Jun 04 2012
By: morrislevy First Son 12 posts

PS3 Blinking Red Light

10 replies 3222 views Edited Jun 4, 2012

Hi All,

I have an original PlayStation 3 (fat) 60 Gb with the full backwards compatibility, or at least I did...  Here's what happened:

I have done some preliminary research into this.  I experienced the "RLOD" or blinking red light on Saturday night.  Previously, the fan was very loud while playing Battlefield 3 a few days before.  Saturday morning, I played Driver: San Francisco and browsed the PSN Store.  I did nothing of importance.

Saturday evening I went to watch a movie with my girl, "Moneyball", and after a few moments of trailer playback, the images slowed to a halt and eventually froze.  The input to the remote has seized, and the system became unresponsive.

I was desperate to make sure the PS3 was okay at this time so I tried to power cycle it and turn back on (soft power on/off) and I would get to the "PS3 logo" and then the system error / warning stating "your PS3 was shut down incorrectly last time, and will need to check the system for errors".  I attempted to use the remote, a controller, as well as connecting a controller through USB to press "OK" but could not as the Bluetooth was not linking (blinking red on devices meaning not paired to the system).

After reading articles I found online, I decided it was best to unplug everything from it, including the power cable, shutting it off, and removing the AC adapter.  I let it sit overnight and did not attempt to use until a solid 12+ hours had passed.

I then powered on my system yesterday morning, got a little further than previously;  I got the "PS3 logo" and then the system error / warning stating "your PS3 was shut down incorrectly last time, and will need to check the system for errors".  I had a controller in-hand and was able to pair it, then selected "OK".  The system began the repair process, and at 5%, it shut itself off and hit the red blinking light once again.

I am looking for further instruction.  I am an IT professional and would like expert advice on how to go about resolving this issue, either cheaply, D.I.Y., or the right way by paying someone.  It is an old system and I know the warranty is expired.  However, I don't want to void what is left of the warranty.  I'd like to pay Sony to fix it.  Ideally, I would like to know whether or not my data is safe and can be recovered.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
-- Morris

Get your Portable ID!
Message 1 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: PS3 Blinking Red Light

Jun 4, 2012

This sounds like the precursor to the YLOD. You should open it up, give it a good cleaning, and reapply the thermal paste. Logical_Dolphin has a good guide and other suggestions on this link.

http://www.squidoo.com/3-tips-for-a-cooler-running-and-greener-ps3-system-models-cecha01-cechg01-

Message 2 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jun 4, 2012

Yeah...my system tried to repair itself just like that. I tried to do that repair 2 times (both times it froze and shut down the system) and after that YLOD. I took mine to Endless Electronics and got it back and running within a week.

- Amy

amata21
Message 3 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jun 4, 2012

amata21 wrote:

Yeah...my system tried to repair itself just like that. I tried to do that repair 2 times (both times it froze and shut down the system) and after that YLOD. I took mine to Endless Electronics and got it back and running within a week.

- Amy

amata21

I usually recommend EE. I used them myself. They did request a DIY solution though. One week? That's incredible. Took mine a month. Not complaining I'm very satisfied.

Message 4 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jun 4, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

Took mine a month.

Photobucket simpsonsfamilyhouse

EE and I are in the same area, so I did not have to waiting on shipping at all, that helped!

- Amy

amata21
Message 5 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jun 4, 2012

I live in New Hampshire, so it's out-of-the-question to drop it off in person.  I would have to ship it, or will need to repair myself.  Otherwise (regardless), does everyone agree that it is confirmed overheating?  I want to be sure before any work is performed.  Thank you all for your help thusfar.

Regards,
-- Morris

Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Jun 4, 2012

It's hard to "confirm" anything over the net without video. Turn it on again and watch the lights carefully. Or you can mail it to EE and they'll diagnose it and tell you what repairs are needed. Mailing it to them is the norm. It's how I had mine reballed.

Message 7 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2533 posts

Jun 5, 2012

i've heard good things about gophermods...

Message 8 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jun 5, 2012

You mean these guys?

http://www.gophermods.com/

Hi All,

Please guys, stop giving me ads and ideas for outsourcing; I want to probably do this myself.

Either that, or someone post places they have actually used for business and are reliable.

I may want to do this thermal upgrade myself, as I really can't trust sending valuables halfway across the country.

Any suggestions, ideas, past experiences, or recommendations as whether I should or shouldn't try to fix it myself?

THANK YOU.

Regards,
-- Morris

Get your Portable ID!
Message 9 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Jun 6, 2012

are you handy with electronics? i mean really good with them? you can reball them yourself but i will warn you it's not very fun and is very time consuming work,i did it with success on a 360 and im not sure i would ever want to do it again but may try one time with a ps3 in the future..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 10 of 11 (3,222 Views)
0 Likes