
4 posts

Jul 15, 2012

I've done a bit of online troubleshooting and found that replacing the thermal paste might help, is this a solution worth checking into?

Message 4 of 4 (301 Views)
0 Likes